The 2023 chicago toy soldier show has been cancelled................... (2 Viewers)

...I'm sure the Hyatt caused headaches but the demise of this show didn't help...

There is no "demise", and the headache the Hyatt caused is ​the show's cancellation, for this year. There is nothing preventing the promoters from finding another venue for next year and beyond. That is the point some of us are making. This is not the end of the Chicago Toy Soldier show, and it's wrong to interpret it as such.

Prost!
Brad

Last edited:
The Hyatt wasted no time. I contacted them last week and the ballroom was already booked for Sunday. It goes to show you that they Didn't want or care about it.

I have begun contacting a couple places and one looks promising for the same weekend. There is a lot of positive vibes out there. I have gotten many calls and emails.

There is no "demise", and the headache the Hyatt caused is ​the show's cancellation, for this year. There is nothing preventing the promoters from finding another venue for next year and beyond. That is the point some of us are making. This is not the end of the Chicago Toy Soldier show, and it's wrong to interpret it as such.

Prost!
Brad

It’s not the end of the show but it may be the end as presently constituted. Even Matt admitted that room trading may be a thing of the past. Room trading is what made this show different from the others (except maybe the West Coaster). Without room trading it’s just another show. That is the point you’re failing to grasp.

I’m sure the Show will go on — which is great for people who live in the Chicago metro area — but it will be a different kind of show.

For the most part, hotels don't want us, take our local NETSS show for example, it used to held at the Holiday Inn in Dedham.

Matt from HB took over the show, he ran it in the Spring and the Fall and he'd always try to book the next show in time to let the attendees at the present show know to save the date, but all the hotel did was jerk him around, they would not allow him to book it out 6 months as they'd rather wait on a wedding, anniversary, sweet 16, etc, etc, so they could sell food and more to the point booze.

He got sick of getting jerked around and moved the show, then that hotel started pulling the same crap, so he had no choice but to move it again, the current venue recently raised their rate/priced him out, so he's once again looking for a new venue.

The East Coast Toy Soldier show was held in the FDU fieldhouse, perfect location, no muss, no fuss, except they used to pull the same crap with the late Bill Lango, would not give him a date until late Summer/early Fall.

One of the promoters on the East Coast has moved the Spring Cabin Fever show by my count 5 or 6 times, he's settled on the Wayne PAL, just like the Annandale show is in a bingo hall, the Gettysburg show has moved, the Long Island Club show is in a rec center, the VA Club show has moved from a hotel to a college to a high school back to a hotel.

The one constant is change, shows keep moving through no fault of theirs, just like Chicago; the promoters did not up and cancel the show, the venue forced their hand, the show itself will continue, just in a different venue.

I still say the smart move is to team up with the Midwest Model Figure club and combine the two shows, have a number of metal dealers move into that venue and expand that show into a much bigger one that will cast a wider net of attendees, think MFCA, to me, that would be a logical plan, at least for 2023, piggy back off of an up and running show, I am sure they'd love to sell another 100 or so vendor tables, see how it goes and then go from there.

We'll see what the future holds, I'm sure something will be worked out regardless.

It’s not the end of the show but it may be the end as presently constituted. Even Matt admitted that room trading may be a thing of the past. Room trading is what made this show different from the others (except maybe the West Coaster). Without room trading it’s just another show. That is the point you’re failing to grasp.

I’m sure the Show will go on — which is great for people who live in the Chicago metro area — but it will be a different kind of show.

I agree with you, Brad. I disagree with those whose responses indicate that they believe the show will never recur. The sky is not falling.

Prost!
Brad

I agree with you, Brad. I disagree with those whose responses indicate that they believe the show will never recur. The sky is not falling.

Prost!
Brad

I agree with you Brad. The Show, as they say, will go on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back