Size of Ex Force ancients? (3 Viewers)

larso

Sergeant Major
I've been following the thread about the large WW2 figures and I recall the noise about the small Civil War ones - what scale do the ancients come in at? I'm particuarly keen they match the Conte Spartans.

I have both the Conte and EF Greeks. The EF are a tad smaller, but not much and work well with Conte's. I don't have any problem with using both together.
Hope that helps.
BDYH

Thanks very much for that! I'm getting some mounted sets and a few of the foot ones. It sounds like they'll blend well.

I've been following the thread about the large WW2 figures and I recall the noise about the small Civil War ones - what scale do the ancients come in at? I'm particuarly keen they match the Conte Spartans.
I as well have both Conte, and EX Force ancients, I find they fit very well together

I as well have both Conte, and EX Force ancients, I find they fit very well together

I've been slowly gathering Ex Force Persians to battle my Conte Greek, they are just a tad smaller than the Conte Giants, but not too noticeable - after all, Conte's guys WERE Spartans. My only quibble is I wish the poses were a bit more animated, but they are superbly sculpted and look well in formation - which works for the Persian masses.

Hi

I found the ACW EF figures ok as they fit in with hat, Airfix, Accurate, Imex, Marx , Britains Deetail & Eyes Right ok and in scale. Having compatability with other makers allows more variety to a diorama or wargame. In fact I need to buy some more of the EF infantry and cavalry sets.

Thanks
Dave

I have heard of brittleness issues with the Conte Spartans. Anyone care to share? Is there a better color choice to avoid this issue? I initially wanted the red or silver ones. Anyone have a set of them for sale?

I have heard of brittleness issues with the Conte Spartans. Anyone care to share? Is there a better color choice to avoid this issue? I initially wanted the red or silver ones. Anyone have a set of them for sale?

I bought complete sets in all three colors (I was originally going to hold back and only get one color but they were all so beautiful - even the red was better looking in person than in the pix so...). Now some have said the red holds up better than the metallic colors - I've had breakage and brittleness in all three colors, and even worse is color fading in the red and gold; silver somewhat better but the gray my figures are turning to isn't as obvious as the faded pale red or brownish yellow the red and gold become. The plastic used by Conte holds glue well, but once you glue the pieces together you defeat the purpose of the "poseable" figures, don't you?

I don't know which situation would have been the most disappointing, the fact that I bought all those Greeks and Conte never came out with their opponents, or had he come out with the Persians and I would have had another huge collection of figures breaking and disintegrating on me...

I don't know which situation would have been the most disappointing, the fact that I bought all those Greeks and Conte never came out with their opponents, or had he come out with the Persians and I would have had another huge collection of figures breaking and disintegrating on me...

I really, really wanted to buy the Conte Spartans but as my wife and I had a new baby right at the time they came out, toy soldiers were not a financial priority. Reading this makes me very happy I did not spring for them.

I wonder why Conte ever abandoned the soft "Canadian" plastic of the early sets? I love that stuff. I think those figures are going to be excavated intact by archaeologists in 2000 years. Are the D-Day Americans having the same decay problem?

I have Airfix and Britains and Timpo Swoppets and Marx and Hoefler and even Hong Kong knockoffs that I bought as a small boy in the early '70s that are still as supple as the day I got them, and these expensive Conte figures are falling apart after only about a decade. Some guys are selling Marx figures that were buried in a landfill for 50 years and even they are just fine.

Was that a case of poor materials research on Conte's part or just plain old not giving a darn?

I bought complete sets in all three colors (I was originally going to hold back and only get one color but they were all so beautiful - even the red was better looking in person than in the pix so...). Now some have said the red holds up better than the metallic colors - I've had breakage and brittleness in all three colors, and even worse is color fading in the red and gold; silver somewhat better but the gray my figures are turning to isn't as obvious as the faded pale red or brownish yellow the red and gold become. The plastic used by Conte holds glue well, but once you glue the pieces together you defeat the purpose of the "poseable" figures, don't you?

I have all the Spartans in silver--bought them about 5 or 6 years ago and they were still in the packages. I have taken them out, set them up, killed some Persians, AND put them back in their packages. I have not had any problem with them fading at all. Brittle? They were made that way--a stiff plastic. I have noticed no increasing brittleness, either. I like them just fine.

I might have a set for sale, if you are interested. I would have to look to see what I have unopened.

I really, really wanted to buy the Conte Spartans but as my wife and I had a new baby right at the time they came out, toy soldiers were not a financial priority. Reading this makes me very happy I did not spring for them.

I wonder why Conte ever abandoned the soft "Canadian" plastic of the early sets? I love that stuff. I think those figures are going to be excavated intact by archaeologists in 2000 years. Are the D-Day Americans having the same decay problem?

