The shrink is nuts (2 Viewers)

I think sayings like this have to be taken with a pinch of salt and while they may not be the reason for you they could well be for someone else. If you think about it you do have control over your toy soldier collection, you decide how much you have, where you put them, what type of environment they are displayed in, what type of armies you have and who they will fight next. Do you have control over the gas bill, the mortgage, the weather, gas prices etc..... no.

Secondly people may well collect because they were deprived as a child, and now they have the funds to collect those items they could never have as a child.

Again just because they don't apply to you doesn't mean they should be dismissed as reasons for collecting.

I think the whole "control or not having control in your life" issue is barking up the wrong tree. Ultimately, the hobby is an outgrowth of an interest in military history. Therefore, perhaps the better question to ask is 'why do we have an interest in military history?' I've thought a lot about why I have this interest. WWII is my favorite topic in military history and that's easier to understand. It's simply an amazing story with interesting characters, locations and vehicles. Everybody loves a good story. We understand the popularity of Star Wars. WWII is a lot like Star Wars and we all understand the popularity of that. So, I think to myself, why don't more people like military history. My guess is that people like myself are simply more able to remove the horror of war, in our minds, and just appreciate an amazing story.

I think the whole "control or not having control in your life" issue is barking up the wrong tree. Ultimately, the hobby is an outgrowth of an interest in military history. Therefore, perhaps the better question to ask is 'why do we have an interest in military history?' I've thought a lot about why I have this interest. WWII is my favorite topic in military history and that's easier to understand. It's simply an amazing story with interesting characters, locations and vehicles. Everybody loves a good story. We understand the popularity of Star Wars. WWII is a lot like Star Wars and we all understand the popularity of that. So, I think to myself, why don't more people like military history. My guess is that people like myself are simply more able to remove the horror of war, in our minds, and just appreciate an amazing story.

Certainly a love of military history has something to do with it. I think it goes even deeper though. I have never been in the military, I don't like guns (except as a collectible), and I generally think war should be the last resort. Why do I like military history then? I think you touched on it quite well when talking about all the amazing things that make up war. Most of us like drama, and really is there anything much more dramatic than war? Horrible, yes, but very dramatic. You have life and death, technological advances, sometimes exotic locations. For those who experienced war or were in the military, there are probably a few different reasons, but I am speaking of the rest of us. It kind of bugs me for example when I hear people say the Civil War is boring or that people from the South seem to make up most of those with an interest in it. Honestly, once you start reading about, it is amazing to learn about all of its stories and its effects on the world we live in today. The same can be said for WWII, even more so.

I think it also takes a collector mentality though. I have collected everything from arrowheads to CW artifacts to coins to stamps to sports memorabilia, along with the toy soldiers. It is a sickness, but often a good one. The thing is, I am not sure it makes me feel more in control. I would feel more in control if I saved more of that money for retirement rather than spend it on hobbies.

Hi..i was thinking too at Andy's editorial , and crisis or not i'm in the hobby from this year and will be forever 'cause i think it's part of me..i've never been too in the military but i'm part of a military heritage family, my father was a general in the Guardia di Finanza (it's a military corp with tasks of patroling the border and fighting drug smugglers etc., reputedly it was the G.D.F. to shoot the first bullets in WWI for Italy) and the uncle of my father was Silver Medal in the WWI (he died assaulting an Austro Hungarian trench in the 6th Isonzo's Battle aug. 1916), and many more examples (Avitabile),so i always admired the military ethos and history , but i think too that to better appreciate history i must see it in 3d (someone said this in another Collector magazine), so this is ,i think, my best alibi for being a toy soldiers collector , but nonetheless i admire the sculpt , the colors , the work of art,i collect many books of military art and my osprey books too are an example of this..

Certainly a love of military history has something to do with it. I think it goes even deeper though. I have never been in the military, I don't like guns (except as a collectible), and I generally think war should be the last resort. Why do I like military history then? I think you touched on it quite well when talking about all the amazing things that make up war. Most of us like drama, and really is there anything much more dramatic than war? Horrible, yes, but very dramatic. You have life and death, technological advances, sometimes exotic locations. For those who experienced war or were in the military, there are probably a few different reasons, but I am speaking of the rest of us. It kind of bugs me for example when I hear people say the Civil War is boring or that people from the South seem to make up most of those with an interest in it. Honestly, once you start reading about, it is amazing to learn about all of its stories and its effects on the world we live in today. The same can be said for WWII, even more so.

I think it also takes a collector mentality though. I have collected everything from arrowheads to CW artifacts to coins to stamps to sports memorabilia, along with the toy soldiers. It is a sickness, but often a good one. The thing is, I am not sure it makes me feel more in control. I would feel more in control if I saved more of that money for retirement rather than spend it on hobbies.

