Tarawa Landing part 2 (2 Viewers)

Horus

Brigadier General
I've spent a bit more time putting this scene together and hopefully improving on the first attempt.
Not having done water effects before other than just a plastic sheet with ripples in it, I've tried to create small waves breaking on a beach.
First attempt also for the Flamethrower effect.

Next to construct Sea wall and bigger bunker.

Steve

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Looking great Steve - nice job on the water. You're really bringing this scene to life.

WoW fantastic diorama have you there! 👍👍👍👍
I like explosion and the flame of a Flame Thrower.! The sand you used is also beautiful.
That's what I'm still looking for. the right sand color??????

Harrie🇳🇱

very nice, but try to avoid the plastic look on the vegetation . A coat of matt varnish will already help a lot.
I would also use different shades of green for the plants
guy:)

Really nice development on the Tarawa diorama, Steve.

That water effect is great. Can you say what it is?
Sort of looks like Gesso or something similar?

Like Guy mentioned, I have used a matt spray on some plastic (vegetation) before and it improves it a lot. Also get a few shades of green and dry brush some of the leaves makes a nice contrast.... darker on the bottom and lighter on the top.

Looking forward to the next installment.

---LaRRy

Steve, Inspirational and thanks for sharing lots of good ideas!

Like Guy mentioned, I have used a matt spray on some plastic (vegetation) before and it improves it a lot. Also get a few shades of green and dry brush some of the leaves makes a nice contrast.... darker on the bottom and lighter on the top.

---LaRRy

Larry I think it's clear silicone with some white dry brushing but I could be wrong
guy

very nice, but try to avoid the plastic look on the vegetation . A coat of matt varnish will already help a lot.
I would also use different shades of green for the plants
guy:)

Thanks Guy I will try out both your tips. :salute::

Steve

---LaRRy

Thanks for your tips too Larry. The water effect is Transparent Silicone sealer / Caulking from a hardware store. I've tried two different ones out, the result was that although the cheapest was ok, though in the thicker places it is still a little cloudy. But the main draw back was working with it indoors, though well ventilated, the fumes quickly gave me a headache ! The better one which you see in the photos was also the dearest, but doesn't contain solvents and if I use it again, it's that I would go for. Probably a different name in the US, here in UK it's the Unibond Crystal at £8 a tube.

Steve

Spot on Guy !

Steve

Thanks for your tips too Larry. The water effect is Transparent Silicone sealer / Caulking from a hardware store. I've tried two different ones out, the result was that although the cheapest was ok, though in the thicker places it is still a little cloudy. But the main draw back was working with it indoors, though well ventilated, the fumes quickly gave me a headache ! The better one which you see in the photos was also the dearest, but doesn't contain solvents and if I use it again, it's that I would go for. Probably a different name in the US, here in UK it's the Unibond Crystal at £8 a tube.

Steve

Gents,

There is a product that I have been using and it is called ... Gusso ... or Acrylic Gel Medium. In the container it is a gel paste that is very easy to work with and {sm4} danger fumes. It goes on white but dries clear.
You can play with it for a while after application to get waves and texture.

I use in on my model ship dioramas to simulate ocean or rivers. I'll give it a try for a beach and post the results.

--- LaRRy

Gents,

There is a product that I have been using and it is called ... Gusso ... or Acrylic Gel Medium. In the container it is a gel paste that is very easy to work with and {sm4} danger fumes. It goes on white but dries clear.
You can play with it for a while after application to get waves and texture.

I use in on my model ship dioramas to simulate ocean or rivers. I'll give it a try for a beach and post the results.

--- LaRRy

Cheers Larry be interested to see and hear how it turns out.

Steve

WoW fantastic diorama have you there! 👍👍👍👍
I like explosion and the flame of a Flame Thrower.! The sand you used is also beautiful.
That's what I'm still looking for. the right sand color??????

Harrie🇳🇱

Thanks Harrie !

The explosions are just cushion stuffing. Polyester type, sprayed a dark grey and with a battery operated tea light behind, you can pick those up cheaply at Pound stores and I would expect they'll be in $ stores too.

The Flame for the flame thrower is cotton wool skewer made of a piece of wire and then painted. Base coat Yellow, then first 1/4-1/2 inch white for where it comes out of the flame thrower then start dabbing or spraying, orange in the middle ending red/orange at end and finally a few spots of black at the end.

I'm also still trying to find some really light coloured sand myself the darker stuff is ok for up to the high tide mark etc . The sand nearest the water I gave another coat of watered down PVA so that it would dry slightly darker than the sand that will be up against the sea wall.

Steve

Steve, what a GREAT looking dio. :salute:: So many possibilities here. BTW, flame thrower effects look awesome. Chris

A thank you to all who have made comments, likes and tips and hope some of you will find my tips useful too !

Steve

It is the best diorama that I have seen on this theme, Steve; even considering the ones made by the toysoldiers companies! Really very good! The positions, the distances are perfect, the signs on the beach,the palms, the seaside, the flame...{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}.......

Hi Steve,

I completely agree with Poppo. I'm not sure have seen something like this before.{eek3} Sometimes the little details make a big difference... I ought to say something great about those marks of the body being pulled up onto the beach... YOU ARE AN ARTIST! :)

Thanks a lot for sharing with us your pictures! It's working, keep going!

Cheers

Enrico

Thanks Poppo, very good of you too say ! Though I really do have a lot of work yet to improve it enough to match K&C own set up.

The second BMC Amtrac has arrived so I need to do sculpt some milliput vision slits and hatches for it, get it primed and decide whether to go Green or Grey with the paint scheme.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I completely agree with Poppo. I'm not sure have seen something like this before.{eek3} Sometimes the little details make a big difference... I ought to say something great about those marks of the body being pulled up onto the beach... YOU ARE AN ARTIST! :)

Thanks a lot for sharing with us your pictures! It's working, keep going!

Cheers

Enrico

Enrico thank you ! Well done on noticing the drag marks, next version I'll remember to do a blood stain for where the wounded Marine fell !

Cheers !
Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back