The Great Siege of Malta (1 Viewer)

Deitz

Command Sergeant Major
I just received the Malt 01, 02, 10 and 11 figures, and they are great figures. I am looking forward to the future releases.

I also picked up CQ-17 Spanish Conquistador Pikemen. They will fit in quite well as the Spanish troops that helped defend Malta.

I have also compared them to the First Legion Ottoman figures are they match up very well.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of these-an interesting period

I don't collect this range or really have any knowledge of this time period, but what I can say is those are some BEAUTIFUL figures! Wow!!

We did the same: adding JJD Conquest of America Spaniards to JJD Knights of Malta and using FL Turks for opposition. Too bad our pics are awful. You really do these beauties justice!
Never thought we'd have The Great Siege of Malta. Or El Cid, for that matter.
Good for JJD & keep up the good work Bradley!
Pat & Paddy

P.S. - now all we need is Fort St. Elmo...

That's a great collection of figures. The consistent color of the clothing mixed with the armor is really striking.

We did the same: adding JJD Conquest of America Spaniards to JJD Knights of Malta and using FL Turks for opposition. Too bad our pics are awful. You really do these beauties justice!
Pat & Paddy

Fort St Elmo would be a great addition. The Spanish Conquistadors fit the time frame. In the book The Great Sige of Malta by Ernle Bradford he described the Spanish contingent sent by the King Spain looking like conquistadors.

Fort St Elmo would be a great addition. The Spanish Conquistadors fit the time frame. In the book The Great Sige of Malta by Ernle Bradford he described the Spanish contingent sent by the King Spain looking like conquistadors.

We found the same to be true in our limited research. We will but that book to be sure. Thanks for the tip.
We thought the extent of our Great Siege of Malta would be the Osprey book we had. We are so happy to extend this fascinating siege in our collection. We could add 2-4 more Spaniards easily.
We could add more but I have to wonder: Were there any Crossbow on the Maltese side? I have found no evidence of such so far.
Also remember JJD is doing Turks. So there will be plenty of opposition (although we may cheap out and just use our 10 Frontline guys).
Glad so many people love this field as much as we do.
Pat & Paddy

Pat & Paddy

Yeah, I had the ambition to create some of the Fort St Elmo, but with young kids just cannot find the time.

The other "problem" is Valette wasn't in Elmo. Though, you could a shot of him witnessing the fight there and saying, "“What could be more fitting for a member of the Order of Saint John than to lay down his life in defense of the Faith? The defenders of Saint Elmo have earned a
martyr’s crown and will reap a martyr’s reward!”

or "Your Illustrious Highness (knights in St Elmo to Valette)...
Since we can no longer efficiently carry out our duties of our order, we are determined, if your highness does not send us boats tonight so that we can withdraw, to sally forth and die as knights should. Do not send further reinforcements, since they are no more than dead men. This is the most determined resolution of all whose signatures your most illustrious highness can read below."

or "Tell your master that this is the only territory I will give him. There lies the land he may have for his own, provided only that he fills it with the bodies of his janissaries."

We found the same to be true in our limited research. We will but that book to be sure. Thanks for the tip.
We thought the extent of our Great Siege of Malta would be the Osprey book we had. We are so happy to extend this fascinating siege in our collection. We could add 2-4 more Spaniards easily.
We could add more but I have to wonder: Were there any Crossbow on the Maltese side? I have found no evidence of such so far.
Also remember JJD is doing Turks. So there will be plenty of opposition (although we may cheap out and just use our 10 Frontline guys).
Pat & Paddy

Yes, crossbows were still in use. There are multiple examples of 16th century crossbows in the Heritage Malta Museum. I cannot remember if they are replicas, representative, or actually from the Siege. But they are there.

I have several of JJDs and FL crossbowmen in my little collection. You can also use the battle of Pavia figures. Some are too obviously Landsknechts or Swiss, but I have a few that work.

These pictures are old and don't have all of the "extra" FL and JJD figures in it:

Some of the Spanish Tercio figures are probably a bit out of place form a fashion perspective

In my updated collection I have them fighting over the Landsknecht cannon.

I did find a couple of pictures after adding the cannon:

Last edited:
Pat & Paddy

In one of the books I read, it stated that crossbows were used toward the end when ammunition was running short and the rain was making the ammunition damp.

Additional books that I have read:

Empires of the Seas - Roger Crowley
The Great Siege of Malta - Bruce Ware Allen
The Siege of Malta 1565 - Francisco Balbi Di Correggio (A 1st hand account of the Siege)

In one of the books I read, it stated that crossbows were used toward the end when ammunition was running short and the rain was making the ammunition damp.

Additional books that I have read:

Empires of the Seas - Roger Crowley
The Great Siege of Malta - Bruce Ware Allen
The Siege of Malta 1565 - Francisco Balbi Di Correggio (A 1st hand account of the Siege)

Is this Ernle's translation? The Siege of Malta 1565 - Francisco Balbi Di Correggio (A 1st hand account of the Siege)

I also have a copy of HJA Sire's The Knights of Malta. It has some great sections on fortress and the Hospitaller's navy.

Yeah, I had the ambition to create some of the Fort St Elmo, but with young kids just cannot find the time.

The other "problem" is Valette wasn't in Elmo. Though, you could a shot of him witnessing the fight there and saying, "“What could be more fitting for a member of the Order of Saint John than to lay down his life in defense of the Faith? The defenders of Saint Elmo have earned a
martyr’s crown and will reap a martyr’s reward!”

or "Your Illustrious Highness (knights in St Elmo to Valette)...
Since we can no longer efficiently carry out our duties of our order, we are determined, if your highness does not send us boats tonight so that we can withdraw, to sally forth and die as knights should. Do not send further reinforcements, since they are no more than dead men. This is the most determined resolution of all whose signatures your most illustrious highness can read below."

or "Tell your master that this is the only territory I will give him. There lies the land he may have for his own, provided only that he fills it with the bodies of his janissaries."

Oh, yeah. Thanks for the the fun details. We are sometimes too loose with accuracy in favor of just plain fun.
Love your dio! FL looks great with both sides - great Landsknechts and lovely cannon. We decided that a fort may not be as crucial to a display as a breach in a wall.
Pat & Paddy

Beautiful figures. I love your scene, nailed it. I love this period but was reluctant to collect something new.
i think like others have stated. I am collecting a few figures from the range, keeping it small and not going to vreate a firtress type dio.

Is this Ernle's translation? The Siege of Malta 1565 - Francisco Balbi Di Correggio (A 1st hand account of the Siege)

I also have a copy of HJA Sire's The Knights of Malta. It has some great sections on fortress and the Hospitaller's navy.

Yes it is the Ernle Bradford translation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back