The Ten Best War Movies of All Times (2 Viewers)

I don't know if anyone else would call this a war movie, but technically, it is, so here goes: Not just the best war movie of all time, but in my humble opinion the best movie of all time: Casablanca. Humphrey Bogart as Rick. Claude Raines as Louie. Peter Lorre's most famous line: "you must help me Rick!" Sidney Greenstreet. That amazing scene where Paul Henreid/Victor Lazlo gets the band to play Le Marsailles (I still get goose bumps thinking about it - why do the French, of all countries, have such an inspiring national anthem?). And of course, the best last line in a movie ever . . .

But speaking of Humphrey Bogart, the original 'Sahara' is another great War Movie I hadn't even thought about. And the remake with Jim Belushi was also not half bad. Has anybody mentioned the Devils Brigade?

Here's a dark horse for you: "Hanover Street" with Harrison Ford as a B17 Pilot? Its as much a romantic movie as a war movie, but I still think its one of his best performances.

Casablanca is great. How about "The Best Years Of Our Lives" dealing with the aftermath of the war? I loved "The Devil's Brigade" when I was a kid.

Gentle Friends,

Formulating a list of my ten favorite war movies is nearly impossible for me. I see many, many great movies on the lists that have already been posted. However, I am surprised that two movies I have greatly enjoyed have not even been mentioned. Therefore, I submit these two movies for your consideration:

Memphis Belle

Letters from Iwo Jima

What do you think of these two movies?

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Another one that hasn't been mention which I thought was very good is Downfall.

The fighting 69th great flick with James Cagney and is it Hugh O'Brian? Mike.

James Cagney and ( Gilligans Island )the skipper's dad Alan Hale, who was a regular character actor of that film era......Michael

Gentle Friends,

Formulating a list of my ten favorite war movies is nearly impossible for me. I see many, many great movies on the lists that have already been posted. However, I am surprised that two movies I have greatly enjoyed have not even been mentioned. Therefore, I submit these two movies for your consideration:

Memphis Belle

Letters from Iwo Jima

What do you think of these two movies?

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Pat, I have watched Memphis Belle some 15 times and it is a favorite. For me, it is almost impossible for me to settle on a top 10. I made an attempt, but had to leave out so many classics.......Kingdom of Heaven, Died with their Boots On ( always wondered why the titled it that way, when historians ,even then, knew different )...Von Ryans Express, Sahara, etc
Michael

1. A Bridge Too Far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

2. The last Drop (Some of you may not have seen this, it was a movie about Operation Market Garden, where a group of British Paras that had to get a special operationd Para to a certain point)

3. Longest Day

4. Black Hawk Down

5. Zulu

6. The Guns of Navarone

7. Patton

8. Sahara

9. Platoon

10. Wind Talkers

I actually don't think I've really thought about this, apart from the First and second ones!!!!!:eek::D

Have any of you seen that new movie that was a big hit in America called 'Days of Glory'?:confused:??It was ment to be coming to UK last night, and I was going to go and see it with my parents yesterday night, but when I looked for showing times, I couldn't find it!!!!:eek:

I just thought of a few more we missed, PT109. Das Boat, The Patriot, The enemy below, She wore a Yellow Ribbon, there are so many, and I can see we are all on the same page with what we watch. Mike.

I just thought of a few more we missed, PT109. Das Boat, The Patriot, The enemy below, She wore a Yellow Ribbon, there are so many, and I can see we are all on the same page with what we watch. Mike.

I am sorry, but the Patriot was unwatchable for me, from a reasonably historical / accurate point of view. The US tanks as Tigers in Battle of Bulge, the Winchesters being used by cavalry troopers in any grade B 1960's western, even the fake Tiger used in Bridge Too Far ,usually give me eyesore and headache. And do not get me started about cavalry sabers at the Little Bighorn ( Died with Their Boots On ). Gary Owen being played non stop through the movie ,made up for that accuracy sin.........Michael

I certainly agree with Pat that Memphis Belle is a fantastic movie that deserves consideration. I, however, have not yet seen Flags of Our Fathers, so cannot comment.

A Bridge Too Far
Saving Private Ryan
Attack Force Z
Enemy At The Gates
The Wild Geese
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
We Were Soldiers
Bravo Two Zero
The Lost Battalion

Some of my favorites....

A Bridge Too Far
Saving Private Ryan
Attack Force Z
Enemy At The Gates
The Wild Geese
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
We Were Soldiers
Bravo Two Zero
The Lost Battalion

Some of my favorites....

