Question about the FL Congreve Rocket Artillery (2 Viewers)

mort-aux-rois

Private
I just unwrapped my Congreve rocket group and I noticed that the two rockets that come with the launcher look different. One has cord wrapped around the end, the other is a smooth cylinder (you can see the difference on the FL website). I assuming this represents a historical detail, but I can't recall ever reading about it. Does anyone know what these two rockets represent? They look awesome regardless!

Someone else will no doubt provide more detail, but I can tell you that Congreve rockets came with different payloads, including solid round shot, explosive shells, incendiary carcass shot, and possibly shrapnel.

Someone else will no doubt provide more detail, but I can tell you that Congreve rockets came with different payloads, including solid round shot, explosive shells, incendiary carcass shot, and possibly shrapnel.

yes! and it's just killing me to have it sitting in front of me and to not know which one is which! :)

Explosive rockets had rounded or ball shaped heads which could contain grape shot, solid round shot or a large explosive head. When the charge was grape shot, the rocket was meant to explode over the heads of troops or cavalry showering them with shot and shrapnel from the exploding case. Large explosive heads were used against structures and fortifications.

Incendiary rockets had cone shaped heads to stick in buildings and ships to set them on fire. I have not seen a rocket shaped like the 2nd one by FL with a long snout. It could be incendiary or something altogether different.

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back