TG's French Foreign Legion Figures (1 Viewer)

Andanna

Command Sergeant Major
I am just getting into this range and ordered everything that has a donkey attached to it. Having said that, I know nothing about this unit except that Laurel and Hardy enlisted as foreigners.

Which period are these figures? I read somewhere 1920's - hence post WWI? I trust I can mix all the pant and headgear variations. Anyone knows which battle scenario fits these figures best? I mostly see them in desert dioramas - which I assume stands in for Northern Africa.

Lastly, any book recommendation? I saw Osprey cuts off one volume at 1914.

Thank you for any pearls of wisdom. Really liked the figures at this price point. As long as a donkey is attached to them. Only a camel corps would beat the donkey corps.

I am just getting into this range and ordered everything that has a donkey attached to it. Having said that, I know nothing about this unit except that Laurel and Hardy enlisted as foreigners.

Which period are these figures? I read somewhere 1920's - hence post WWI? I trust I can mix all the pant and headgear variations. Anyone knows which battle scenario fits these figures best? I mostly see them in desert dioramas - which I assume stands in for Northern Africa.

Lastly, any book recommendation? I saw Osprey cuts off one volume at 1914.

Thank you for any pearls of wisdom. Really liked the figures at this price point. As long as a donkey is attached to them. Only a camel corps would beat the donkey corps.
There are hundreds of books on the FFL. A good, complete history is Douglas Porch's 'The French Foreign Legion'. Osprey has at least 6 different FFL titles. -- Al

Last edited:
I think these figures are early 20th cen. pre WWI
Mark

From the rifles i thought they we 1920s, especially as the Arab sets were in the WW1 range.

Yes these are most excellent figures. Am hoping TGM expands their FFL range to some outstanding combat service support type figures: medics, camel corps, engineering(sappers), Legion Band etc etc.

A good read on overall Legion History is Our Friends Beneath the Sands by Martin Windrow.

Keep it silly

Yes these are most excellent figures. Am hoping TGM expands their FFL range to some outstanding combat service support type figures: medics, camel corps, engineering(sappers), Legion Band etc etc.

A good read on overall Legion History is Our Friends Beneath the Sands by Martin Windrow.

Keep it silly

Yes i have that book. Martin Windrow (osprey editor of the series Men At Arms) is a great expert about FFL and french army. He wrote also "The Last Valley" about the battle of Dien Bien Phu (imo the best book on the battle and the best book of Martin Windrow). For the nature of the fighting the book "Our friends beneath the sands" results difficult to read, but not because the author doesn't do his best,the prose is always good and Martin writes wonderfully, but the action in far and distant places requires looking often at maps (there are a lot in the book) and so you can't concentrate well. Also as i wrote above , the nature of the action is one made of raids of tribes against isolated forts and columns, a steady stream of actions and losses, fascinating as it was put on book by the famous (and mysterious) P.C.Wren of "Beau Geste fame, not a war (if there's one) i'd like to fight. By the way look at some movies too for "inspiration" in collecting: "Beau Geste" (the classic one), "March or Die" and "Fort Saganne" (also i recommend "The Legionary" with Van Damme!) .

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the tips, I have considered watching For Saganne...but always drop the idea given that the film is in French...My French stinks although I could understand most of the film if I really concentrated....
The other fims mentioned are just great and I enjoy seeing them from time to time, there is always a little detail extra you can pick up and use in you dio ideas.....as well as catch a historically wrong add on {sm4}{sm4}{sm4}
Cheers
Luiz

Yes i have that book. Martin Windrow (osprey editor of the series Men At Arms) is a great expert about FFL and french army. He wrote also "The Last Valley" about the battle of Dien Bien Phu (imo the best book on the battle and the best book of Martin Windrow). For the nature of the fighting the book "Our friends beneath the sands" results difficult to read, but not because the author doesn't do his best,the prose is always good and Martin writes wonderfully, but the action in far and distant places requires looking often at maps (there are a lot in the book) and so you can't concentrate well. Also as i wrote above , the nature of the action is one made of raids of tribes against isolated forts and columns, a steady stream of actions and losses, fascinating as it was put on book by the famous (and mysterious) P.C.Wren of "Beau Geste fame, not a war (if there's one) i'd like to fight. By the way look at some movies too for "inspiration" in collecting: "Beau Geste" (the classic one), "March or Die" and "Fort Saganne" (also i recommend "The Legionary" with Van Damme!) .

