Spot The Difference (2 Viewers)

The one on the right is the Del Prado figure. I noticed the plume as well. The frogging and painted details are not as crisp as K&C regular

The one on the right is the Del Prado figure. I noticed the plume as well. The frogging and painted details are not as crisp as K&C regular

So one is a Spaniard attempting to pass as a Scot ? the recruiting Sgt will be a stable orderly tomorow.................

Nevertheless, the Del Prado figure is pretty good quality considering the price.
Benjamin

Here's a pic of 2 Charging Scots Greys alongside each other. Can anyone spot the difference??? :D

sc1nk7.jpg

Ok guys, sorry for the lack of details in my first post. I loved all the humorous responses and clever observations :D It was, afterall, a psychological experiment for me. So I'll put to rest, the horns of dilemma.

Both figures are K&C. The figure on the left, came with a missing tail. So, armed with a tail casting, paints, color matching and some dry brushing, I repaired it and hence now, have a scots grey "variant" amongst my collection.

A good buddy of mine makes castings such as tails, bayonets, muskets, plumes, etc.

However whats interesting, Alex noted that the legs were painted differently, and they are indeed. I didn't realize this before. My only answer to this is the same as what Brad pointed out. Perhaps a difference in casting and the period in which it was painted during the manufacturing stage.

Also, the lighting and camera angles were deceptive, so therefore a clear, accurate distinction and comparison was not possible. My apologies. Otherwise, upon and after closer inspection, everything else on both figures are almost identical.

Thank you all for your participation on this thread. I would love to see member's pictures on "repaired" or restoration jobs of any figure as well.

Yes, excellent experiment, excellent repair job!

Have you ever heard of the Australian consulting firm called Austhink, or are you familiar with Dr. Paul Monk? Your cognitive exercise reminds me of some of their material, about how we think and process information.

Do you do any of your own painting and converting, beyond repairs like these? You should give it a try, if you don't already.

Prost!
Brad

Yes, excellent experiment, excellent repair job!

Have you ever heard of the Australian consulting firm called Austhink, or are you familiar with Dr. Paul Monk? Your cognitive exercise reminds me of some of their material, about how we think and process information.

Do you do any of your own painting and converting, beyond repairs like these? You should give it a try, if you don't already.

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad,
I'm not familiar with Dr Paul Monk but I do enjoy the work of Carl Gustav Jung. My wife is a psycho therapist and incorporates cognitive therapy in her practice. Are you in a similar industry?

I use to do alot of painting, but can hardly find the time these days. Repairs and conversions is all I can muster at the moment. Like many others, I currently use Vallejo paints.

Best Regards

Hi Brad,
I use to do alot of painting, but can hardly find the time these days. Repairs and conversions is all I can muster at the moment. Like many others, I currently use Vallejo paints.
Since you all mentioned painting and repairs, how about conversions? I was wondering how hard it might be and how you would go about lowering a rifle position (as from a 20-30 degree ready position to a 70-80 degree attach position) on a painted metal figure? With plastic you would cut with a wedge out of the inner elbow joints with a hobby knife, extend the arms to give you the lowered position and fill in the removed section with epoxy. Is something like that posible for painted metal?

It's a similar surgery for a metal figure, but I would recommend stripping the figure completely for that kind of work, and repainting it, because it's likely to get damaged so thoroughly in the process, anyway.

But you can use many of the same techniques, albeit perhaps with slightly different materials. For example, you could use wire to make a frame to lower the hem on a coattee and make it a frock, and then use solder to fill the space (as well as using cold putties). Many possibilities.

Prost!
Brad

Since you all mentioned painting and repairs, how about conversions? I was wondering how hard it might be and how you would go about lowering a rifle position (as from a 20-30 degree ready position to a 70-80 degree attach position) on a painted metal figure? With plastic you would cut with a wedge out of the inner elbow joints with a hobby knife, extend the arms to give you the lowered position and fill in the removed section with epoxy. Is something like that posible for painted metal?

I would contact our UKReb on this as he has converted a few metal figures in the past for his civil war diodramas. He is the only person that I know of (just by the postings I have seen) that has done this on the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back