Skirmishers vs. Close Order Formations and Figures (1 Viewer)

FirstLegion

Sergeant Major
I started a new thread with this as it really doesn't fit in the British Guards Pre-Order thread which is getting unreadable because of too many topics and too many posts...

The more I read about this period, the more I find that my expectation of many moments of combat apart from formation is in fact quite well established. For example, both "With Musket, Cannon and Sword" and "The Battle" (thanks for the recommendation Matt) note the very great prevalence and important employment of skirmishers or light companies that supported and were in turn supported by the formations. In fact, I discovered in the Battle that at Waterloo, there was much fighting largely between skirmishers, hand to hand and by rifles in the orchards and gardens of the farms and in and around the buildings. We have talked about the 95th, which I certainly do hope we'll see but what else might we expect to represent this very important and interesting side of this and other battles?

You are correct of course, that skirmishers represented a major element of Napoleonic warfare. The French adopted tactics focused on the heavy use of skirmishers before the other continental powers, but after having been defeated again and again the other powers also began using them in greater numbers. If you notice with our release of the French Line Infantry, we released the 61st Line Advancing in close order with fusiliers, grenadiers, and voltigeurs. However, to cover the skirmishing that you mention, we released just the voltigeurs of the 85th Line in firing poses. This type of release was designed purposes to allow displays showing a full battalion in close order formation as well as deployed skirmishers out in Front. The Westphalian Jaegers and Wurttemberg Jaegers, both light infantry, were also designed to be used as skirmishers in the same display.

For Waterloo in specific, you are correct that massed skirmishers were engaged in and around the woods south of hougoumont, the orchard, walled garden etc... This is primarily due to the fact that close order formations simply can't operate in such terrain (which is also usually why you seldom see entire divisions deployed in such terrain - Waterloo was certainly an exception and you can see how that attack worked out). Jerome's Division which lead the assault on the area you speak of also consisted of an inordinate number of light regiments. Typically, a division would have 3 line and 1 light regiment. Jerome's was nearly all light if I remember correctly (going off of the top of my head here). So his men were trained to operate effectively in large open skirmish order. Line battalions only have a single company of skirmishers while light battalions often deploy up to 5 companies as skirmishers, so in the woods and broken ground around waterloo you see a massed skirmish battle between the french and allied light infantry units.

How will First Legion represent the fact of skirmishers playing a large role in Napoleonic Wars? Well, as per our current French Line infantry, we already do to some extent. Of course, the most logical answer is that we haven't released any French Legere regiments yet and those are certainly something we will cover and when we do, we'll provide options both for skirmishing and close order supports. As for the Waterloo Allies and other European powers such as Russia, there are already several skirmishing units and figures on our workbench (Russian Jaegers, Brunswick Advanced Guard Jaegers, etc.).

The key to remember in all of this, though, is that while skirmishers typically operated between formed enemy units and were generally used to wear down an opposing line of battle (hence the need to be countered by their own skirmishers), they rarely if ever came into close contact with an enemy force. The exception to this is of course a situation like Waterloo with combat in the woods (or at Borodino in the woods south of the Fleches) where close order units simply couldn't operate and the combatants were all deployed in open skirmish order. Other than this, skirmishers were usually easily driven back upon their supports by cavalry or by a determined infantry advance in close order formation. Thus, for example, the British skirmishers which would have lined the ridges at Waterloo served both as the eyes of the army as well as to pepper the advancing French columns with musket fire until they themselves were driven back into their support units by advancing French Skirmishers and close order formations. Once the French crested the ridge in close order, their skirmishers as well would collapse back on to their close order formations. So in the end, though skirmishers play an important preliminary role in softening up the enemy, the deciding combat is usually determined by close order formations firing at one another until one or the other gives way. So, close order still dominates the battlefield. My point here is that most displays I see typically involve skirmishing forces. While many of them are excellent and of course accurate, our goal is to allow you to recreate both the skirmishing formations as well as their close order supporting formations so that displays can look more the part of a full pitched battle with skirmishers out in front and close order formations coming up behind.

