SOOHK with new HK209 Racing Boat (1 Viewer)

View attachment 96833

Brilliant setup Gary. The Racing Boats are beautiful models, although the price shocked me somewhat. Made me think what the price of a Chinese Pirate Junk, if it eventuates, may be. When Andy first mentioned I started a savings plan in anticipation and was doing very well, but with no news forthcoming I eventually started to use the cash for other things... a couple of overseas holidays and started to dabble in WW1. But, your set up has re-inspired me and SOHK has always been my primary interest. So, now, the dilemma for me... and I have been pondering it for a while, is whether to accept the fact that the Pirate Junk is but a dream, buy at least one of these boats and move on to other things. It's a tough call, this is a magnificent set-up and I could easily find a home for a racing boat in mine, but....

Jules

Hello Jules:

Thank you very much for your kind comments and other input.

While most of my displays/dioramas are of a military nature I do have two notable exceptions, namely my big display of the Streets of Old Hong Kong and six smaller dioramas of the Ancient Egyptians by K&C. Yes, the $389.00 USD retail price tag can cause a bit of "price sticker shock"! However, if one allows for the 8 crew members and counting the boat as equal to say two figures the average price per figure comes to just under $39.00 per item which is the going cost of a current 2012 K&C single figure. While I briefly considered getting both K&C sets HK200 and HK209 I indeed soon decided to just go for just the HK209 set alone given the costs for two rather than "just" one.

Best regards, Gary

Hello Jules:

Thank you very much for your kind comments and other input.

While most of my displays/dioramas are of a military nature I do have two notable exceptions, namely my big display of the Streets of Old Hong Kong and six smaller dioramas of the Ancient Egyptians by K&C. Yes, the $389.00 USD retail price tag can cause a bit of "price sticker shock"! However, if one allows for the 8 crew members and counting the boat as equal to say two figures the average price per figure comes to just under $39.00 per item which is the going cost of a current 2012 K&C single figure. While I briefly considered getting both K&C sets HK200 and HK209 I indeed soon decided to just go for just the HK209 set alone given the costs for two rather than "just" one.

Best regards, Gary

Gary, I did receive my Champion Dragon Boat for Father's Day as expected!!!!

18JUN12 021.JPG

You were right on with the description. It is quite a piece. I did note how easily bent the paddles are. However, I must say that this was one of the best designed foam packaging to date. Everything was in order and easy to remove without breaking. My compliments on the packaging design..top notch!!!

18JUN12 022.JPG18JUN12 023.JPG

When you remove the boat you are impressed with the weight and total poly-stone sculpt that appears to be. It is beautiful. All of the other pieces come right out and you do not even need the picture to set it up. It is amazing.

Just look at this piece!!

18JUN12 024.JPG18JUN12 025.JPG

I must say it is a work of art.

I will post one more set of pics.

Ludwig

Gary, I did receive my Champion Dragon Boat for Father's Day as expected!!!!

View attachment 98088

You were right on with the description. It is quite a piece. I did note how easily bent the paddles are. However, I must say that this was one of the best designed foam packaging to date. Everything was in order and easy to remove without breaking. My compliments on the packaging design..top notch!!!

View attachment 98089View attachment 98090

When you remove the boat you are impressed with the weight and total poly-stone sculpt that appears to be. It is beautiful. All of the other pieces come right out and you do not even need the picture to set it up. It is amazing.

Just look at this piece!!

View attachment 98091View attachment 98092

I must say it is a work of art.

I will post one more set of pics.

Ludwig

I have brought it to the oriental guest room and placed on the side table by the futon.

18JUN12 030.JPG18JUN12 031.JPG18JUN12 033.JPG18JUN12 035.JPG18JUN12 036.JPG

It is really nice setting on this table as if it is in a koi pond or something. The pictures do not do it justice at all. Like Jules stated the 389.00 price tag had me turned off. I got lucky to have it given to me for Fathers Day. My wife just loves it and has stated it looks like the blue Dragon Boat will be one of my Birthday Presents. Darn....I am going to have to be nice again for awhile....

Anyway I say the piece is beautiful and worth it. It has to be seen up close and picked up to be truly appreciated. My only criticism is that the paddle men should have had different face sculpts.

In Closing=BIG WINNER KC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ludwig

Ludwig:

I am happy for you getting the K&C set HK209 for Father's Day gift! Thanks for posting photo of the very nice King & Country set box which shows a photo of both sets HK200 & HK209. I hope you get the HK200 set at a later date as well for your next birthday gift! Yes, the Dragon Racing Boats are very well packed, one just has to watch out and avoid bending the oars any more than needs be when removing the figures with oars from the set box.

Gary

Last edited:
I have brought it to the oriental guest room and placed on the side table by the futon.

View attachment 98093View attachment 98094View attachment 98095View attachment 98096View attachment 98097

It is really nice setting on this table as if it is in a koi pond or something. The pictures do not do it justice at all. Like Jules stated the 389.00 price tag had me turned off. I got lucky to have it given to me for Fathers Day. My wife just loves it and has stated it looks like the blue Dragon Boat will be one of my Birthday Presents. Darn....I am going to have to be nice again for awhile....

Anyway I say the piece is beautiful and worth it. It has to be seen up close and picked up to be truly appreciated. My only criticism is that the paddle men should have had different face sculpts.

In Closing=BIG WINNER KC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ludwig

Wow!! Ludwig, The boat looks incredible in your Asian themed display! Where did you get your boat from? We just got ours in, you got to see them in person to really appreciate them!
Best regards
Martin
Kings X

Hi Bayern
How long is the boat
I'm trying to figure out a way
but i need lenght of boat
It's a very nice piece
Thank u

Ludwig,It is impressive that you have a themed room to put your new set in !

Hi Bayern
How long is the boat
I'm trying to figure out a way
but i need lenght of boat
It's a very nice piece
Thank u

PA thank you as always my fiend. I know many do not collect this series. I actually think I decorate with it more then collect it, but it is really nice. My 12 year old grand daughter just loves to spend hours in the room and look at everything. I love your collection. Make more displays!! I just might be doing my first snow display!!!....well other then a failed attempt at Napoleon in Russia years ago...Keep Fingers crossed....

MapleLeaf, The Dragon Boat is 13-1/2" long and 4-1/4" high to the top of the flag.

Let me reiterate....THIS THING IS AWESOME!!

I want the Blue one now to go with my red one!! KC hit a home run on this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back