"The Angel of the Battlefield" (2 Viewers)

I'll use a bigger winky next time.

wink.jpg

It shows. I've been a reenactor and my wife participated with me so I picked up some information on woman's gear.

Funny you should say that as I was thinking about replacing the arms to have her sweeping and do a repaint!
Ken

Ken - I know of course we are being period appropriate - when we look at other things for our nurse to do - in the 1860's most women worked in the home - sweeping, doing the cooking, etc. But I feel we need a disclaimer that no members of this forum should ever in their right minds consider purhasing a broom, vaccuum, iron or other home economics device for their better half's birthday, Christmas, anniversary, Valentines Day, etc. unless said collector wishes to cease collecting immediately.

Richard

Boy I guess I am pretty lucky. Ericka asked for a new kitchen mixer for Christmas a few years ago and I almost didn't buy her one because I thought she was kidding. I always remember the frosty Christmas morning when my dad bought my mom a new set of pots and pans!
Ken

Boy I guess I am pretty lucky. Ericka asked for a new kitchen mixer for Christmas a few years ago and I almost didn't buy her one because I thought she was kidding. I always remember the frosty Christmas morning when my dad bought my mom a new set of pots and pans!
Ken

It is the other way round in our house my Dad is the cook and a mighty fine one he is too. Both my parent's love cooking so I am never at a loss for Christamas presents. Dad's gift this past Christmas was a meat cleaver, Mum's was perfume.

It is the other way round in our house my Dad is the cook and a mighty fine one he is too. Both my parent's love cooking so I am never at a loss for Christamas presents. Dad's gift this past Christmas was a meat cleaver, Mum's was perfume.

Interesting! I have my mother an antique silver seam ripper (she sows mist if my reenacting cloths), an army/navy needle book from WWII, a ravioli maker, and perfume. I must admit, though, as I love to cook, the "home economics" device
was kind of a mutual gift^&grin%^V
-Sandir

p.s. Where to find a "better half" who also collects toy soldiers....:confused:^&grin My mother tryed to explain to me why some people may not like to share their living spaces with hundreds-or more-other, tiny people^&grin

Sarah Low, of Dover, New Hampshire (see photo below) was one of 20,000 women in Union and Confederate medical service during the Civil War. Among the well-known women who served were Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, Clara Barton, Dorothea Dix, Susie King Taylor, and Louisa May Alcott, author of Little Women. There were male nurses as well such as the poet Walt Whitman. The Union Navy had some of the first African American nurses. The Union's Mississippi River Squadron had its own hospital ship which included the first US Navy female nurses. Five of them were African American and they were aboard the hospital ship USS Red Rover which had been converted from a captured Confederate vessel. The Red Rover was to play an important medical role at Vicksburg.

What substance is used, in this photo, for the ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back