Regards,

Matt
First Legion Ltd

Good information Matt. I am really enjoying the Battle BTW.:D I certainly do appreciate the use of the firing figure voltigeurs of the 85th Line for the Skirmisher role, that is why I have a number of those now. Will there be some comparable British versions for Waterloo? Also, as I see for your Jaegers, will there be French and British figures in the varied moving and other positions that suppliment the firing ones? Of course, we need some hand to hand fighters for those parts of Waterloo as well it seems.

Thanks for starting a new thread, it really fits better that way.

Good information Matt. I am really enjoying the Battle BTW.:D I certainly do appreciate the use of the firing figure voltigeurs of the 85th Line for the Skirmisher role, that is why I have a number of those now. Will there be some comparable British versions for Waterloo? Also, as I see for your Jaegers, will there be French and British figures in the varied moving and other positions that suppliment the firing ones? Of course, we need some hand to hand fighters for those parts of Waterloo as well it seems.

Thanks for starting a new thread, it really fits better that way.

Yeah, "The Battle" is simply a fantastic read. I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone interested in Waterloo. It really does read like a Novel. All this talk about it is making me want to read it again!

As for British Figures skirmishing for Waterloo, well course some of the current British Guards figures could be used in that role. Standing firing figures (2), standing loading figures (2), plus a few of the kneeling figures are even appropriate as is the officer. Coupled with your suggestion of doing a kneeling loading figure and a kneeling firing figure, you could easily setup some good skirmish displays with the British Guards for fighting around Hougoumont or other similar usage.

Without going too much into specifics, just bear in mind one thing. We've been making figures for just north of a year now. We are and will remain first and foremost a Napoleonics toy soldier company and as such, over time you'll get everything you could ever imagine (and some things even you won't think of!). We just need the time to get there. Let's imagine this conversation 5 years from now. By then we'll have released several more releases for French Line infantry releases of various types and in various uniforms, we'll have done firing line units, standing units, charging units, and you'll even have more cavalry at that point than you could EVER want (well, maybe not EVER!). So, the answer to all of these questions/suggestions is of course, yes, you will get all of the poses and variety that you want, but we just need the time to get there. We can only make so many figures at a time and for better or worse, our release plans tend to focus on an entire release all designed for a specific formation or use. So, for example, our British Guards are first and foremost designed to be setup in square or firing line (though of couse can be spread out as skirmishers or fighting in build up areas as well). As such, we didn't release any figures moving or advancing or running with this release as they didn't fit. Because of the level of detail and the amount of variety we provide within each release, we feel it's better to cover these other poses by doing a whole separate unit just in that general pose (or a new release of the same unit in a different pose/formation). Only time will tell if this is a good decision business-wise, but that's how we ourselves like to collect and display our figures, so that's what we've been making. Most other companies tend to release something and provide you with 10 or so poses, but the poses in many cases aren't related to each other. This is both good and bad in that it allows you to setup a good skirmish display, but doesn't provide the variety to make for a diverse and interesting close order display (too many repeats for my taste). With our figures, you can buy just one of each figure and setup a close order display that has a lot of variety and movement to it. If you buy multiples, which many customers do, you can really go crazy and setup some great displays (see Han's display I posted for an example - a very large display, with a lot of movemnt to it, and very few repeat figures).

Regards,

Matt

Thanks for the detailed response Matt. It is interesting to understand your rationale for the different poses and I can certainly appreciate your approach. As a collector, I suffer from the want it all/sooner/now syndrome, especially when I know what you come up with will be so good. I also do understand the relative importance of the formations in major battles. It is just the individualist in me that appreciates more the chaos and drama of the less formal encounters. I am happy to hear we can look forward to both.