Hi 5th Wisconsin,

I appreciate you raising the more penetrating question: Why do I like military history? Similar to yourself, I will not own a gun, I have never served in the military, I believe war should always be the last resort, and I detest violence. So, from where does my interest in military history emerge? It is a question that has perplexed me for years. While I have not reached a definite conclusion for myself, I think I have identified some clues. These clues are as follows:

1. I grew up during the post WWII years. During that time, there were numerous war movies, newsreels, comic books, etc. that communicated war as an exciting and dramatic activity. And,...as you say, we love drama.

2. Many of the toys available at the time included toy soldiers, play sets, toy weapons, and military strategy games. I played with them all.

3. I enjoyed model building and I always chose military models to build.

4. I personally knew WW II veterans. Knowing them made me want to learn more about their experience.

5. I have always enjoyed reading and I began to read military history at an early age. Learning military history lead to additional questions and curiosity that resulted in even more reading.

6. Relatives, especially my grandfather, knew of my interest and they reinforced it by presenting me with toy soldier gifts at Christmas and on my birthday.

As you can see, my interest in military history and toy soldiers has roots in early childhood. However, the question remains: Why did I choose military history and toy soldiers for my hobby when there were many other options available to me? The activities and experiences I have listed above were not the only events in which I participated. My childhood included being surrounded by wonderful music. Why have I not made music my hobby? Many of my family members possessed a deep interest and appreciation of sports. Why am I not a rabid sports fan? Many members of my family and certainly most of my friends enjoyed hunting and fishing. Why do I possess no interest in such activities?

In short, while I may have identified some clues regarding the roots of my hobby interest, I still am uncertain why I have chosen this hobby over many other possible ones. Perhaps my self inquiry is similar to my reading. The more I engage in it, the more questions I experience.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat ;)

I also grew up right after wwll and was interested in history and saw the movies and many family veterans. I always was interested in the military models and figures. I served in the military but I do not hunt. My advisor Detective Monk told me to keep my figures lined up perfectly.:D Leadmen

In the latest Collector, Andy quotes a psychologist who says people enjoy collecting toy soldiers basically because it gives us a feeling of control that we lack in our lives. That’s about as crazy as saying it’s because we had a deprived childhood. Here are a few real reasons people like to collect toy soldiers, in my opinion anyway.

1. We like the subject matter of military history and toy soldiers lets us “view” (in 3D) the history we enjoy reading about.
2. People like miniatures in general, whether it’s a model train layout, model ships, cars or dolls.
3. Creating dioramas is an exercise in creativity.
4. It’s fun to collect things, even if its something as boring as stamps; and a 1/30 scale Tiger Tank from the Battle of the Bulge is way cooler than any stamp.

I must admit I have had my suspicions about this being at least some of my draw to the collecting of TS. It isn't the whole story, but I think it is a portion of the big picture. How embarassing...:eek:

MD

I appreciate you raising the more penetrating question: Why do I like military history? Similar to yourself, I will not own a gun, I have never served in the military, I believe war should always be the last resort, and I detest violence. So, from where does my interest in military history emerge? It is a question that has perplexed me for years. While I have not reached a definite conclusion for myself, I think I have identified some clues. These clues are as follows:

I am one like you, except for the part about guns. I own a bunch of guns, even though I don't hunt. Alot are old military guns, like a Mosin-Nagant Sniper Rifle, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Mauser K98 with Nazi markings, etc. I don't shoot them, even though I have a ton of ammo (that is collectible too).

I guess I collect the guns for the same reason as the toy soldiers. War is fascinating.

I am not saying it isn't horrible and gruesome as well. Of course it is.

But anything that is life or death makes for a great drama, and that aspect is just the beginning of what war is.

So I guess something can be both terrible and fascinating at the same time.

It's just innate human contradiction.

So I guess that's why I own multiple little Hitlers and stuff.

Agree 100%

As you can see, my interest in military history and toy soldiers has roots in early childhood.

Excellent point!! Some things stick and some don't, but our childhoods can have a tremendous influence. For me, the things that stuck from childhood were military history (used to sit in class in the 2nd grade and draw flags and such things), reading, and sports. We used to play war during recess even. When I grew up in the 60s and 70s there were so many WWII movies and lots of books following the 100th anniversary of the Civil War. My grandfather was in WWII (Phillipines), although he rarely talked about it; I have his uniform now. My great grandmother was alive for a while; her father was in the Civil War, and she once told me she would have given me his sword if someone else didn't already have it (still drooling over that one). I used to set up forts opposite one another and throw things at all the plastic army guys - last one with somebody standing won. Once I captured a rhinoceros beetle and loosed it like a monster on the soldiers. Good memories.

