Retired ,Semi Retired & Historical Russian Studios Information (2 Viewers)

tdubel

Major
If any other collectors are like me, I enjoy not only modern made Russian figures (the quality gets better every day literally), but I do enjoy finding and collecting some historic ones as well as selling/trading them. Here is some information that may be helpful along with some opinions on quality (I will eventually add photos for examples here) I have also listed some of the Historic Studios that are still producing

Bijato - They made colorful figures with more terrain type bases - figures range from $50 to $85 (Singles) and in my opinion, they are really nice pieces especially when trying to create scenes. They also made some iconic larger pieces like Brian Boru, Boudicca Chariot and some others.

Argo - Great vintage studio, they made a lot of economic figures ($50 max) that really are nice in quality when viewed. They also made some very high end single figures and Joe G. here on the forum can add some context. My best Argo piece is a 90mm Japanese Samurai in battle stance. Just incredible quality, I was not the original owner, but obtained via a collection.

Amber - Still technically producing today, they have also inherited some sculpts from now defunct studios. I believe they produce some very nice pieces at fair prices. Some pieces are close to Arsenyev, others are lower quality, but IMO they are all at the collector quality or above (souvenir is the lowest). Various wide range of subjects, typically ancient eras.

Granada/Grudsky - one of the largest Aeroart contract studios in the beginning. Made many many magnificent pieces and figures. Highly collectible today and a wide variety out there at reasonable prices for the quality.

H.M. - Actually these are all Arsenyev studio figures that were made for an American dealer who started the company. Wide range of subjects and arguable quality on a few. That said, probably one of the most reasonable priced on the secondary market today - Singles $50-$85 and Mtd $100-$150. These are IMO high quality figures from a great studio that can be found for a reasonable price.

Zernov - Long retired, his own label, he also did a lot of work for a lot of studios. Reasonable priced figures that are painted in good quality and a variety of subjects. $50- $150 (singles and mounted).

Rochachev/West - high quality figures, variety of subjects. Can be had at a bargain on the secondary market for the quality you are getting. First class IMO, best piece - Western Stagecoaches in a variety of paints.

Lead Army - Company went through a few iterations, the original Lead Army were standalone figures with an "Arsenyev" type base. Eventually they became mainly St. Georges Cross sculpts painted. IMO, all good quality and found today for reasonable pricing - $50-$85 single figures. There is/was a current operation that is still selling Painted ST. Georges Sculpts.

Nevskaya (Tatyana Gepchenko) - simply put the best. Highest quality figures made IMO and the most expensive. Get what you pay for here. She has also sculpted for Arsenyev as well as Aeroart (St. Petersburg) on contract. She is the Master.

Sineus Studios - another Aeroart contractor as well as standalone studio. Has produced again IMO some of the finest pieces to come out of Russia including the Catherine the Great carriage! High dollar - single figures $175 - $400 and mounted $500 and up.

Arsenyev - Master studio. Actually probably arguably "the Studio" in Russia. Contract work for Aeroart also, many fine pieces, too numerous to mention.

Aeroart - Thor Johnson USA, also known as St. Petersburg Studios. IMO, Thor has done more for Russian figure distribution, originality and popularity than anyone else. If not for him, probably none of us would be collectors. He put Russian Miniatures on the collector map so to speak. While current world events are making it harder for newer figures, he is still producing new figures and paints, etc. I cannot say enough good things about Aeroart.

I have collected toy soldiers for 46 years. I have and still own everything from Britains Deetail to Nevskaya masterpieces. They all are beautiful. I don't do too much comparison between items, to me each item and purchase stands alone. That said, I encourage Russian collectors to branch out to some of the vintage pieces, they are charming in their own way and to me it is neat to see the evolution over time. I never stop being amazed at what is out there. I also am not saying this b/c I trade in some of them, even I can't keep everything, but it is a fascinating hunt to find new items. There has really been some outstanding pieces produced over time.

If anybody ever sees a piece, they can't id, etc., contact me, if I can help, I certainly will.

...Lead Army - Company went through a few iterations, the original Lead Army were standalone figures with an "Arsenyev" type base. Eventually they became mainly St. Georges Cross sculpts painted. IMO, all good quality and found today for reasonable pricing - $50-$85 single figures. There is/was a current operation that is still selling Painted ST. Georges Sculpts...
Sergey also sold very nice figures in gloss finish; those are what brought him to my attention at our show. In many cases, they were castings that were also available in matte connoisseur finish. Nicely sculpted and crisply cast. He was a very nice fella to deal with, too.

Prost!
Brad

Hello, I am looking for the name of a maker whose mark looks to be a small round Phoenix stamped into the underside of figures. Photos attached.

Thank you,
Genevieve

Attachments

• IMG_20240831_003855.jpg
    IMG_20240831_003855.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240831_003935.jpg
    IMG_20240831_003935.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back