Spare parts for old Lucotte (2 Viewers)

Hi Johnny I will scan the photos and see how they look. If they come out I will post them here.

Hi Johnny

I forgot to mention the heads of the Russian and Serbian are in soft caps not helmets the Serbian looks like an Overseas cap the Russian one looks odd like a Sailors cap. I will scan them later today after kids soccer games. The French soldiers I saw were in Adrian Helmets that like a lot like the ones WBritains did on their French and Belgian Soldiers of this era.

Dave

Hi Johnny

I forgot to mention the heads of the Russian and Serbian are in soft caps not helmets the Serbian looks like an Overseas cap the Russian one looks odd like a Sailors cap. I will scan them later today after kids soccer games. The French soldiers I saw were in Adrian Helmets that like a lot like the ones WBritains did on their French and Belgian Soldiers of this era.

Dave

All sounds good Dave - soft caps etc., are also relatively easy to come by/adapt. I could also use a bare head, at a pinch - if absolutely necessary. I know from visiting Dorset often enough, that there's a whole variety of heads there - including one with the Adrian helmet. I'll await your scanned pics with great interest.

Hope the kids enjoy their Soccer - don't they know about Rugby?:D jb

The unusual backpacks are definitely not Serb, those figures were given the "standard" Lucotte backpack.
Russ

The unusual backpacks are definitely not Serb, those figures were given the "standard" Lucotte backpack.
Russ

Okay chum - thanks for that ......................Russian - maybe, as Dave suggests???????

Her's a very quick and dirty pic of the running French soldier. I used the Adrian helmet plug-in head that I have one of. I did a quick drilling job on the end of his rifle - which was missing - and inserted a paperclip barrel, then wrapped a piece of Milliput around it. Took about 5 minutes, so is very scruffy - but gives an indication of the sort of repair that could be made. When Milliput is dry - it can be filed and/or sanded back to a shape required - or even be added to if it doesn't come up to snuff.

Just gives an idea of what he could look like

Next job is to clean off all of the old paint and grunge - to get back to a clean casting.

Attachments

• PIC_4494.JPG
    PIC_4494.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 89
I agree with Dave about those headless bodies. My reference is O'Brien's books, and I saw photos of figures with what looks like that body, but depicting soldiers of various other armies. Also, it makes sense if the Bersaglieri's head is Lucotte's rather than CBG-Mignot's; Mignot produced Bersaglieri, but the plumes were sculpted to be longer and fuller than what we see in the photo. Of course, it could have been longer when it was new, and it's now worn away.

That Russian cap that Dave mentions sounds like the old Tsarist field cap. It was similar to the old Prussian/Imperial German cap, except that it's crown was bigger and flared out more, to form a flat top.

Regarding London Bridge, yes, Ron is an authorized Britain's dealer and vendor of Britain's replacement parts, but he's also worked with other makers, and over time, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of anything he may have in his stash.

I look forward to hearing how you make out, John!

Prost!
Brad

I agree with Dave about those headless bodies. My reference is O'Brien's books, and I saw photos of figures with what looks like that body, but depicting soldiers of various other armies. Also, it makes sense if the Bersaglieri's head is Lucotte's rather than CBG-Mignot's; Mignot produced Bersaglieri, but the plumes were sculpted to be longer and fuller than what we see in the photo. Of course, it could have been longer when it was new, and it's now worn away.

That Russian cap that Dave mentions sounds like the old Tsarist field cap. It was similar to the old Prussian/Imperial German cap, except that it's crown was bigger and flared out more, to form a flat top.

Regarding London Bridge, yes, Ron is an authorized Britain's dealer and vendor of Britain's replacement parts, but he's also worked with other makers, and over time, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of anything he may have in his stash.

I look forward to hearing how you make out, John!

Prost!
Brad

Is this the sort of cap Brad?

Cavalry at bivouac.jpg

That is sort of the cap only it is more flared on the Lucotte version in the photo in O’Brien’s book I also took a quick look at Roses Book and he had some very nice color photos so I will look at some of the other books I have and see what I can scan.

Dave

Johnny,

The O'Briens book would not scan on my system but I managed to get the Rose book to scan and here is the picture of the French Soldiers. Note the different back packs. I will try another method to get the Obrien photo on here.

Dave

rosetsbook2.jpg

Johnny,

The O'Briens book would not scan on my system but I managed to get the Rose book to scan and here is the picture of the French Soldiers. Note the different back packs. I will try another method to get the Obrien photo on here.

Dave

View attachment 221230

I also have this book Dave - so have seen those illustrations too. Number 29 is the most interesting, as the marching pose is virtually the same as one of mine - even down to the "fouragerre" (lanyard) on the left shoulder. The difference is - mine is not a Trumpeter - but has the but end of a rifle at right slope arms ( the top part of his weapon has been broken off). At a pinch - I might re-build the rifle - as previously shown - but in a perfect world, I would love to find a replacement part.

