Pour Cavity Volume & Venting (1 Viewer)

Well this is one of the few forums for tips so here are some of my newest ones concerning pour cavity and venting:

Vocabulary

Pour cavity- the large funnel shape void in the mold that the molten metal is poured into

Figure Cavity
-the female shape of the figure/miniature

Venting-the small channels cut into the RTV to allow the metal to fully fill every space of the figure cavity; vents allow better flow of metal as well as escape of air pockets.

Size of Pour Cavity
To get good detail you need to have high pressure forcing the metal into the figures cavity. When a large volume is above a smaller volume, there is more pressure on the smaller volume. The greater the size of the larger volume the greater the multiple of force concentrated into the smaller figure.

Ideally each figure cavity should be fed by its own pour cavity as each additional figure cavity reduces the pressure applied to all figure cavities.*

For 54mm sized figures I use 3-4x the volume of pour cavity and after 2-3 casts the mold produces perfect casts. For 12mm sized figures I have been using 20x the volume to really cram that metal in and often the pressure is such that the molds dont even need to be prewarmed.

Venting

Venting should be thought of as the place for air to escape. Venting is a 'learned' technique and requires some understanding of fluid dynamics.

Think of the mold as casting a 'U' shape. The pour cavity and figure cavity make one 'arm' of the U. The venting is the curve of the U that leads all the way up to the other arm. The force of the metal running down one arm pushes all the air up and out the other arm of the U.

A beginner needs to make vents and so long as you follow the following rules you'll be good:

There should only be 1 main vent from the very bottom most of the mold to the very top- this vent will carry excess air and metal out the bottom of the casting. This is the 'J' part of your 'U'.

All other vents should be angled down toward the bottom of the mold to meet the main vent. You can have as many vents as needed so long as it aids the metals flow to fill the figures shape. warning- If you cut a vent right across then the metal will push the air back into the bottom of your U and you'll be left with an 'H'- the pour cavity, the venting and maybe a casualty figure. So remember always vent down

So remember always vent down ?

Oh yeah, Thanks sooooooooo much. Now you tell me. I already cut one in vertically upwards directionally speaking. No wonder :mad::D:D:D:)

lol I learned that the hard way too- it just means that you need to cut a fill chamber at the point where the vent goes across- that way the metal spends more time filling the fill chamber before it can get to pushing the air back into the mold ;)

Do you have any pictures of your pieces or the process? Would love to see your castings.

I will post pictures as soon as I get it right. I have tried several times with various suggestions from the Alumilite folks (heat the mold, cool the liquid, powder the mold, tap while pouring, etc). I have had limited success. One of my issues was I made a mold with two figures in it. So I like to pour both at one mixing. There is some seeping and double molding going on. At the moment the best casting is a one legged Napoleon. I think I will paint him up as a ship's master with a peg. The other figure is a Trojan or Spartan or Athenian...he is really double molding bad. It looks like the Alumilite starts to set and then another wave arrives and the figure becomes all over again. One of the castings I was able to cut the front part of the arm away to reveal a pretty good looking arm underneath.

I will post pictures as soon as I get it right. I have tried several times with various suggestions from the Alumilite folks (heat the mold, cool the liquid, powder the mold, tap while pouring, etc). I have had limited success. One of my issues was I made a mold with two figures in it. So I like to pour both at one mixing. There is some seeping and double molding going on. At the moment the best casting is a one legged Napoleon. I think I will paint him up as a ship's master with a peg. The other figure is a Trojan or Spartan or Athenian...he is really double molding bad. It looks like the Alumilite starts to set and then another wave arrives and the figure becomes all over again. One of the castings I was able to cut the front part of the arm away to reveal a pretty good looking arm underneath.

Sounds like a pretty challenging mold. Did you make the mold yourself? What are you using for clamps and are you using backer boards? Try posting the pics anyway and maybe we can figure out what is going wrong together

LOL, I happened to just glance at the title of this thread and just saw the "Venting" part and thought "Oh no, who's mad now and what's the problem?":eek:
Glad to see on closer inspection that it is actually a happy thread and that the only angst is when the metal doesn't cooperate. It appears that with some pictures and a brainstorming session of members the mold issue at hand might have a happy ending too.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back