Pirate Castings (1 Viewer)

johnnybach

Major General
Here's a couple of pics of 15 Pirate castings that I purchased from Andrew at Replica Model Metal Soldiers.

I recognise a few of them as Johillco metal Pirates - but there are a few that I don't recognise at all. I have an idea that they may in fact be recasts in metal, of some old plastic figures from the likes of Cherilea, Charbens, Crescent and maybe even Timpo - but not being a plasics collector - I just don't know.

All of the above firms have long since ceased trading - so I guess I'll just call them "Replicas".

I've just added on a few arms/weapons which were supplied separately ( so there are options for different arms or weapons with these guys), and run a small file over all of them to remove any last traces of "flash" from seams etc., so they are almost ready for painting. I think that I'll maybe change the half-base on Long John Silver though, ( front-centre) as he's a bit unstable on his other peg-leg.

Other than that - these are almost ready to go. Look in from time to time, and maybe watch how I get along?

Should be fun.
jb

PIC_5097.JPGPIC_5096.JPG

Here's a couple of pics of 15 Pirate castings that I purchased from Andrew at Replica Model Metal Soldiers.

I recognise a few of them as Johillco metal Pirates - but there are a few that I don't recognise at all. I have an idea that they may in fact be recasts in metal, of some old plastic figures from the likes of Cherilea, Charbens, Crescent and maybe even Timpo - but not being a plasics collector - I just don't know.

All of the above firms have long since ceased trading - so I guess I'll just call them "Replicas".

I've just added on a few arms/weapons which were supplied separately ( so there are options for different arms or weapons with these guys), and run a small file over all of them to remove any last traces of "flash" from seams etc., so they are almost ready for painting. I think that I'll maybe change the half-base on Long John Silver though, ( front-centre) as he's a bit unstable on his other peg-leg.

Other than that - these are almost ready to go. Look in from time to time, and maybe watch how I get along?

Should be fun.
jb

View attachment 243387View attachment 243388

JB,

yes, some are recasts of plastics …. I can recognise some from a Chinese maker, Wing Fat and if I can find some that I had here, I'll post some photos because I did paint a set many years ago !!!

John

Heh, pirates of pirates!

These'll look good painted up.

Prost!
Brad

My mistake, the maker is Hing Fat a Chinese maker of plastic figures and I have had them for about 15 - 20 years, so not sure if still available.

This is a picture of my painted set and the original plastics … note that there was only one Pirate Captain in the set.

HingFat2.jpg

Another shot of the painted set only.

HingFat1.jpg

Hope that helps with your ID, and now looking forward to your 'lick of paint' :)

John

My mistake, the maker is Hing Fat a Chinese maker of plastic figures and I have had them for about 15 - 20 years, so not sure if still available.

This is a picture of my painted set and the original plastics … note that there was only one Pirate Captain in the set.

View attachment 243407

Another shot of the painted set only.

View attachment 243408

Hope that helps with your ID, and now looking forward to your 'lick of paint' :)

John

Hi John - and yes it does help with the ID. Looks like I have six metal recasts of the "Hing Fat" types in my stash - and I must say, they look pretty good.

I have started giving them a few licks - but with a brush, and not the cat-o-nine-tails.

Just fancied something a bit different - and like cowboys, these can really be painted in any colour you choose.

I'll show them again when there's a bit more to see developing.

Thanks very much for the advice John - always appreciated - as it's nice to know where they came from originally. jb

I seem to be taking an age with these pirates, but it's just one of a number of projects in the pipe-line, so I might be neglecting them a bit. However, I'm making slow progress by splashing the odd drop of paint about them, every now and then. Here's a quick and colourful progress pic. jb

PIC_5100.JPG

The bald fellow with two pistols was originally plastic and in a set of six issued in 1953 by Ideal, but without a base. They've been reissued and are available from some toy soldier dealers.

The bald fellow with two pistols was originally plastic and in a set of six issued in 1953 by Ideal, but without a base. They've been reissued and are available from some toy soldier dealers.

Thanks Mike - I was wondering about him - as he wasn't either of the two lots I knew about.

He is a very nicely made casting. My understanding is that he is from a mould made by the previous owner of replica models. jb

Vintage-50s-60s-Ideal-Pirate-Ship-With-Pirates.jpg The Ideal pirates are beautiful sculpts. They were made in a rubbery material and crewed a rather cramped and under-gunned ship. The "repops" I got are made from the original moulds in hard plastic. Alas, their ship has not been reissued. The picture is from a collectors' site.

Last edited:
View attachment 243758 The Ideal pirates are beautiful sculpts. They were made in a rubbery material and crewed a rather cramped and under-gunned ship. The "repops" I got are made from the original moulds in hard plastic. Alas, their ship has not been reissued. The picture is from a collectors' site.

Arrrr! Well shiver me timbers and run out the plank! Cheers for the info Mike. I looked "Ideal Pirates" up - and they do appear to be from the 1950's, and in plastic. It also explains why the figure had no stand (base) originally, as the figures could then climb rigging etc.

I've also seen the set referred to as "Marx/Ideal Playset" - so not sure about the origins of them all - they may go back further. Again, this displays my ignorance of plastic figures in general.

My metal figure is now moulded on a stand - and is in metal, of course. I had better advise Andrew ( new owner of replica models), as he may wish to review what to do with the moulds that he inherited from the previous owner, Patrick Campbell.

jb

Last edited:
I think Andrew's OK with his version of that pirate - Ideal went out of business way back in the 20th century. Marx had an 8 piece set of pirates in 60mm, and then more from a playset that was never issued. The latter look like the source for other Replica figures. They are all shown here: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/toysoldierhq/Marxpir.html (This site also mentions some other metal recasts of the Ideal guys.)

Last edited:
Arrrr! Well done, they be, very pretty, me hearties, very pretty, arrr, arrr.

It's taken mw quite a while - but I have completed two more Pirate castings from Andrew ( Replica metal model soldiers), which can now join their shipmates.

These are replicas of the old JoHillco models, and are of a Pirate sitting on a barrel, playing an accordian - and another kneeling by a treasure chest. Haaar!!! jb

Cheers Andrew.:cool:

PIC_5138.JPG

Great finish and a nice pair of figures, John! I like your detailing on the one pirate's waistcoat, that looks cool!

Prost!
Brad

Great finish and a nice pair of figures, John! I like your detailing on the one pirate's waistcoat, that looks cool!

Prost!
Brad

Cheers Brad - glad you like 'em. I did a few doodles on the waistcoat with an indelible pen! jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back