Rat Patrol Playset (1 Viewer)

Marxmaniac

Private 1st Class
I have made a Rat Patrol Playset with box. Any suggestions for the contents are welcome. Should there be British soldiers or not. Thought about a building or two also. Contents thus far include:

28 Airfix DAK
28 Airfix German infantry in matching tan
30 Matchbox DAK
10 Revell DAK
CTS: 2 Panzer IVs, 2 hanamogs, 1 armored car, 1 88 all in tan
3 Marx recast terrain rock pieces
2 jeeps with machine guns
5 character figures that includes the German Hauptmann in gray
2 sets recast palms ferns
14 Airfix British infantry
25 Airfix British 8th Army
15 Matchbox 8th Army

Lmk. Thanks. Will attempt to post pictures. It will be my first time.

Try to include a couple of trucks...the Rat Patrol would always show up shooting and blowing up a column of soft skin trucks carrying supplies.....:salute:::salute::
Also a Stork observation plane or a BF109 would be nice....
If you were to picture those actions when they would blowing airfields them a couple of He111s would be great...
Cheers
Luiz ( a great fan of the Desert Rats also )

I have made a Rat Patrol Playset with box. Any suggestions for the contents are welcome. Should there be British soldiers or not. Thought about a building or two also. Contents thus far include:

28 Airfix DAK
30 Matchbox DAK
10 Revell DAK
15 Matchbox 8th Army

Yes, I want trucks, but don't know of ones to include. My vehicle scale is 1/38, (CTS) and I know of no trucks except Timmee. Hopefully, when they fix the mold and re release the truck, it will be released in both tan and green. MPC trucks from the reissue Battleground would work as a stop gap measure.

I keep getting upload errors when I attach my photos. Any thoughts? How do I upload? I took pictures with my iPhone. Then I go to attachments and choose file, then upload, and I get upload error.

Hi Marxmaniac,
Chances are that the pics are bigger in pixels than the tool allows to upload to the foum album, what I usually do I resize them using a resizing tool like Fotosizer ( there is a free version on the net ) and then upload them to the forum.
Try that.
Cheers
Luiz

I keep getting upload errors when I attach my photos. Any thoughts? How do I upload? I took pictures with my iPhone. Then I go to attachments and choose file, then upload, and I get upload error.

28 Airfix DAK
30 Matchbox DAK
10 Revell DAK
15 Matchbox 8th Army

Looks like a great playset...the "88" is a nice touch.

Looking forward to photos.

28 Airfix DAK
30 Matchbox DAK
10 Revell DAK
15 Matchbox 8th Army

From memory there was a small scale set of the Rat Patrol that I had as a child, which included three or four desert sand dunes in plastic jeeps to hide behind or come racing down ! Guess you could make something like them yourself from filler or something.

Steve

So if the vehicle scale is "1/38" does that mean the "Rat Patrol" will be small, or just that you will accept the old problem of big men and small vehicles? The guys need to fit ON the jeeps. Those jeeps were a signature item, not just scenery.

Gary B.

A vacuum-formed terrain piece. You could make it in several sections that you piece together that fit into the box. On it should be dunes, trails/roads and simple ruins and hills. The purchaser could paint this.

The jeeps are “gate” brand I think. The box says 1/32. The figures sit well in them. And work. I’ll send you photos Gary. How are you doing? My combat set will be the next one. Working on the box now. [SUB][/SUB]

I thought of using CTS desert oasis and adding a couple barzso TSSD CTS Alamo/Mexican buildings. I plan to make a Sahara playset with the desert oasis and a Lee Tank. I watched the James Belushi version before I Knew of the Bogart version. Any thoughts do I need to add and Conte/AIP Arabs?

Re: Rat Patrol Playset German Observation Truck

I played Rat Patrol with my old Marx Desert Fox playset back in the 60's. I remember the German officer, played by Hans Gudegast aka Eric Braeden, sometimes used a observation tower mounted on a truck. I had a red toy plastic truck which had a grey swivel boom similar to those used by power companies. This was perfect for this truck. Should have painted it khaki though and added the Afrika Korps palm!

I remember the 1/72 scale Rat Patrol set; it was made by Aurora, I think and used tanks similar to the Austrian-made ROCO mini-tanks, except the Pathers' barrels were shorter and I don't remember them having wheels. They might have been smaller, too. I think I still have the vehicles stowed in a closet with my ROCO collection.

I had it with the Anzio Beach set, another Aurora set that used Airfix figures and similar tanks. Both had pieces of scenery (again, I think I still have some stowed). They were hard plastic.

I watched "The Rat Patrol" as a kid; I liked it, but preferred "Combat!" I always thought the Rat Patrol should have been British like the real Desert Rats. I was always funny like that, even as a kid. But it was a fun show even if I suspected they used the same footage of the jeeps circling the German convoy like cowboys and Indians every week.

I wish the kids today had some fun and decent stuff to watch on TV like that.

Your set sounds great - even if the tanks are a bit small I couldn't imagine the cost if you used real 1/32 tanks and vehicles with the prices they cost (thinking FOV and others). The CTS vehicles and tanks might be a bit small, but they're still more in scale than the Marx "Battleground" vehicles my generation grew up with and would make great fun - which is what it's all supposed to be about anyway, I think.

I would not be able to get the 1/32 tanks in the box too. I do have all the FOV and 21st vehicles for this range including trucks. I am anticipating the release of the Timmee trucks. I asked for tan to put German iron crosses on for Desert or they could double as British trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back