Question on Crimean War set (3 Viewers)

Squiggle

Private 2
I saw a picture in Toy Soldier Collector magazine from some years ago of a Crimean War toy soldier set featuring the photographer
Fenton taking a picture of some British soldiers, standing by Fenton's portable photography lab.
Does anyone know who made this set?
It looks from the bases and style that it could have been Trophy, but it is not clear.
Anyone have any leads?
Thank you,
Squiggle

I don’t know the answer to your question as to who made the set but Trophy did not make such a set.

When you find out, please let me know with a pm (personal message)
Thanks,
MikeNick

Thank you both for responding.
If/when I find out who made the set I'll let you know-

-Squiggle

Hi I am not sure either but I sent a note to the folks at the magazine, hopefully they will respond soon with an answer.

Dave

I sent a note to toy soldier collectors magazine nothing yet but we might get lucky

I got a reply from the magazine and they don’t have any idea. Sorry it seems like this will be a mystery for a while longer.

Dave

I got a reply from the magazine and they don’t have any idea. Sorry it seems like this will be a mystery for a while longer.

Dave

Thank you, Dave, for checking with Toy Soldier Collector!
I'll continue the search and post anything I find.

Squiggle

Try Tradition of London Crimea sets. I recall seeing them displayed on books.

I've had a look at the Tradition of London website, and they do have a photographer, but in the American Civil War range ....

30-5-ed96cd5f.jpg

030 5 Toy Soldier Mathew Brady with Camera

Was he the figure you saw ????
John

Trophy did do a war photographer, but it was for the Zulu War. Maybe somebody mixed two sets?

Its possible it could be a Trophy photographer lifted from another war. This photographer had suspenders, which he
had off his shoulders, if I recall the image; does this match the Trophy photographer?
It is not the Tradition photographer. I checked Alexander's Toy Soldiers for their Newberry Street range, which has a
photographer, but it wasn't him either.
At this point I suspect the scene was a mash-up of figures from different companies. What I initially assumed was the
photographer's portable darkroom may have been a closed in wagon from a different set altogether.

-Squiggle

Its possible it could be a Trophy photographer lifted from another war. This photographer had suspenders, which he
had off his shoulders, if I recall the image; does this match the Trophy photographer?
It is not the Tradition photographer. I checked Alexander's Toy Soldiers for their Newberry Street range, which has a
photographer, but it wasn't him either.
At this point I suspect the scene was a mash-up of figures from different companies. What I initially assumed was the
photographer's portable darkroom may have been a closed in wagon from a different set altogether.

-Squiggle

Here is the Trophy set

Cheers

Martyn:)

I realise that this figure isn't what you are wanting, but John Eden Studios make a set using a bellows camera on a tripod, which he sells with WW1 soldiers.

pals.jpg

WW1 Tommys which also included the roadside shrine I painted in matte finish for a local collector.
I have also seen another set with German troops on his EBay site.

I'm sure that if are wanting a camera and Crimean War figure, John could have something suitable that can be painted to suit.

John

John

Hello,
There is another photographer in Tradition's catalogue - a 54 m.m. figure catalogue number AC4A. The photographer is wearing a suit and a bowler/coke hat. It is a figure available individually, as part of a wedding set up dated 1898. https://www.traditionoflondonshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=3800
AC4A.jpg

Hi John,
First, this is an excellent scene! Great paint job!
Second, thank you for the recommendation - I will certainly take a look at John Eden Studios' website.

-Squiggle

I realise that this figure isn't what you are wanting, but John Eden Studios make a set using a bellows camera on a tripod, which he sells with WW1 soldiers.

View attachment 258054

WW1 Tommys which also included the roadside shrine I painted in matte finish for a local collector.
I have also seen another set with German troops on his EBay site.

I'm sure that if are wanting a camera and Crimean War figure, John could have something suitable that can be painted to suit.

John

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back