Surprised not alot more love for the return of the condor (1 Viewer)

zulucollector

Sergeant
I am surprised this figure did not get more attention as it has been awhile since anything new from this line.. It is the only Jenkins line that I have ever been interested in but hesitant to start collecting since it was AFV heavy with little troops and it seemed to be a line without a future.. Does anyone know if Jenkins plan to reinvest in this line...

Attachments

• COND07.jpg
    COND07.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 304
When the series was released, it will be 5 years in September, it was announced as a mini-series which would concentrate mainly on the equipment used by the Condor Legion.

Too bad the Condor Legion Stuka didn't pan out. Though what would really make my day is a CR.32.

Although I lived in Spain and have always been interested in the Civil War and collected the line for awhile, I thought it was too much Condor Legion and not enough Republican forces (at least for me). Even more Falangist forces would have been better.

It's also a war whose imagination has seemed to fade with the public in general, not just collectors. It was a peculiarly Spanish war with important foreign involvement. However, I would have liked to seen, as said, more emphasis on Spain and less on Germany. However, that might not have sold.

Although I lived in Spain and have always been interested in the Civil War and collected the line for awhile, I thought it was too much Condor Legion and not enough Republican forces (at least for me). Even more Falangist forces would have been better.

It's also a war whose imagination has seemed to fade with the public in general, not just collectors. It was a peculiarly Spanish war with important foreign involvement. However, I would have liked to seen, as said, more emphasis on Spain and less on Germany. However, that might not have sold.

Took a pic of the SCW lineup:

View attachment 171377

JJD's got planes, pilots and armored vehicles. Not a whole lot of infantry, though, or horses. What else can you do with the SCW, an execution squad perhaps? Another possibility would be some refugees or partisan-looking sets. The planes and pilots are about as close as we get to my overall, "happy-warrior theme" here. Then again, it could be that this range was something of a bridge without a destination.:(

-Moe

The I-16 and BT-5 are favorites of my collections. I'd love to see more airplanes and ground-crew, but that's also true of the WWI line as well.

Having looked at the list posted by Moe, you can see it's top heavy with Germans. However, that's only a part of the Spanish Civil War. There is a lot you could do; you could do Italians (who got their you know what kicked at the Battle of Guadalajara by the Government forces), personality figures like Franco and General Mola on the Fascist side or Colonel Rojo, Andres Nin, and Largo Caballero on the Republican side, Hemingway, Moors, Spanish Foreign Legion, more International Brigades. I could go on and on. Hiriart has made a lot of Nationalist sets and that could be a clue where to go. There are also other vehicles that could be made. I have two or three books in Spanish on them.

Having said that, would they sell. Maybe yes, maybe no. More likely no, unfortunately.

Having looked at the list posted by Moe, you can see it's top heavy with Germans. However, that's only a part of the Spanish Civil War. There is a lot you could do; you could do Italians (who got their you know what kicked at the Battle of Guadalajara by the Government forces), personality figures like Franco and General Mola on the Fascist side or Colonel Rojo, Andres Nin, and Largo Caballero on the Republican side, Hemingway, Moors, Spanish Foreign Legion, more International Brigades. I could go on and on. Hiriart has made a lot of Nationalist sets and that could be a clue where to go. There are also other vehicles that could be made. I have two or three books in Spanish on them.

Having said that, would they sell. Maybe yes, maybe no. More likely no, unfortunately.

I understand they were not big sellers, although they must have been made in low numbers because all of the AFVs and aircraft are sold out at JJD or are low in stock. The models are the best I have seen for detail, weathering and historical accuracy. Since one of my favourite ranges is K&C Fields of Battle, these make excellent forerunners to the 1939 Polish campaign for both German and Russian armour and for the 1940 Fall of France. The Russian tanks also work for the early days of Barbarossa. So far only JJD has made the Panzer I, BT-5 and T-26.

Terry

I'm not a particularly well-schooled student in this instance, Brad. I do know that there were all sorts of fissures in Spanish society, ones involving religion, class and ideology. Adding to the split was meddling from foreign elements, fascist and communist. Apart from that, these pics pretty much sum up my insights into the conflict:

View attachment 171391View attachment 171392

Your post cites quite a few possibilities for subjects, but they seem sort of scattered. Or, should I say, the conflict was. It strikes me as something of an amorphous, historical cyclone of players and events, which, taken in aggregate, add up to little more than a mountain of heartache for millions of people who found themselves cast out from a center that could not hold. Perhaps, that's what attracted Hemingway to the struggle, the absurdity and determinism of it all. Trouble is, I'm not sure that a theme like that translates very well into Toy Soldiers sets.:redface2:

-Moe

Moe,

I think you're summary is not bad. I think what attracted Hemingway to Spain was the struggle between the progressive democratic parties which tended leftward and the power structure on the right (the industrialists, the landowners, the Army and the Church), which didn't want to give an inch. Viewed in today's terms, what the Republican government wanted to do would be considered conservative, not particularly revolutionary. However, for Spain it was. To a certain extent the conflict represented what was happening in other parts of Europe. Unfortunately, for Spain, the two sides could not find any common ground nor any agreement on working with the Republic so a war broke out.

I also think what attracted Hemingway to Spain is Spain. There's something about Spain that's hard to explain. When I was living there in the 60s, and tourism was starting to take off, the National Tourist Office had a good slogan, "Spain is different," and it is.

Apologies if my suggestions were disjointed; it was a bit of a stream of consciousness.

Apologies if my suggestions were disjointed; it was a bit of a stream of consciousness.

No need for an apology, as your suggestions seem quite reasonable.

Question for you, though, as you lived in Spain...

Did you detect much evidence of residual ill-will among Spaniards over the now-distant events of the SCW, a belief among many that the bad-guys had won?

If so, would the resulting ideological schism preclude leftist-Spaniards from collecting fascist sets, or vice-versa?

-Moe

Moe,

It's been awhile since I lived or visited there but when I read Giles Tremlett's Ghosts of Spain, it was obvious that in some places, such as the villages, the ill feeling remained as many who been on the winning side suffered no repercussions after the Franco regime disappeared. There were some who had denounced people (who were then taken away and shot or imprisoned) who were still walking around with impunity. This happened on both sides and those old enmities are still there. I suppose in time, as the participants or the people who lived through that time die, it will become less. I think people recognize that something like that can't happen again.

Brad

Moe,

It's been awhile since I lived or visited there but when I read Giles Tremlett's Ghosts of Spain, it was obvious that in some places, such as the villages, the ill feeling remained as many who been on the winning side suffered no repercussions after the Franco regime disappeared. There were some who had denounced people (who were then taken away and shot or imprisoned) who were still walking around with impunity. This happened on both sides and those old enmities are still there. I suppose in time, as the participants or the people who lived through that time die, it will become less. I think people recognize that something like that can't happen again.

Brad

Thanks Brad,

-Moe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back