BTW, you are quite correct that it is doubtful you will produce more cavalry than I could ever want; perhaps more than I can afford would be more accurate.;):D

I must say that I am enjoying the Battle more and more and many historical battle texts are a bit dry for my taste. Matt is quite correct that this one reads like a novel and is crammed with useful and interesting anecdotal detail. If you like the Napoleonic period, this is certainly one not to miss.
http://www.amazon.com/Battle-New-History-Waterloo/dp/0802714536
I found a great as new one for about $10. It is helping me be much better focused for my next figure "requests". I have a line on another classic for this period that should help as well. Just what you wanted to hear I am sure Matt.:eek:;):D

It is helping me be much better focused for my next figure "requests". I have a line on another classic for this period that should help as well. Just what you wanted to hear I am sure Matt.:eek:;):D

OH GOODNESS!! :eek:

Actually, it does have some great inspiration in it.

Actually, it does have some great inspiration in it.
Does it ever. I have much material now for so many different Waterloo scenes alone. I did not know, never having read much about the battle before, of the many units for both sides involved in laying on the ground, forming squares, fighting in lines and in free formation (and of course squares), firing from behind trees, hedges, walls or whatever was available for cover, advancing in column and even squares, charging and routing and even shooting from prone positions. I also found some more support for the practice of quick firing (setting power and charge by tapping the rifle butt on the ground) by both French skirmishers and British regular veterans. Boy you all have a lot of poses left to cover.:D;) I also didn't know how near to breaking from the constant bombardment the allies were on the last attack. I am up to the Guard (or perhaps I should say quasi Guard;)) assault now but I wish it were longer at this point.

Does it ever. I have much material now for so many different Waterloo scenes alone. I did not know, never having read much about the battle before, of the many units for both sides involved in laying on the ground, forming squares, fighting in lines and in free formation (and of course squares), firing from behind trees, hedges, walls or whatever was available for cover, advancing in column and even squares, charging and routing and even shooting from prone positions. I also found some more support for the practice of quick firing (setting power and charge by tapping the rifle butt on the ground) by both French skirmishers and British regular veterans. Boy you all have a lot of poses left to cover.:D;) I also didn't know how near to breaking from the constant bombardment the allies were on the last attack. I am up to the Guard (or perhaps I should say quasi Guard;)) assault now but I wish it were longer at this point.

Yes, it is great isn't it? :D It's one of the best narratives I've a battle I've ever ready.

When you talked about the last attack of the guards, you just got me thinking. When we release our old guard grenadier figures, a nice display could be made using the British Guards in firing line supported by British 9lb Artillery against waves of march attack Old Guard Grenadiers (though I know it was the middle guard who attacked!) in column formation advancing towards them. French Artillery could be behind on a ridge firing in support and firiing skirmishers from both sides could be out in front...

Just a thought...Ocatavian, if you're out there, what do you think of this for a diorama? "The Last Attack of the Old Guard."

Regards,

Matt

Just a thought...Ocatavian, if you're out there, what do you think of this for a diorama? "The Last Attack of the Old Guard."

Gee Matt, now you've done it!!! My head is about to explode!! Ha!!....thinking....pondering....thinking.....pondering......financial forecast for year ahead....thinkin.....pondering......divorce,etc :eek::D

Yes, it is great isn't it? :D It's one of the best narratives I've a battle I've ever ready.

When you talked about the last attack of the guards, you just got me thinking. When we release our old guard grenadier figures, a nice display could be made using the British Guards in firing line supported by British 9lb Artillery against waves of march attack Old Guard Grenadiers (though I know it was the middle guard who attacked!) in column formation advancing towards them. French Artillery could be behind on a ridge firing in support and firiing skirmishers from both sides could be out in front...

