The Legion Through Time (1 Viewer)

MCKENNA77

Staff Sergeant
Hola Dudes:

As I have been fortunate enough to have Ana make me a few older Beau Geste FFL sets I decided to make a different type of diorama. Don't get me wrong, ground works and a structure with some toy soldiers usually looks fantastic. This time, I just wanted to step out of that "normal" groove.

While on my trip to France last year I discovered that the Legion makes wine through its Institution of Invalids. If my memory serves me correct, this institution was created after the war with the Viet Minh in the 1950's as the Legion had a crushing high casualty rate. You can find more information here:

https://www.legion-boutique.com/

The following is an expert from the above listed web site:

Since its establishment, the Foreign Legion has always been concerned about the fate of former legionnaires and the painful fate of the wounded, disabled or sick. Sometimes at odds with their country of origin or their families, the departure of the legionaries of the Foreign Legion "homeland" in which they had both given their heroic acts and sacrifices testify, was sometimes seen as a real tear.

Respecting the immutable principle it set to "never give up his, nor in battle, or in life," the Foreign Legion has set of devices and ways she tries to keep to meet their demands. The Institution of the Invalids of the Foreign Legion (IILE) is. The welcome given to them, care that are provided and reintegration activities that are exempt are preserving the dignity of these old servants often delaying geriatric addiction. This "house" unique is an original answer.

The wine they sell there is actually pretty good and very reasonably priced. The shipping to get it sent to the US, not so reasonable. But when you need dio material and booze, what is a collector to do?

So you start with a foam board and cut it with a skill saw to the size needed
Resized952018050195131855.jpg

Then you set your over to 200 degrees for 15 mintues to get wine label off. A thin bladed pocket knife works best for extraction

Resized952018050195153801.jpg

Then you add the old photo's, postcards and other paper militaria. I found everything but the wine labels on Ebay. I attached all this with rubber cement. Just be advised that stuff is messy as all get out. Dont apply over whatever it is your working on and keep in mind to go light on applying on the back of paper depending on how thick it is as you'll get never leaving wet spots.
Resized952018050295150034.jpg

Resized952018050295150039.jpg

Then just add toy soliders. I through in a few wine corks and a Legion of Merit medal to round it off
Resized952018050295151343.jpg

Very unique and innovative way to display the legion.

Nice collection and brilliantly displayed. Thanks for sharing.

Brendan

I know I am late to comment, but very nice collection. I just "discovered" the Beau Geste figures, and really like the French Foreign Legion sets.

I agree!
If you like the French Foreign Legion, check the group here in the forum called French Foreign Legion, some great ideas there.....
Cheers
A_C

I know I am late to comment, but very nice collection. I just "discovered" the Beau Geste figures, and really like the French Foreign Legion sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back