Stalingrad vs new SS (1 Viewer)

Real quick one - those of you who were following us at the time when we first released our WWII figures around 3 or 4 years ago may remember that after GERSSTAL001-GERSTAL009 and RUSSTAL001-RUSSTAL005 we stated that we would be scaling the WWII range up 1-2mm per figure. Enough to get the effect we wanted but no so much as to lose compatibility. This is a comparison between GERSTAL004 which was made prior to the size shift with a new figure. I believe this was discussed on the forum way back when...

Best,

Matt

Good to know, Matt! Thanks. Would still like to see the new SS figures compared with the 101st or "newer" Russian Front figures. :)

I just took some photos of some paras/ ss/ Stalingrad and will post them shortly ...sammy

As promised...

I have selected both pre and post size adjustment Stalingrad figures. I have also included shot with the American paras

I tend to agree with Alex regarding facial painting. the Stalingrad range has the edge in my opinion. The transitions between highlights and shading are softer and more connoisseur like on those figures. Considering the rapid expansion of First Legion's lines this isn't overly surprising as I suspect a variety of production facilities are in play.

Here are some shots of SS figures in action. They photograph pretty nicely IMO

Frank

As promised...

I have selected both pre and post size adjustment Stalingrad figures. I have also included shot with the American paras

I tend to agree with Alex regarding facial painting. the Stalingrad range has the edge in my opinion. The transitions between highlights and shading are softer and more connoisseur like on those figures. Considering the rapid expansion of First Legion's lines this isn't overly surprising as I suspect a variety of production facilities are in play.

Here are some shots of SS figures in action. They photograph pretty nicely IMO

Frank

Frank:

As usual your pictures are the best!

It seems to me that there is no size difference? Do you see the same thing in person?

All the figures look extremely compatible. Only 'big' difference I see between the two lines is in the faces. The SS faces are all rather long w/large chins and similar in appearance, IMO the Stalingrad faces are more properly proportioned and different from from each other. The SS releases and the Stalingrad figures look to be done by two different sculptors, each with their own style of doing faces.

Last edited:
I agree the size difference is negligible and definitely in the "acceptable range" for 1:30th scale....I like the Waffen SS figures and have purchased 6 of them....but I generally prefer the grey Stalingrad figures and will likely continue to concentrate my WWII focus on the Battle of Stalingrad....I'm hoping to soon see a grey FL Panzer IV(short barrel)..... Also we need more Winter German Stalingrad figures and Winter German tank riders to battle the new Winter Russians.....FIRST LEGION RULES:salute::

The only place that I can really tell a difference is in the face/head size of the SS when compared to the Stalingrad Germans. Other than that they all look just about the same. I would never have noticed most likely. At least they look good with the 101st boys.

The only place that I can really tell a difference is in the face/head size of the SS

True, but I don't think it's all the figs. It may be one fat head that was used on several figures. Maybe on future SS figs FL could think of using that fathead on fewer figs to balance out the look of the population better

I think the SS on the Western Front are just better fed than the soldaten duking it out in Stalingrad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back