Regards,

Matt
I have now finished this great book and based on the accounts favored we would need 4 rank British Guards facing the Middle Guard (followed by some Old Guard) advancing in squares but firing along their front and side ranks; covered by some 95th and light Infantry (with some running for their ammo wagon); with Brunswicker and Nassau infantry on one flank and the remaining British Dragoons and Hussars nudging the rear ranks of the British Guards; deadly canister fire from 8 British horse cannon and a pivotal bayonet charge by Dutch line and Begian Jageurs. We also need some routing (running) British and German units and plenty of casualties in all ranks from the withering fire fight. All this and smoke, lots and lots of smoke.:cool::D

I have now finished this great book and based on the accounts favored we would need 4 rank British Guards facing the Middle Guard (followed by some Old Guard) advancing in squares but firing along their front and side ranks; covered by some 95th and light Infantry (with some running for their ammo wagon); with Brunswicker and Nassau infantry on one flank and the remaining British Dragoons and Hussars nudging the rear ranks of the British Guards; deadly canister fire from 8 British horse cannon and a pivotal bayonet charge by Dutch line and Begian Jageurs. We also need some routing (running) British and German units and plenty of casualties in all ranks from the withering fire fight. All this and smoke, lots and lots of smoke.:cool::D

Yes, the British were probably deployed in double line of battle (4 rank formation) as it allowed them to squeeze in more units in a shorter battle line. However, as we're toy soldier collectors who don't do things exactly to scale, I would think a two rank formation would suffice for representing it in a diorama!! THere is nothing to stop you from setting up the figures in a 4 rank line, but that just means that if you want a 10 or 12 figure frontage you need that number x 4! Far be it from me to stop you from buying more figures, but I think it would look better with a longer line of say 16 figures frontage, 2 ranks deep and would require less figures. Standard bearers and drummers could be placed in the back giving the impression of more depth.

As for the Brunskwickers and Nassau, well you already know we have those coming from our Workbench. As for the Artillery, I have no doubt that in addition to the 8 horse guns there were several other regular 9lb batteries involved as well, which we have coming as well. British Dragoons or Hussars...well, who knows. ;) After that, we'd need to dutch line, 95th Rifles, and Belgian Jaegers...all of which are a long way off I'd think, however, from what we have out or coming soon, I think there is plenty in the way of the allies to set this up and do it justice.

As for the French, well, we have our old guard grenadiers coming out very soon. We might even have some old guard casualties coming out in the next few months as well that would work well in such a display along with some Old Guard figures in fighting poses. Actually, I would count on that if I were you all!

Finally, some french line infantry supports off of the flanks would probably be appropriate as I believe they renewed attacks across the entire front in support of the assault.

To me, it sounds like this would be a great diorama to put together...

Regards,

Matt

Yes, the British were probably deployed in double line of battle (4 rank formation) as it allowed them to squeeze in more units in a shorter battle line. However, as we're toy soldier collectors who don't do things exactly to scale, I would think a two rank formation would suffice for representing it in a diorama!! THere is nothing to stop you from setting up the figures in a 4 rank line, but that just means that if you want a 10 or 12 figure frontage you need that number x 4! Far be it from me to stop you from buying more figures, but I think it would look better with a longer line of say 16 figures frontage, 2 ranks deep and would require less figures. Standard bearers and drummers could be placed in the back giving the impression of more depth.

As for the Brunskwickers and Nassau, well you already know we have those coming from our Workbench. As for the Artillery, I have no doubt that in addition to the 8 horse guns there were several other regular 9lb batteries involved as well, which we have coming as well. British Dragoons or Hussars...well, who knows. ;) After that, we'd need to dutch line, 95th Rifles, and Belgian Jaegers...all of which are a long way off I'd think, however, from what we have out or coming soon, I think there is plenty in the way of the allies to set this up and do it justice.

As for the French, well, we have our old guard grenadiers coming out very soon. We might even have some old guard casualties coming out in the next few months as well that would work well in such a display along with some Old Guard figures in fighting poses. Actually, I would count on that if I were you all!

Finally, some french line infantry supports off of the flanks would probably be appropriate as I believe they renewed attacks across the entire front in support of the assault.

To me, it sounds like this would be a great diorama to put together...

