Please help identify the soldiers (1 Viewer)

007dan

Private
A4526442-6092-403E-AD23-D36EE7D998FF.jpeg
Hello all I just purchased these from an army navy store and really can’t find any information on them so any info you may have would be greatly appreciated thanks again

Welcome to the forum, Dan!

So, there are no markings on the underside of the bases?

Taking a wild guess, they remind me of the figures that Sergei Ilyashenko used to sell under his "Lead Army" label. He sold his business eventually to Nick Cameron of Crown Military Miniatures. Lead Army's catalog included a range of styles, from gloss and matte toy soldier finishes to connoisseur style, like the figures sold by Aero Art and other dealers in Russian figures. And he covered several periods, focusing on Russian subjects, naturally. But he sold Ancient Romans in connoisseur style, then Russians from the reign of Peter the Great, the Napoleonic wars, the Russo-Japanese War, and the First World War, all in a gloss toy soldier finish.

Sergei soured his figures from several different makers, or studios. I have some of his toy soldiers. They aren't marked, and the boxes he used were plain, no labels, just the set designation written, in Russian, on the end of the lid, in gold-colored ink.

There are other Russian makers who produce a catalog with the same kind of variety. That is, the same casting is available in various finishes. And there are several vendors who sell through eBay, and you can buy the unpainted casting, or a finished figure in various finishes.

Your photo is a little fuzzy, but it looks like these figures are more towards the toy soldier style than connoisseur, whoever the maker might be. They depict Cossacks, probably First World War, though I may be wrong.

If you could get some sharper photos, and maybe take a shot of the underside of the bases, even if there's nothing there that you think is significant, that will help. Unless, of course, someone else spots these and can identify them off the top of his head.

Prost!
Brad

I would say Don Cossacks of WWI vintage. Do they have any markings on their bases?

Dave

Sorry, but that photo is pretty out-of-focus. Could you try taking another one? You might have to hold your camera or phone back a little further.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back