I have Airfix and Britains and Timpo Swoppets and Marx and Hoefler and even Hong Kong knockoffs that I bought as a small boy in the early '70s that are still as supple as the day I got them, and these expensive Conte figures are falling apart after only about a decade. Some guys are selling Marx figures that were buried in a landfill for 50 years and even they are just fine.

Was that a case of poor materials research on Conte's part or just plain old not giving a darn?

I'll say it again--I have noticed absolutely no decay problems with Conte stuff and I have ALL their figures. I am surprised that you like that rubbery material. I hate that stuff. Too much distortion and boil-and-freeze does not keep them in the desired, correct position. Of course, the material itself is easy to cut for conversion, but since the figures are sculpted in a way that conversions are either impractical or undesirable.

My soft spot for the soft rubbery early Conte figures is due to two factors. One, I love how they don't break even if I keep them in a shoebox for months at a time. I actually haven't had too many problems with deformities. After I moved to another city, my Conte guys were all piled in a shoebox in the garage for about three years and they all still look OK. On the other hand, for example,many of my original Airfix GIs have lost weapon tips, etc over the years.

Second reason is that I "found" a 70mm Auburn Rubber Davy Crockett type pioneer from way before my time in the playroom at a hospital I was at for a few days when I was about 6 and he became one of my absolute favorite figures ever. Later I bought some Auburn GIs for .50 apiece from really old warehouse stock the manager dug out at my favorite hobby shop and still later I bought more frontiersmen and Indians on eBay. The Conte figures are much smaller and don't work with the Auburn GIs, of course, but they still have the same feel as the Auburn figures that I associate in some way with the happiness I got from my old Davy Crockett. (I still have him tucked away in the back of my sock drawer. He's even been to the real Alamo in recent years.)

Thank you. Yes I would be interested in a set. Are they the silver? beatlesmarxeddie@yahoo.com.

thank you

Eddie

Also it would appear that a couple of the EF Germans could work, but the Americans seem huge side by side. If we wash them in hot water and put them in the dryer would they shrink?

Can anyone post pictures of EF Greeks and Conte Spartans, as well as TSSD Romans and Barbarians?

Thank you. Yes I would be interested in a set. Are they the silver? beatlesmarxeddie@yahoo.com.

thank you

Eddie

Also it would appear that a couple of the EF Germans could work, but the Americans seem huge side by side. If we wash them in hot water and put them in the dryer would they shrink?

Can anyone post pictures of EF Greeks and Conte Spartans, as well as TSSD Romans and Barbarians?
I didn't take any shots of TSSD Romans, Barbarians. The Romans are MONSTERS! 65+mm (?) that might be harsh, but they are the tallest, fit in nowhere. They openly ridicule Marx Romans, call them, "Little girlie men, " They would be nearly a head taller than. The Barbarians on the other hand, are tall, but as far as i am concerned mix in fine with Conte, even Marx. While we are at it, EF Knights are a great 60mm-ish fit with every 60mm knight.2015-07-28 22.40.25 (Custom).jpg2015-07-28 22.41.57 (Custom).jpg2015-07-28 22.43.45 (Custom).jpg2015-07-28 22.47.51 (Custom).jpg

THANK YOU for the quick response and photo post! I appreciate it. I believe they work well from the photos.

Now some have said the red holds up better than the metallic colors - I've had breakage and brittleness in all three colors, and even worse is color fading in the red and gold; silver somewhat better but the gray my figures are turning to isn't as obvious as the faded pale red or brownish yellow the red and gold become. The plastic used by Conte holds glue well, but once you glue the pieces together you defeat the purpose of the "poseable" figures, don't you?

I recently got a lot of soldiers with about 10 Conte Spartans in bronze. I am shocked at the change in color. The bronze has turned into various colors from a dark brown to a dull brown/tan, and even a hint of green! Worse still is that each figure is changing at different rates to different colors; but even worse is that parts of each figure are changing to different colors! So, a shield in bronze, head in another color, torso in another, and legs in another! Ghastly, absolutely ghastly.

I have had absolutely no problem, however, with my silver ones. They have all remained a nice silver. But I have kept them in their packages in a box.

I recently got a new display cabinet and finally was able to set up an Ancient Greek/Persian battle using my Conte Spartans and the new Exped Force ancients. The 'battlefield' is about 60 x 60 cm and I've got about 75 figures in there. The Conte figures are the center of the action. Spartans in the middle, their Teagan allies (silver) to their left. Exped support troops (Athenians in white) take up flank security with missile and cavalry. They're opposed by an assortment of the Persians. At their center is a Greek force (probably those Thebans!) who've gone over to the dark side....000_2857.jpg

000_2859.jpg

000_2858.jpg

They're opposed by an assortment of the Persians. At their center is a Greek force (probably those Thebans!) who've gone over to the dark side...

Do I see a lambda on the shield of that bronze guy fighting with the Persians?!! Say it ain't so, Joe!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back