Regards,

Matt
I totally agree; I just thought I would share some of the education you thoughtfully assisted. Afterall I wouldn't want you to think I disregarded your advice.;):D In that regard, according to the Battle, the 4 line deployment was used because of the concern about the hordes of remaining French cavalry (it was said that no power on earth could have persuaded the British infantry to reform in 2 lines at that point.

All you suggest sounds very good for the short run. I also look forward to the promise of the longer run. About the only depressing note I got from your post was the reaffirmation of the lengthy 95th delay. Ah well, plenty of budget stretching to go around in the meantime.

If someone would produce the 95th Im sure theyd make a killing. Other than the Polish Lancers that seems to be the most requested unit. I look forward to seeing what yall come up with to portray them when yall get around to it. In the mean time, we could always use more WBTS :D!

If someone would produce the 95th Im sure theyd make a killing. Other than the Polish Lancers that seems to be the most requested unit. I look forward to seeing what yall come up with to portray them when yall get around to it. In the mean time, we could always use more WBTS :D!
I would think you are correct, although I do not pretend to know how this market works. I can't imagine it would not do well however given the well recognized history of the unit so richly protrayed in the most popular series of historical fiction of our lifetime. "The French are coming for supper, so let's be getting ready for the bast**ds!";):D

Hi Everybody, I am a native Swabian, living in the heart of Wuerttemberg/Germany. So I am sorry for my swabian english;).
In my opinion, FL does a great job. Skirmshers or close order formations? We need both ! But more important I think, is the fact, that FL does not present (as the fiftysecond producer do) the same figures you can find everywhere. Westphalien and of corse WUERTTEMBERGER:D:D:D, that is refreshing, that brings the colour and the variation on our little battlefields at home.
I will do my very best to make known esp. the Wuerttemberger troops of FL in my home country (hope to hear again from you soon Matt :D) in order to support this way of producing very interesting troops we missed so long.
Best regards from Wuerttemberg/Germany
Marcus

Your Swabian English appears to be better than my Westphalian English. :D

I think each of your respective Swabian English and Westphalian English is also light years ahead of my German. Returning to the skirmisher theme I thought I would pass along this great quote in support of the green.
No wonder Harris reads Voltaire. Listen: Dieu ne pas pour le gros battalions, mais pour sequi teront le meilleur. ;):D

Oh my god, french is even more difficult for swabians than english. Nevertheless I understand a lot. But dear Bill, you shot me down with your Voltaire - french. :D:D

Hi Everybody, I am a native Swabian, living in the heart of Wuerttemberg/Germany. So I am sorry for my swabian english;).
In my opinion, FL does a great job. Skirmshers or close order formations? We need both ! But more important I think, is the fact, that FL does not present (as the fiftysecond producer do) the same figures you can find everywhere. Westphalien and of corse WUERTTEMBERGER:D:D:D, that is refreshing, that brings the colour and the variation on our little battlefields at home.
I will do my very best to make known esp. the Wuerttemberger troops of FL in my home country (hope to hear again from you soon Matt :D) in order to support this way of producing very interesting troops we missed so long.
Best regards from Wuerttemberg/Germany
Marcus

Hi, Marcus,

Yes, Wurttemberg figures should at least in theory be very popular in your part of the world. I'll be posting images of the Wurttemberg Line Infantry paint masters to our website next week at the latest as we're preparing them for release this spring. We'll be doing the 1st and 6th Wurttemberg Line Infantry from Borodino.

In terms of our other conversation, look for an email from me over the weekend. I think you'll be pleased. :D

Regards,

Matt

Oh my god, french is even more difficult for swabians than english. Nevertheless I understand a lot. But dear Bill, you shot me down with your Voltaire - french. :D:D
Certainly I did not shoot you down mon ami, but it is hard not to like Voltaire. Here is another of my favorite quotes:
Les opinions ont plus causé de maux sur ce petit globe que la peste et les tremblements de terre.;):D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back