ROAN's Lead Britains Ltd. & Other Figures (5 Viewers)

Hello ROAN,
Please don't forget the following vintage "brick and mortar stores" also carrying W. Britains Ltd for decades;
Arnold’s Toy Store, Cincinnati, OH (Got my 1st Britains there in 1948, No.1201 Royal Artillery Gun and still have it)
Military Miniatures, Brooklyn, NY
Halle Brothers Department Store in Cleveland, Ohio
Hess Brothers Department Store in Allentown, PA
Feed & Fuel Store across State St. from then Carson Pirie Scott, Chicago, IL
Bill Connolly's in Burlington Arcade, Pasadena, CA
Bob Fisher's Old Toy Soldier Home, Vista, CA

Am certain there are other significant stores.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

Last edited:
Hello ROAN,
Please don't forget the following vintage "brick and mortar stores" also carrying W. Britains Ltd for decades;
Arnold’s Toy Store, Cincinnati, OH (Got my 1st Britains there in 1948, No.1201 Royal Artillery Gun and still have it)
Military Miniatures, Brooklyn, NY
Halle Brothers Department Store in Cleveland, Ohio
Hess Brothers Department Store in Allentown, PA
Feed & Fuel Store across State St. from then Carson Pirie Scott, Chicago, IL
Bill Connolly's in Burlington Arcade, Pasadena, CA
Bob Fisher's Old Toy Soldier Home, Vista, CA

Am certain there are other significant stores.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

Hi Jim,

What I'm doing in the above posts is finding photos of the department
stores that match the price tags on my boxes(and only those from my collection)-
all done in a spirit of whimsy with a dash of nostalgia.

It would be great if you and others would post price tags along with pics of the stores your sets came from.

(Bought one of my first Britains sets(#225 KAR)as an adult collector from Bill Connolly's Burlington Arcade and
later bought a number of sets from Bob Fisher).

As a child my parents purchased Britains sets(mostly ACW and French)for me from stores around Baltimore when
we were stationed at Fort Holabird and later from Army PXs in Germany. I bought my first
two Britains sets on my own as a kid on a trip to London in 1961-Knights of Agincourt #s 1661-2.

...Hess Brothers Department Store in Allentown, PA...

Sadly, Hess' is now defunct; the business changed hands several times from the late 60s up to the mid-90s, when its successors finally closed. The old store in downtown Allentown was eventually razed, and the property is part of the space occupied by the PPL Center, a sports and events arena. But in its day, Hess' aspired to the level of quality of the stores in New York or Philly. A level of style and class long gone today. But I'm just old enough to remember seeing Britains toy soldiers at Hess' at Christmas, when I was 3.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back