Reality check ! (1 Viewer)

Maybe it's time to start production in the USA !

Unfortunately with labor rates being higher will not offset the lessening costs from overseas freight rates. In essence we'd be paying double the rate. Cost factors such as the start-up costs to build a the manufacturing building, for training the workers, then union wages with health and life insurance benifits.......

Unfortunately with labor rates being higher will not offset the lessening costs from overseas freight rates. In essence we'd be paying double the rate. Cost factors such as the start-up costs to build a the manufacturing building, for training the workers, then union wages with health and life insurance benifits.......

With the amount of factories currently vacant, space should not be an issue. There would be absolutely no need for a union. A company has the right to hire skilled workers based on hourly or salary wages.There is no law stating health benefits have to be provided by the employer. It is an added benefit at the discretion of the company. No need to bring the Teamsters into Toy Soldier Painting !!! {sm2} {sm3}

Get a warehouse full of illegals, work them 12 to 16 hrs. a day chained to the workbench. After all the most important thing IS cheap toy soldiers right?:confused:

With the amount of factories currently vacant, space should not be an issue. There would be absolutely no need for a union. A company has the right to hire skilled workers based on hourly or salary wages.There is no law stating health benefits have to be provided by the employer. It is an added benefit at the discretion of the company. No need to bring the Teamsters into Toy Soldier Painting !!! {sm2} {sm3}

The workers would be at minimum a master in their trade: Machinists, Mold maker/Designers, 3D artists (sculptors), CAD designers, thus the quip of union workers. People of this ilk would make it a requirement to have benefits. Yes, there are empty warehouses in the US. Depending on the state you are in the costs to run a business vary, especially in the area of taxation. You still require a million to start the business. Buying the building (long-term investment) or renting (short term), buying the machining equipment. Note I am looking at this from a plastic modeling type venture where the molds are metal. Then there is the need to have a working infrastructure for sales& marketing, the R&D section, management, shipping & packaging, raw materials, networked computer systems with CAD modules to design the mold, Historians, and then a transportation fleet for materials. Not to mention the holding facilities for the materials, by products, waste, and finished product storage. In essence, there is a huge startup cost for a medium business set for growth. An hourly wage and salary wages would be normal, hourly for the workers and salary for management. This would not be the sort of job where minimum wage would be advisable. Rates range from the mid to high teens plus benefits for hourly, with up to six figures for management salaries. Remember we must also comply with OSHA and hazard rules and guidelines. Waste disposal and permits would be a pretty penny.

In reality, it would not be beneficial to start a company in the US with many other manufacturors already meeting the supply and demand of the current customer base.

So have we come full circle again to the point where people believe this is just a greedy move by K&C? can't believe anyone who is even modestly informed in world events can look at whats going on out there and not understand this for the most part. Be angry about it? maybe, but to think that K&C pricing is not based on making a modest profit (oooh badman! making a profit, Ooooh!) paying a payroll and overhead, Really??? this is sad, just make your choices and get on with it!

How quickly some items are being retired, the influx in strictly limiteds, and the fact that some items are being released requiring other sets to be truly complete makes me weary of K&C.

When I was actively collecting I had pretty much everything currently F/S in my range I wanted, but when I returned(around 2 years later) there were a slew of items already retired, while many of the items available when I was around are still being sold.

I feel like collectors are being pushed around and I love to hear Andy address my, and many others, concerns. Don't just state an increase in input costs, explain. All of the increases in prices may be legitimate, but clearly many of us do not feel that way, so K&C should come out an make it clear.

Get a warehouse full of illegals, work them 12 to 16 hrs. a day chained to the workbench. After all the most important thing IS cheap toy soldiers right?:confused:

Sad but true. They are working many of the other jobs right under our noses !!!

The workers would be at minimum a master in their trade: Machinists, Mold maker/Designers, 3D artists (sculptors), CAD designers, thus the quip of union workers. People of this ilk would make it a requirement to have benefits. Yes, there are empty warehouses in the US. Depending on the state you are in the costs to run a business vary, especially in the area of taxation. You still require a million to start the business. Buying the building (long-term investment) or renting (short term), buying the machining equipment. Note I am looking at this from a plastic modeling type venture where the molds are metal. Then there is the need to have a working infrastructure for sales& marketing, the R&D section, management, shipping & packaging, raw materials, networked computer systems with CAD modules to design the mold, Historians, and then a transportation fleet for materials. Not to mention the holding facilities for the materials, by products, waste, and finished product storage. In essence, there is a huge startup cost for a medium business set for growth. An hourly wage and salary wages would be normal, hourly for the workers and salary for management. This would not be the sort of job where minimum wage would be advisable. Rates range from the mid to high teens plus benefits for hourly, with up to six figures for management salaries. Remember we must also comply with OSHA and hazard rules and guidelines. Waste disposal and permits would be a pretty penny.

