Seaman Ainsley's demise (1 Viewer)

chalklands

Sergeant First Class
I received this set today. The bases of the Ainsley figure and the zulu he is stabbing with his sword don't join together, although the base of the zulu figure is 'cut out' as if it is meant to join to the base of the Ainsley figure. There is a gap of approx 4mm. They would join together if I nipped the end of the sword off, which I'm not prepared to do. This should have been made as one joined set.

Also the position of the left arm on the Ainsley figure looks very unnatural.

While I'm on my high horse, what's with the big rock on the base of the Ainsley figure? It just looks wrong!

In my opinion....SHODDY especially for £80!

Pete

There are a few things going on with this set , maybe I should go through some of the thought processes to show that it wasn't simply thrown together ?

Ainsley was backed against a wagon when he met his demise ...stabbed by a Zulu in the back from under the wagon while he was fending off Zulus to his front .

The figure was designed with a shortened cutlass ( there was no gap between the bases ) but I guess as many people like to use figures for other scenarios and be creative with their settings , the Cutlass was made full length in production to allow for this , this is also why the two main figures are not on one single base but separate , it's to allow you to choose how you use the set .....it should be simple enough to cut the tip of the cutlass to close the gap .
If you simply want to save it , or are thinking of resale value being harmed by cutting the tip off the cutlass , then a 4 mm gap in the bases surely isn't the end of the world if the set is being used in a diorama or setting with other groundwork ?
However , I wouldn't dream of telling anyone what to do, or how to use the figures they buy, so it's completely up to you of course .

The Rock ...there are rocks around the battlefield and if used by a Wagon it simply becomes a relatively small piece of groundwork ,or can be used as a natural "chock" under a wheel of the wagon , if not used by the wagon it can by said to be part of the start of the mass of rocks at the foot of the hill itself ......where the supposed last survivor died on the hillside in a shallow cave in the rocks of the hill . Again it's to allow other versatile uses of the figures .

The arm .....this was designed to allow the figure to be used with more Zulus than the one in the set ...it's not odd, but simply posed to look like could also be under attack from another angle as well .

In short, I / we tried to give you options for the use of these figures while at the same time telling a specific story .

At that price , some versatility in use of the figures isn't a bad thing surely ?

Last edited:
No problem fitting the two figures bases together, just twist Ainsley figure slightly so his sword is appearing to slash across the Zulu rather than try to insert the sword in the hole which pushes apart the 2 figures just slightly. Can live with the rock. Good set. Robin.

Trying to show the figures fit ok at their bases. Robin.

Attachments

• P3150001.jpg
    P3150001.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 241
I really like this set. I like the fact that this set, like the 'Stuck' set, allows figures to be displayed separately if I want rather than both figures being on a single base.

I received this set today. The bases of the Ainsley figure and the zulu he is stabbing with his sword don't join together, although the base of the zulu figure is 'cut out' as if it is meant to join to the base of the Ainsley figure. There is a gap of approx 4mm. They would join together if I nipped the end of the sword off, which I'm not prepared to do. This should have been made as one joined set.

Also the position of the left arm on the Ainsley figure looks very unnatural.

While I'm on my high horse, what's with the big rock on the base of the Ainsley figure? It just looks wrong!

In my opinion....SHODDY especially for £80!

Pete
I think this is the trade off with allowing this pieces to mix and match with others. I hated some of the modelzone pieces as they share the same base. I think the sculpting is quite good in this series with a couple of exceptions including one modelzone exclusive where the figures are clearly undersized.

Rare it is when a sculptor, let alone someone as well regarded like Alan Ball, gives as detailed an explanation as given above.

Brad

Trying to show the figures fit ok at their bases. Robin.

Hi Robin would there be any chance of posting a pic of figure from the other side as I unfortunately never seen one in the flesh and can not find any images on the internet showing the opposite side.

Many Thanks Paul

I think the Seaman Ainsley set is a great addition to the Zulu War range. I didn't even notice the gap. Not a big deal to me. It looks like Alan Ball laid the historical aspect out of the set well. Seaman Ainsley did meet his end with his back to a wagon wheel slashing away. I plan on using the figure in an Abu Klea display so I'm glad the figures weren't attached to the same base.
As for the left hand (off hand) I think it looks like a natural pose as one would have thrusting a sword. It would be similar to a quarterback following through with a hard throw or a boxer throwing a hard right. The off hand would be tensed and closer to the body.
My only critique would be that I prefer the nice shiny blades W Britain has used in the past.^&grin

Great work Mr. Ball keep em comin.

Hi Robin would there be any chance of posting a pic of figure from the other side as I unfortunately never seen one in the flesh and can not find any images on the internet showing the opposite side.

Many Thanks Paul

Hope these assist Paul, Robin.

Attachments

• P3160001.jpg
    P3160001.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 172
  • P3160002.jpg
    P3160002.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 169
  • P3160003.jpg
    P3160003.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 167
  • P3160004.jpg
    P3160004.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 171
  • P3160005.jpg
    P3160005.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 168
When you pose him by himself like that, you can almost imagine him doing a "bring it on" gesture with his left hand. :)

I have just received Colonel Pulleine ,Camel Corps throw point and Seaman Aynsley demise sets, impressed with all three , for you guys who want the bases to join together without the small gap and dont want to clip the end of the cutlass , would it be possible to drill the hole in the zulu a little deeper with a suitable small drill bit,could anyone advise ?

Kev

Last edited:
Sounds like it would be doable as the hole already there. I doubt that it would damage the paint finish either. Good suggestion !!

Hi,
The picture of the set on the WBritain web site clearly shows the set with the sword/cutlass embedded in the chest of the zulu. Yes. it can be displayed to the side of the 'hole', but if that is how the set is meant to be displayed why the hole? The zulu warrior has a great chunk cut from the base, so it is meant (according to the picture) to be butted up to the Ainsley figure, anyhow it looks stupid if not (IMO). This picture has been displayed on the WB website for months. If the spec has changed, why not display an up to date picture? Maybe it's a minor detail, but it isn't as far as I'm concerned.

However, every one to their own I suppose. I've certainly learnt my lesson for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back