the Fight Starts... (1 Viewer)

barneywomble

Corporal
With "Panzermyer" given control of the street clearing operation, a couple of MG34's straffe the bombed out buildings...

cheers
Marc

French Village - Germans - 13s.jpgFrench Village - Germans - 14s.jpgFrench Village - Germans - 18s.jpgFrench Village - Germans - 20s.jpgFrench Village - Germans - 21s.jpg

Another exquisite bunch of pic's Marc and now I know what those figures look like up close! With me eyes going bad it's the first time I have seen them this way!!

Tom

Last edited:
The small band of Free French Infantry try desperately to hold back the might of the German attack...

enjoy the pics... :smile2:
Marc

French Village - FFI - 16s.jpgFrench Village - FFI - 19s.jpgFrench Village - FFI - 17s.jpg

Vary nice Marc; these are some beautiful figures. Love that bombed out building. I really like this shot:

attachment.php

Vary nice Marc; these are some beautiful figures. Love that bombed out building. I really like this shot:

attachment.php

Thanks Mate... I have been working on this dio for a month or so and will have heaps more pics over the next week or so...^&grin

cheers
Marc

Nice to see the plan in action!… I`m in awe with the crispness and quality of your pictures! Can you share the trick?

First of all great scene.

This is a point of view that I am sure most will disagree with. Your photography is actually too good. your excellent photo skills are great to see exactly what the "Toy Soldiers" actually look like as opposed to the manufacturers pics, but you can see they are toys.

So here you have an excellent battlefield with toys in it. I saw the same in some of my earlier pics and now I desaturate my pics, turn toy looking faces away from the camera and deliberately add an element of graininess to my pics.

It is all a matter of personal style, but I bet not many think of it this way.

But in the end all excellent work work.

I would like to hear what others think of my take on this.

Alex

This is a point of view that I am sure most will disagree with. Your photography is actually too good. your excellent photo skills are great to see exactly what the "Toy Soldiers" actually look like as opposed to the manufacturers pics, but you can see they are toys.

So here you have an excellent battlefield with toys in it. I saw the same in some of my earlier pics and now I desaturate my pics, turn toy looking faces away from the camera and deliberately add an element of graininess to my pics.

Alex

I really enjoy Marc's photography & displays, as I do yours. I suppose in the end, it all comes do to what you're trying to achieve and then sharing the results with others. The one thing I've found with this hobby is you're always learning something new and interesting and the forum is a wonderful place to share thoughts and idea's. It's what keeps me coming back, plus all the great guys on here^&grin

I find all displays interesting, regardless of manufacturers and don't care if they're glossy, matte or whatever. Viewing and reading the commentary and comments that usually follow, is all part of that experience too.

I'm a complete novice with a camera and have tons to learn about building dio's, so any new technique/s is very helpful. There is however a fine line between constructive criticism and just being plan rude and negative and there are always a few that seem to excel at that.

Alex, I think your post is fine and clearly meant to be helpful. I quite like the 'toylike' aspect of displays, but I equally enjoy yours as well and understand what you're trying to achieve and the message behind them.

I will say this though you lads know how to set a bench-mark for displays, which gives us 'newbie's' something to strive for....:salute::

Toddy

I would add to the discussion these are some very sharp and clear photos. I like the photo of the Panzer meyer set figure the best out of the bunch, while the others are also well done !

It boils down to a personal style I guess, Marc is a professional and excels at what he does, be they photographs or dios . He photographs his own work a certain way... just as he likes it, which is after all is what this hobby is all about ...self enjoyment. He photographs for others differently has he has for our dios...you can see the different approach he used here.
Wayne.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 81
  • jk.jpg
    jk.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 83
Preparation is the key and you see the fine results in his scenes and photos.

Brad

Love the picture with the grenade thrower, full of detail, great shot
guy:smile2:

I really enjoy Marc's photography & displays, as I do yours. I suppose in the end, it all comes do to what you're trying to achieve and then sharing the results with others.

Toddy

You got it......I was just explaining the way I do it and the technique for doing it that way. For those who are interested in that approach.

On the Battleground Art website and forum we freely discuss technique. For those who do not participate there, on occasion I interject some of the technology we discuss there for the members here.

The first reply I get telling me to mind my own business this process will end.

Of course, In the end all enjoy the hobby anyway you see fit. But maybe you are one who is interested in exploring other approaches to the hobby. I study everyones work and reject and take away what I feel is best for me, then I sometimes throw it out there and see what comes back, which expands my understanding of the art and hobby even more.

Last edited:
Nice to see the plan in action!… I`m in awe with the crispness and quality of your pictures! Can you share the trick?

Hi Sentaapua, there is no real trick... the photos are taken with an Canon EOS 7D with either a 50mm lens at 250th/sec at f22 or a 70mm-200mm lens at 125th/sec at f32. the large f-stop ensures maximum detail and sharpness is captured. the lighting is two 500watt studio flashes with 1m x 60cm softboxes. there is no real post processing except the images are resized to 1024px x 683px as it is a great size for the forum members to see all the detail.

cheers
Marc

Alex

Hi Alex, I agree. It can however be extremely hard to separate the "toy" element from diorama photos when the camera "never lies". the post processing can certainly add to the realism effect but in the minds eye it is still 'toy soldiers". I will have a play with the next lot of images I post and see what you think. In the "MEETING" post I did actually slip a couple of de-saturated pics in to see if anyone picked up or said they were dull and no one did... :)

cheers
Marc

Hi Sentaapua, there is no real trick... the photos are taken with an Canon EOS 7D with either a 50mm lens at 250th/sec at f22 or a 70mm-200mm lens at 125th/sec at f32. the large f-stop ensures maximum detail and sharpness is captured. the lighting is two 500watt studio flashes with 1m x 60cm softboxes. there is no real post processing except the images are resized to 1024px x 683px as it is a great size for the forum members to see all the detail.

cheers
Marc

Marc

Now tell him what the camera costs!

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back