It also reminds me of when I was in grad school, and a professor asked why I was very interested in studying the Holocaust, since I had no personal connections to it. I wasn't sure how to answer that one. I think extremes of human behavior are fascinating to a lot of us, even if we detest the behavior. The professor just happened to be an expert on the SS, and he has since written studies on the nature of the men who made up that organization (so I think we shared some of that interest in human nature).

I grew up loving toy soldiers and playing with them and also loved the war movies, not because I love to see death and destruction but wanting to be like the heroes of the movies.I think Errol Flynn played a large part of it as I just loved his movies.John Wayne too.I also love collecting things,baseball cards,comic books,Star Trek items (I am a Trekker,not a Trekkie,they wear the ears),books,I collected Pirates of the Caribbean items for a couple years as I loved the movies.I love to see movies and read books about time periods before I was born.I went to Gettysburg about 15 years ago and it felt like a special place.I went to a museum there and saw Civil War dioramas and thought they were the neatest thing, much better than any 2D painting.So I think my interest stems from what came before me and unfortunately wars are the most striking events that shaped human history.
Mark

In the latest Collector, Andy quotes a psychologist who says people enjoy collecting toy soldiers basically because it gives us a feeling of control that we lack in our lives. That’s about as crazy as saying it’s because we had a deprived childhood. Here are a few real reasons people like to collect toy soldiers, in my opinion anyway.

1. We like the subject matter of military history and toy soldiers lets us “view” (in 3D) the history we enjoy reading about.
2. People like miniatures in general, whether it’s a model train layout, model ships, cars or dolls.
3. Creating dioramas is an exercise in creativity.
4. It’s fun to collect things, even if its something as boring as stamps; and a 1/30 scale Tiger Tank from the Battle of the Bulge is way cooler than any stamp.

I collect them so I can bring them in the backyard.....set them up and drop dirt bombs on them.....:D.......Psychology??? Isn't that one of those pseudo sciences......:D

Kurt

Anybody that collects anything to do with Star Wars has to be a complete and utter loon in my opinion!.......................what do you think Chewie?? uurrggghheewwww He agrees as well! :D

Tony 'i am your father' Neville

I collect Toy Soldiers because I have a deep interest in military history.So I will be collecting has long has I can.

I collect them so I can bring them in the backyard.....set them up and drop dirt bombs on them.....:D.......Psychology??? Isn't that one of those pseudo sciences......:D
LOL:D:D:D Yes like the other "ologies" and some would say "medical science" to date.:eek::D

I am tired of people picking on me because I have greasy hair, pimples and wear a raincoat.

Psychology plays a role, of course, as does psychiatry, in healing very real illnesses of the mind. On the other hand, there's entirely too much navel-gazing that goes on, especially in the generations born after the war. Too much analysis, not enough action.

Here's some self-analysis: I like those periods in the past where people did things, rather than sit and discuss them to death.

Prost!
Brad

EXCELLENT POST>>>>>>TOO much analysis only results "Talk" which is just that.....

Great post, to me this sums it all. Psichology at its best, I really didn't think about it but I do feel this way. Also besides the historical part I really like nicely done figures ( they might be civilians, check Imperial's Town and Around or K&C's Streets of Hong Kong ) and beautiful, colorful uniforms, or even camo, there is some beauty in some camo...:D

Cheers,
Paulo

Hi 5th Wisconsin,

1. I grew up during the post WWII years. During that time, there were numerous war movies, newsreels, comic books, etc. that communicated war as an exciting and dramatic activity. And,...as you say, we love drama.

2. Many of the toys available at the time included toy soldiers, play sets, toy weapons, and military strategy games. I played with them all.

3. I enjoyed model building and I always chose military models to build.

4. I personally knew WW II veterans. Knowing them made me want to learn more about their experience.

5. I have always enjoyed reading and I began to read military history at an early age. Learning military history lead to additional questions and curiosity that resulted in even more reading.

6. Relatives, especially my grandfather, knew of my interest and they reinforced it by presenting me with toy soldier gifts at Christmas and on my birthday.

As you can see, my interest in military history and toy soldiers has roots in early childhood. However, the question remains: Why did I choose military history and toy soldiers for my hobby when there were many other options available to me? The activities and experiences I have listed above were not the only events in which I participated. My childhood included being surrounded by wonderful music. Why have I not made music my hobby? Many of my family members possessed a deep interest and appreciation of sports. Why am I not a rabid sports fan? Many members of my family and certainly most of my friends enjoyed hunting and fishing. Why do I possess no interest in such activities?

In short, while I may have identified some clues regarding the roots of my hobby interest, I still am uncertain why I have chosen this hobby over many other possible ones. Perhaps my self inquiry is similar to my reading. The more I engage in it, the more questions I experience.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat ;)

Same here Pat but on explanation I find it in my previous post:).

Paulo

If I was in control I'd have a million toy soldiers from all makes and historical periods, something like a giant museum:D... But I am not in control:(...

Paulo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back