Another of my lads, could be number 24 - who is an Indian Army Sepoy, marching at the slope. Both head and - once again - the rifle top part are missing. This guy could easily be converted with Adrian helmet to virtually any Regiment.

So................I think I have four of them sorted out. The two in horizon blue - are to be French Infantry. I will need new heads in Adrian helmet - and maybe replacement weapons (if I can find something suitable).

Two Khaki clad lads - are either the Sepoy ( if I can find a suitable head) - or he will become a French Infantryman, - and the other is an Officer - and both will require new heads. The private will require new ( or rebuilt) rifle again - and the Officer needs a new right arm (maybe with sword) - and a scabbard.

Which means it's just the two with elongated packs to go. Possibly Russians - one is missing a rifle at the slope on his right shoulder - whilst the other is clearly a trumpeter (he also has part of a fouragerre across his chest - so will need to source something like that trumpet for him. Might also be nice to give him a slung rifle - rather like Number 29 in Rose's book - (but in Khaki). If pinch comes to shove - they can both have an Adrian helmet head too.

So - nearly there for the ID's - just the parts to find - and I can begin refurbishing ( and/or converting) them.

Cheers lads - thanks for the help so far. IF anyone has pics of the two with strange packs - please let me know. jb

I will check with London Bridge here and see if he has arms and heads for these guys the Russians will be more difficult to source but maybe the Mignot collected we have here can help. More soon

Dave

Is this the sort of cap Brad?

View attachment 221217

That is sort of the cap only it is more flared on the Lucotte version in the photo in O’Brien’s book I also took a quick look at Roses Book and he had some very nice color photos so I will look at some of the other books I have and see what I can scan.

Dave

Yep, that's it, Dave! I think the British called the "muffin caps", because the crown was flared so much, they looked like muffins.

Prost!
Brad

I will check with London Bridge here and see if he has arms and heads for these guys the Russians will be more difficult to source but maybe the Mignot collected we have here can help. More soon

Dave

Thyanks Dave - most kind - jb:salute::

I decided to have a go at one of my finds today - using some spares from my box.

I used arms meant for a Britains repair (originally from Dorset model Soldiers). I modified them by cutting, filing and drilling holes, to fit to the arm lugs on the Lucotte Officer. Here's how he looked after stripping and removing his old arm - and loosly re-fitting BOTH new modified arms. - One coat of paint so far - also note the scabbarded sword being carried in his left hand.

PIC_4498.JPGPIC_4499.JPG

After a few more modifications - and a little putty and paint - he has now reached this stage. Note also the Infantryman next to him - who has had a new arm with rifle temporarily added after similar modifications - just to see how it looks. I think that these two examples with parts from my spares box have proved the point - and that suitable parts CAN be found and modified locally here in the UK. Okay, they will never be "Original Lucotte" again - but as I don't intend to part with them any time soon - what the heck!!!:D jb

PIC_4501.JPG

Those look great! I tried calling the folks at London Bridge but got no answer even though they should have been there but I will try again. I’ll let you know if they have any arms or heads available

Dave

Johnny I got a hold of them and they have some parts but if you can get heads and arms that fit the old Britains hollowcasts they will fit you guys the Russian figure was identified to me as Pavlov Grenadiers if that helps. I recommend using Dorset figures parts

Johnny I got a hold of them and they have some parts but if you can get heads and arms that fit the old Britains hollowcasts they will fit you guys the Russian figure was identified to me as Pavlov Grenadiers if that helps. I recommend using Dorset figures parts
Dorset Castings list.

Hi Dave - many thanks - and I will use Dorset - as it's closer, and the post will be quicker - and also no import duty or British postal charges to add on!!!

My Officer guy has had a bit more work done on him today - and he's looking quite smart already. I had often wondered what Lucottes would be like to work on - and I must admit to being pleasantly surprised. They are quite soft metal - so easy to work. Heads are plug-ins - and arms/weapons are soldered on to lugs - which are quite easy to work loose ( the ones that remained!). Then, it's just make the new parts fit.

My Dorset arms are intended for Britains - but also easily adaptable with files and drills - so changing them over from plug-in types where necessary is a doddle! I have been working through a list of parts just this afternoon - and not just for these Lucottes - but for around 90 or so "hospital" cases I've bought up over the past couple of months. Even though all of the moving chores has taken up my painting time lately - I still have a look most days at what's around on e-bay to fix up. I'm also making good progress with my first installment of Royal Horse Guards (c.1820's) - so will be able to show them soon too.

Here's one I finished yesterday. He's a Britains Country Cleric - who came to me with his bible and arm AWOL. The new arm from Dorset again (what would I do without them?) simply popped on - and after a scrub-up and a re-paint - he's ready to spread the good word once again - and fit for another Century or so, of his good work

Thanks again for getting some info from Ron at London Bridge - very much appreciated jb

Attachments

• PIC_4496.JPG
    PIC_4496.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 107
You bet Johnny! I am looking forward to seeing the Royal Horse Guards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back