Shopping list for Resin casting ? (1 Viewer)

jazzej

Private 2
I did resin casting a long time ago and am ready to start again. I know I'll be producing 50+ figs so I have a few shopping questions since I'll need to make my own molds this time.

For the silicone mold, I can use a metal fig? wax ( like a candle)?

To get air bubbles out, do I need a heat gun? Will a hair dryer work instead?

Do folks recommend Smooth cast 300 ? should i buy a 1 gallon or larger?

What kind of mask should I use for protection?

What else do I need?

What do folks use to cast the silicone mold?

Do i really need a mold spray or can i use baby powder?

Thanks for any advice! - James

Hello James, I try to answer in your text. I am doing resin casting for a while and you may also look at the casting section where you can find various threads on HOW TO

I did resin casting a long time ago and am ready to start again. I know I'll be producing 50+ figs so I have a few shopping questions since I'll need to make my own molds this time.

It is allways best to start on a small, modest scale when you order your materials. It is all about testing and gaining experience that way. Do you need 50 copies of a figure or do you plan to build 50 moulds?

For the silicone mold, I can use a metal fig? wax ( like a candle)?

You can mold almost any material in silicone rubber, certainly masters made of metal or wax.

This is the major question to answer. To avoid dissapointment you should be aware from the start that you will need some tools/equipment to master that task.
People in te US seem to prefer pressure casting resin. You need a compressor, Pressure pot an letter scales for finding the right portion of resin or rubber to use.
Vaccum casting is also an alternative but the short cureing circles of fast cast resin make this process hard to control.

Do folks recommend Smooth cast 300 ? should i buy a 1 gallon or larger?

You may use Smooth cast 300, it is an excellent product

What kind of mask should I use for protection?

Depending on the chemicals you are going to use. Your favourite COVID mask should do as long as you stay away from polyester resin. That stuff smells horrible and can make you sick. More of concern is a proper eye protection. Silicone rubber is hell if it gets into your eyes.

What else do I need?

As stated above: compressor, pressure vessel and letter scales. If you buy such tools with a decent quality tahn it is about 900,- $ for a silent compressor and up to 2.000,- $ for a high quality dental pressure pot known as compactor plus 15$ for the scales.
People in the US like to use the rather cheap Habourfreight pressure pot - which I do not like for varios reasons. But make up your own mind and check on YOUTUBE "Resin casting Pressure Pot".

What do folks use to cast the silicone mold?

Smooth on resins are fine and widely available in the US.

Do i really need a mold spray or can i use baby powder?

If you buy a high quality rubber you do not need a release spray but it will prolong the life of the mold. Stay away from baby powder, it is likey to collect humidity and polyurethane resins hate water and humidity, you will catch even more bubbles in your casting.

Do to moving house I had to reorganise my casting studio completly. I did not have the chance to test it yet, but it is all new tools bought at a fair price.
If interested I will add it to my allready excisting casting Thread.

Thanks for any advice! - James

You may find this useful:

Casting

Currently produced 1/32 Sets of Toy Soldiers by Arffix Thread
plus
Sculpting, casting and a bid of magic

Take care
regards
Wolfgang

Last edited:

I've made a number of silicone molds over the years and, while certainly not a master, have learned a few tricks. When asking about releasing bubbles, were you writing about the mold or the castings themselves? If the former, I can pass on a few hints:

Always pour the silicone in the corner pf the mold. It is during the pouring process that most of the bubbles form. I've found that tapping on the mold box with my finger brings a lot of bubbles to the surface. After pouring you can put it on any vibrating surface to further release bubbles . . . a running clothes dryer for example. I've also heard of using power sanders, but it seems risky. As to a sex toy . . . we won't go there, but theoretically it should work great. (Hey honey, would you get me a vibrator for Christmas so I can make some molds? Sure!) Haven't tries a heat gun or hair dryer, so I can't comment on those.

Hope this gives you some ideas . . . and good luck!

Bosun Al

Thanks to Bosun Al and Wolfgang! Your advice is sage my friends. I look forward to putting your advice to good use. I'm trying to bulk up my 54mm Crusader armies with archers. This is the dream...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back