Random Thoughts from Andy (1 Viewer)

King & Country

1st Lieutenant
Hi Guys,

I thought you all might be interested and amused at the following international reactions :

1. Following the recent events in London the French Government announced yesterday that it has raised its terrorism alert level from “RUN” to “HIDE”.

The only two higher alert levels remaining in France are “SURRENDER” and “COLLABORATE”.

The cause for this rise in the alert level was the recent fire at “Le Drapeau Blanc” – France’s white flag factory which has effectively paralysed their military.

2. Other Updates from around Europe …

Italy has raised its alert level from “shouting excitedly” to “elaborate but ineffective military posturing”.

One more remains, “change sides”

Germany meanwhile has gone from “disdainful arrogance” to “full–dress uniform and marching songs”.

Two higher levels remain … “invade a neighbour” and “lose”.

In Britain we’ve gone from “pretend nothing’s happening” to “make another cup of tea” our next higher levels are “chin–up and remain cheerful” and finally … “lose in the beginning but win in the end”.

Across the Atlantic President Bush has announced that the U.S. has gone from “find somewhere ripe for regime change” to “OK let’s take on the world”.

I hope these few words bring a little sunshine into your day.

Best wishes to one and all.

Andy C.

The French actually have one level beyond collaborate: After being bailed out by your neighbors, turn on the countries that helped you.

The Italians have the levels you descrtibed for two reasons: (1) All the tough Italians moved to Brooklyn about 100 years ago, and (2) all the loyal Italians went with them and formed the Mafia.

Oh, and the Germans: They will swear that they never had any levels before, its all a giant international conspiracy.

You know why the French have trees along the (forgive the spelling) "chaunce a la sey" to shade the Germans when they march by.
gary

Hey guys, I know this thread was meant to be humorous and in fun but if I were a collector from Germany or France reading these posts I would not feel welcome here. History is history but let's not rub the past in people's faces. Soldier collectors are a fun and friendly bunch--let's make this forum a great place for collectors from all countries--the more the better.

Just my two cents.
Shannon

Lets not forget it was the French who helped us win our independence. Without their fleet setting off the Yorktown penninsula in 1781, we would be paying for our little soldiers in Pound Sterling.

We had Prussian help too.

This post is funny none-the-less.

gk5717 said:
You know why the French have trees along the (forgive the spelling) "chaunce a la sey" to shade the Germans when they march by.
gary

Gary,

It's les Champs- Elysées (elysian fields). I've been blessed to be there twice and am going to Paris on business in September and will certainly be walking down the Champs. Contrary to what many may think people in France, just like in other parts of the world, are very friendly. I can think of few other places where I'd rather be.

Here's a little history of one of the most famous avenues in the world:

In the 16th century this area was nothing but fields outside the center of Paris. In 1616 Marie de Medicis decided to create a long tree-lined path going east from the Tuileries. The route was redesigned in 1667 by Le Nôtre as an extension of the Jardins des Tuileries. The promenade, now called 'Grande Allée du Roule' or 'Grand-Cours' had become a fashionable place but was still isolated from the city with few buildings surrounding the area. 27 Years later the promenade was renamed to 'Champs-Elysées', or Elysian Fields in English. The name was derived from Greek mythology where 'Elusia' is a place where heroes come to relax.

In 1724 the Champs-Elysées was extended all the way to the Chaillot hill (now known as l'Etoile, the site of the Arc de Triomphe). Its current form took shape in 1838 when Hittorf, who was redesigning the Place de la Concorde, created the Jardins des Champs-Elysées. He also installed sidewalks, gas lamps and fountains. The Champs-Elysées started to attract more and more restaurants and hotels, especially after 1900 when the Paris métro line nr 1 reached the Etoile station.

The lastest redesign of the prestigious avenue was done in 1994 by Bernard Huet. The side lanes were converted into pedestrian zones, an underground parking lot was created and new trees were planted. Cars now only occupy half the width of the avenue.

Having spent about 13 of my 20-year navy career overseas, seeing 27 different countries, ranging from Europe to the Far East, I agree with all of you, Andy (I hope I can call you by your first name since I am a good income source for you and I think your stuff is fab) and Shannon and everyone inbetween, you are all correct. It is fun to joke at the expense of others and I would be the first to tell you an "Olie and Leana" joke (know what I mean Shannon). It is obvious that the competition between England and France is still alive (look at comments made when they were competing for the olympics).

I agree with jazzeum, I have been to France several times and I had a wonderful time. For a young kid from the midwest, to see the splendor of that country, its was just overpowering. England was great. I am part English my last name is Haynes.

But, I too appreciate a good joke, I hope our fellow collectors in France have a sense of humor and can provide us with some of their American and English jokes. Life is just to short to take seriously. We never get out of it alive.

Recently seen bumper sticker " French rifle for sale, Never fired, Dropped once".

nmrocks said:
Recently seen bumper sticker " French rifle for sale, Never fired, Dropped once".
It shouldn't be forgotten that the French have taken casualties in Afghanistan and that the Canadians, Spanish and Germans have all suffered fatalities, as have the Italians in Iraq. Now the ISAF in Afghanistan, a NATO-led UN-endorsed 40-something country, and 8,000 strong force. Whilst that may sound like a sad military parody of a 1970's soft drink advertisement, it's actually getting the job done of bedding down the government. And it'll be assuming further responsibilities (and taking further casualites) as US forces are redeployed to Iraq next year. So yes it's good to have a laugh at the various national characteristics but let's not forget that the future K&C SF sets could well include ISAF troops, produced over the next 10 years or more in what could be a Lebanon-type situation, which required a 2-decade UN presence.

Gary,

Just to let you know, I've returned from Europe and had a very nice walk while in Paris, all the way from the Louvre, probably the world's greatest museum, all the way to the Arch of Triumpth and including the Champs. Tres magnifique, one of the great boulevards of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back