Should you wash your plastic figures? (1 Viewer)

We game with our figures, so they take a few knocks. We store then fairly carefully when carrying them around the country to games. This is what we recommend to people who ask 'How do you get the paint to stay on plastic figures?' at shows, the 2nd most popular question after - where do you get the figures?

Painting and Protecting Plastic Figures

For absolute certainty -
1. Clean off flash & mold lines in your normal way [but always use a new blade for each batch of figures - change blades part way through if there are more than around 15 figures to do. Keep old blades for tougher jobs. mark knife handles so you know which is the new sharp blade!].
2. Wash in soapy water [washing up liquid] and rinse under running water.
3. Soak over night in vinegar [ordinary domestic table vinegar - eg Sarsons] – the mild acid really gets rid of any greasy mold release agents etc.
4. Wash again in soapy water and/or use a kitchen spray cleaner [the new orange ones are really good and smell nice!], rinse and dry on paper towels.
5. Spray with Plastic Primer sold for spraying car bumpers before painting. Tetrosyl is a brand name in the UK, from car accessory shops, Holts make their own version. This is crucial – it really helps the primer stick.
6. Prime with your favourite primer [Games Workshop Skull White spray or Chaos Black spray matt are excellent, Warlord Games colours are good too]. Leave over night to dry thoroughly.
7. Paint with your favourite paints [a mixture of brands can be used, but acrylic water based are best – no nasty niffs from paint or cleaner].
8. THIS IS ESSENTIAL - Once the paint is thoroughly dry, ie overnight, immerse in slightly thinned PVA white adhesive [buy a large can from Screwfix at a fraction of the cost of small pots from craft shops] - don't panic as the glue covers your figures with gunk - it will shrink and make a tight, gloss, tough skin which will protect them. Polyurethane varnish can be used but will mean white spirit cleaner etc unless a water based polyurethene is use. Games Workshop do both matt and gloss spray varnish too.
9. If you don't want a gloss finish, matt with artists acrylic matt varnish [Windsor & Newton is very, very matt].

Just stages 5] to 8] will work too, but come with no guarantee!

As to the benefits of the full treatment, I dropped a chair on some Italeri Austrians and whilst one figure snapped at the ankles, no paint came off any of them. But I believe that was because of Step 8 - the PVA provides a protective wrap that's very tough.

Great tips Mike, I too use PVA to seal my figures but I add caution on that. If the figures get wet the glue will wash off. I had a leak from an upstairs apartment which came down through the ceiling and through my built in cabinet. Needless to say I ended up with a sticky mess. It was soon rectified after the figures dried though with another coat of PVA.

There is water-resistant pva glue out there that might be worth a try. I use it to flock bases because of the swelling that occurs when applying washes over the water soluble type of glue.

I never game with my figures and just wash them, prime them and paint them. Maybe use a matte or gloss varnish. But I must handle them carefully as not to bend anything (bending is chipping). And I am the only one who handles them.

Well,

I must confess to never having gone down the PVA sealant route, but having painted loads of fplastics up for my 8 year old, only to see them flaking within hours - no frustration there :rolleyes:, I thought I'd give it a try, and have to say,
RESULT!

So far, he is thrown them around, stood on them, chucked 'em in his toy soldier box and all the other sort of things you might expect an eight year old to do, and the paint is still in one piece! The semi gloss look that the PVA leaves doesn't look too bad either.

Thanks for the tips Mike!

Cheers
Simon

The only negative chemical reaction I know about so far is using enamel paint on PVC. They don't mix well & the surface will become sticky and often stay that way. PVC is a noticable chemical leaker, so you can get oily residue back from inside the figure basically.

Gents,

My 2 cents here. I have run into this problem, especially with old CTS horses turning shiny and sticky after painting. (The old ones were made with PVC.) I have fixed the problem by literally painting Elmer's white (PVA) glue onto the painted figures. It creates a matte, hard shell that eliminates the shine. Just be sure to apply the glue with a clean, new brush and with clean water. If either is dirty, flecks of paint pigment will get suspended in the glue and appear on your finished figures.

Ken
All the King's Men Toy Soldiers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back