Polar Bear's Birthday Gift (1 Viewer)

PolarBear

Major
In my past life before retiring from academia, I taught courses on Winslow Homer at Syracuse University (NY) and Keene State College (NH). My favorite birthday or Christmas gift of toy soldiers is one of the wonderful sets of Wm. Hocker. For my birthday this year I chose set 378 from Bill's American Civil War series which represents the 5th New York (Duryee's) Zouaves who were painted by Homer in 1865 in the painting below Pitching Quoits. It is believed that Homer owned one of their uniforms and kept it in his NY studio as a reference for the painting. Quoits was the old name for the game horseshoes and was one of the ways in which Civil War soldiers broke up the boredom between battles and skirmishes.

Attachments

• QuoitsSm.jpg
    QuoitsSm.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 375
  • WHset378Asm.jpg
    WHset378Asm.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 385
  • WHset378Bsm.jpg
    WHset378Bsm.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 411
  • WHset378Csm.jpg
    WHset378Csm.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 484
Another nice additiont to your Wm. Hocker collection Randy an it turn out to be a good 65th.......Joe

Gotta luv the colorful uniforms - Good for you Randy, a wonderful gift in recognition of your birthday.
Mike

Hi Randy,

Your birthday gift is most impressive! Mr. Hocker's figures are really nice and, of course, I love the glossy colors. Congratulations on receiving very fine acquisition!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

Happy Birthday Randy.Hope you had a wonderful day.
Mark

Red boxes on your birthday!! What could be better?? I'm delighted for you.

I'm also a fan of Homer, and had "Crack the Whip" in my conference room for years. The company merged, and the print is now in my office. We are both survivors!

Homer did some stunning images of rural America that really resonate with me.

You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir!

Crack the Whip: http://www.thewholechild.us/integrative_/Winslow_Homer_Snap_the_Whip.jpg
and another of my favorites Brothers:
http://pastorandpeople.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/boys-in-a-pasture-by-winslow-homer.jpg

Red boxes on your birthday!! What could be better?? I'm delighted for you.

I'm also a fan of Homer, and had "Crack the Whip" in my conference room for years. The company merged, and the print is now in my office. We are both survivors!

Homer did some stunning images of rural America that really resonate with me.

You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir!

Crack the Whip: http://www.thewholechild.us/integrative_/Winslow_Homer_Snap_the_Whip.jpg
and another of my favorites Brothers:
http://pastorandpeople.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/boys-in-a-pasture-by-winslow-homer.jpg

Homer's compositions are a major influence on my photographs, especially the ones with 1 or 2 figures.

Here are some other favorites:
The Brierwood Pipe
Contraband
Dad's Coming
A Flower for the Teacher
The Butterfly Girl

Attachments

• Brierwoodpipe.jpg
    Brierwoodpipe.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 193
  • contraband.jpg
    contraband.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 193
  • DadsComing.jpg
    DadsComing.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 205
  • flowerforteacher.jpg
    flowerforteacher.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Butterflygirl.jpg
    Butterflygirl.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 192
Re: Wm. Hocker set#

Great painting of the 5th NY Zouaves by Winslow Homer (I always liked his painting "A Veteran in a New Field").
This Wm Hocker set #378 is one of my Wm. Hocker favorite sets and I have currently roughly 10 of these sets/extra figures (over 100 Wm. Hocker 5th NY Zouaves) on display or or in storage. I plan later this year to show/take pics of my rather large display/diorama of Wm. Hocker/old Britains/Dorset American Civil War toy soldiers depicting the moment during the Battle of 2nd Manassas when Longstreet's Corps surprise attack overwhelmed and rolled back the 5th NY Zouaves & Union Army left wing that day.

Relating to Wm. Hocker Zouave sets, the Zouave Officer figure in Hocker set#248 French Zouaves goes very well with any & all old Britains Zouaves figures. It's simply the Zouave Officer figure Britains should've made to go with its own charging Zouave sets.

Re: Wm. Hocker set#

Great painting of the 5th NY Zouaves by Winslow Homer (I always liked his painting "A Veteran in a New Field").
This Wm Hocker set #378 is one of my Wm. Hocker favorite sets and I have currently roughly 10 of these sets/extra figures (over 100 Wm. Hocker 5th NY Zouaves) on display or or in storage. I plan later this year to show/take pics of my rather large display/diorama of Wm. Hocker/old Britains/Dorset American Civil War toy soldiers depicting the moment during the Battle of 2nd Manassas when Longstreet's Corps surprise attack overwhelmed and rolled back the 5th NY Zouaves & Union Army left wing that day.

Relating to Wm. Hocker Zouave sets, the Zouave Officer figure in Hocker set#248 French Zouaves goes very well with any & all old Britains Zouaves figures. It's simply the Zouave Officer figure Britains should've made to go with its own charging Zouave sets.

I look forward to the pictures of your collection and 100 Hocker 5th NY Zouaves sounds awesome. Thanks for posting.

Randy

The 5th NY Zouaves out of their box and ready to play with.

Attachments

• DuryeesZouavesSm.jpg
    DuryeesZouavesSm.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 131
Re: 5th NY Duryee Zouaves pics posted at Wmhocker.com

Polar Bear, we just wanted to let you know we've posted some fun pics of our Wm. Hocker & Britains 5th New York Duryee Zouaves at wmhocker.com under "Dispatches" - Alexander Jordan

Hope you enjoy!
-ozziep9

Great photos and work by Winslow Homer. That is a colorful set by Hocker. I know you had a great birthday present. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back