As to reference books I would list the following:
The already mentioned Osprey series...these are great for they give a little historical background and are packed with drawings and pictures.I would focus in buying the ones that have Mike Chappell ( the best military artist ever ) as the one doing the illustrations...the guy is dam good...
The titles are:
From Ospprey>
(1) MAT Special Collector´s Edition - French Foreign Legion Since 1945, MAT´s 25th Anniversary and 300th MAT...Ref number MAT 300
(2) French Foreign Legion Paratroops - Elite Series no.6
(3) French Foreign Legion - Old series did not carry a MAT number
(4) French Foreign Legion 1872-1914 MAT 461
(5) Rrench Foreign Legion 1914-1945 MAT 325
(6) French Foreign Legiommaire 1890-1914 - Warrior series 157
Other Publishers:
(1)The French Foreign Legion Today by Yves Debay Published by Europa Militaria no.10
(2)The series of 3 books that cover the French ARMY From 1914 to 1940 called Officers and Soldiers of the French ARMY 1914, Officers and Soldiers of the French Army 1918, Officers and Soldiers of the French Army 1940, all written by (3)André Jouineau and published by Histoire & Collections ( they have an English version )
(4)Uniforms of the French Foreign Legion 1831-1981 by Martin Windrow, Publisehd by Blandford
(5) The History of the French Foreign Legion from 1831 to the present day - by David Jordan Pub by The Lyons Press
(6) The French Foreign Legion by James Wellard, Pub André Deutsch
(7) The French Foreign Legion - A complete History of the Legendary Fighting Force, by Douglas Porch, Pub by Harper Collins
(8) With the French Foreign Legion in Syria by John Harvey, pub by Greenhill books
(9) The French Foreign Legion by John Laffin, Pub by Barnes & Noble

Happy Reading.....

Cheers

Luiz - Artillery_Crazy

As to reference books I would list the following:
The already mentioned Osprey series...these are great for they give a little historical background and are packed with drawings and pictures.I would focus in buying the ones that have Mike Chappell ( the best military artist ever ) as the one doing the illustrations...the guy is dam good...
The titles are:
From Ospprey>
(1) MAT Special Collector´s Edition - French Foreign Legion Since 1945, MAT´s 25th Anniversary and 300th MAT...Ref number MAT 300
(2) French Foreign Legion Paratroops - Elite Series no.6
(3) French Foreign Legion - Old series did not carry a MAT number
(4) French Foreign Legion 1872-1914 MAT 461
(5) Rrench Foreign Legion 1914-1945 MAT 325
(6) French Foreign Legiommaire 1890-1914 - Warrior series 157
Other Publishers:
(1)The French Foreign Legion Today by Yves Debay Published by Europa Militaria no.10
(2)The series of 3 books that cover the French ARMY From 1914 to 1940 called Officers and Soldiers of the French ARMY 1914, Officers and Soldiers of the French Army 1918, Officers and Soldiers of the French Army 1940, all written by (3)André Jouineau and published by Histoire & Collections ( they have an English version )
(4)Uniforms of the French Foreign Legion 1831-1981 by Martin Windrow, Publisehd by Blandford
(5) The History of the French Foreign Legion from 1831 to the present day - by David Jordan Pub by The Lyons Press
(6) The French Foreign Legion by James Wellard, Pub André Deutsch
(7) The French Foreign Legion - A complete History of the Legendary Fighting Force, by Douglas Porch, Pub by Harper Collins
(8) With the French Foreign Legion in Syria by John Harvey, pub by Greenhill books
(9) The French Foreign Legion by John Laffin, Pub by Barnes & Noble

Happy Reading.....

Cheers

Luiz - Artillery_Crazy

Yes i agree with the judgement on Mike Chappell, i love many Osprey artists(McBride, Peter Dennis, Karatchouk, Graham Turner, Gerry Embleton and many others) , but when you come at the detail you must stick with Chappell. I prize every book of him i have! Unfortunately , and strangely the new book completing the series on the FFL (the one about 1830-1870) doesn't include plates by Chappel, but by Embleton. Btw, i have many of the book listed in pdf form (some are really difficult to find!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back