In reality, it would not be beneficial to start a company in the US with many other manufacturors already meeting the supply and demand of the current customer base.
Remember Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School"? To answer a question in his Economics class, he had a great description of what trying to start a manufacturing business in the US was like. It is a classic. -- Al

Remember Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School"? To answer a question in his Economics class, he had a great description of what trying to start a manufacturing business in the US was like. It is a classic. -- Al

Sir!,
You are demonstrating your age. {eek3} Unfortunately I know your reference. :tongue: {sm4}

i usually stay away from this topic, but i have to say, the price on this plane definitely took me by surprise. It is becoming "cheaper" to chase the vintage oldies than it is to collect current models. It is starting to get to price points for current models that are just too high for me!

Td

hi tom, i was just thinking that maybe andy realizes that a collector only has so much display space in their residence so he is figuring that he will help eleviate the space problem by selling his product for more money thus limiting the quantity a collector can purchase but still keeping his profits at the same level as if the collector was still purchasing three times the number of items. You see it helps everyone. Also by limiting the production runs and time item is offered he insures or supports the long term value of the piece. What do you think?

Just thinking about the price of the new Hawker Typhoon £362.00 witch includes great paint job & rockets then you see that Corgi are making a 1/32 scale diecast twin engine fighter bomber for £125.00 make you think {eek3}^&confuse

For me collecting is gradually coming to an end. At these prices and the level of my pension I can not afford to carry on collecting .
example : The luftwaffe VW is $ 139 converted into € it is €140 retail price through my local distributor ????? (1$=€ 0,70 or €1=$ 1,43) I know there is VAT and transport costs involved but these prices are out of my reach.I will use what I have in my next dios but new and extra purchases are out of the question at the moment.I will have to look for cheaper solutions if I want to continue my hobby.I might pick up what I did before I started collecting TS, namely buy unpainted figurines (1/32) and paint them myself .
guy:(

A clear message has been sent.....most guys will have to seek alternatives....Fewer collectors....fewer sales. Something has to give....Most of us have financial responsibilities that do not allow us to indulge in irresponsible spending.....How deep this level runs for most of us as a group will be measured in sales.

A clear message has been sent.....most guys will have to seek alternatives....Fewer collectors....fewer sales. Something has to give....Most of us have financial responsibilities that do not allow us to indulge in irresponsible spending.....How deep this level runs for most of us as a group will be measured in sales.

I'll buy 2 just to help the war effort!:eek:

Oh dear. The threat is manifested in a general admonishment by the Union of Concerned Collectors :rolleyes2:

A few points:
- Anyone who can predict the future, ie., number of TS sales and collectors, is wasting his talents. Predicting the future for stocks or sports outcomes would be much more lucrative.
- Everyone has finanical responsibilities - the wealthiest even more so
- There is NO ONE for whom it is advisable to engage in "irresponsible spending"
- Alternatives to TS, that are not "financially irresponsible" would be....?
- One man's irresponsible spending is another's hobby
- Only real money buys whiskey -- everything else is just *^#@*#

Oh dear. The threat is manifested in a general admonishment by the Union of Concerned Collectors :rolleyes2:

A few points:
- Anyone who can predict the future, ie., number of TS sales and collectors, is wasting his talents. Predicting the future for stocks or sports outcomes would be much more lucrative.
- Everyone has finanical responsibilities - the wealthiest even more so
- There is NO ONE for whom it is advisable to engage in "irresponsible spending"
- Alternatives to TS, that are not "financially irresponsible" would be....?
- One man's irresponsible spending is another's hobby
- Only real money buys whiskey -- everything else is just *^#@*#

Amen!

Re: Reality check ! Hurricane V Typhoon

Hurricane $159 or £147 released in Oct 2009
Typhoon $369 or £362.95 in July 2011

USA 43% rise in 20 months
US 40% rise in 20 months

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa whats going on with the pound last time I was across the pond it was $2.40 for a quid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back