I had totally forgotten about Attack Force Z. That's the one with the commandos in the boats raiding an island full of Japanese, right?

I had also forgotten the Wild Geese. That's the mercenaries in Africa with Michael Caine, right?

Both are great choices!

Saving Private Ryan was voted the best war movie ever!!!!! But I don''t see why, I thought it was very fake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't think it wasn't a brilliant movie, but I still like it!!!!What do you think???????

As far as ripping movies for not being totally accurate, when I was watching these flicks, I was watching them for entertainment value. I still don't get hung up on things like weapons and uniform colors. The battle scenes and the storyline are what keep us watching. The History Channel can explain every motion picture defect and historical inaccuracy and does. There will never be a movie made that everyone will agree is perfect. The opening beach landing scene in SPR, is about as real as I could ever imagine. Mike.

I grew up on war movies and westerns so holding the list down is hard. Instead I tend to use multiple sub-lists:

Ground Combat- WW2:
Band Of Brothers (a true event)
Saving Private Ryan (not perfect, but a GREAT MOVIE!)
Battleground (wonderful movie for its time)
The Tanks Are Coming (hokey story but REAL SHERMANS!)
A Bridge Too Far
Guadalcanal Diary
The Story Of GI Joe
Sands Of Iwo Jima
Battle of the Bulge (historical crap but I love watching the tanks!)
The Bridge At Remagen

Ground Combat - post WW2:
We Were Soldiers
Hamburger Hill
Black Hawk Down
Target Zero (goofy story but a Sherman tank as a lead character)

Ground Combat - pre WW2:
Gettysburg
Rough Riders
The Lost Battalion
Zulu
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Any of the Sharpe series

Naval Combat:
Sink The Bismarck
The Enemy Below
The Caine Mutiny
Away All Boats
Captain Horatio Hornblower (the Gregory Peck version)
Das Boot
Task Force
Action In The North Atlantic
Master and Commander
Tora Tora Tora

Air Combat:
Fighter Squadron
Flight of the Intruder
The War Lover
Twelve O'Clock High
The Blue Max
Air Force
Strategic Air Command
Command Decision
The Battle of Britain
Memphis Belle

War-Themed:
Kelly's Heroes (nice Shermans and such)
A Time to Love and a Time to Die
Casablanca
Best Years of Our Lives

Last edited:
Saving private Ryan I 'll agree the story is to Hollywood and some of the lines and stuff aren't that great but as far as battle scenes and cinematography go, it is second to none. I really like when Trumpets fade and the seige of Firebase Gloria to. The Green Berets is another one of my favorites.

Attack Force Z ---- Mel Gibson
The Wild Geese ----- Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Roger Moore....just a few.

Great Movies.

Let's keep it light and not critical guys. I've ask you for your top ten and I'm currently keeping tabs to determine which movie has appeared the most in the top ten ending tomorrow at the same time I started the thread your first 10 will count only and please keep the thread going after I post my results.

Some others you've missed but they might have been before your times
The Fighting Seabees
The Flying Tigers
Back to Batan
The Fighting Sullivans

Let's keep it fun.......The Lt.

Last edited:
I grew up on war movies and westerns so holding the list down is hard. Instead I tend to use multiple sub-lists:

Ground Combat- WW2:
Band Of Brothers (a true event)
Saving Private Ryan (not perfect, but a GREAT MOVIE!)
Battleground (wonderful movie for its time)
The Tanks Are Coming (hokey story but REAL SHERMANS!)
A Bridge Too Far
Guadalcanal Diary
The Story Of GI Joe
Sands Of Iwo Jima
Battle of the Bulge (historical crap but I love watching the tanks!)
The Bridge At Remagen

Ground Combat - post WW2:
We Were Soldiers
Hamburger Hill
Black Hawk Down
Target Zero (goofy story but a Sherman tank as a lead character)

Ground Combat - pre WW2:
Gettysburg
Rough Riders
The Lost Battalion
Zulu
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Any of the Sharpe series

Naval Combat:
Sink The Bismarck
The Enemy Below
The Caine Mutiny
Away All Boats
Captain Horatio Hornblower (the Gregory Peck version)
Das Boot
Task Force
Action In The North Atlantic
Master and Commander
Tora Tora Tora

Air Combat:
Fighter Squadron
Flight of the Intruder
The War Lover
Twelve O'Clock High
The Blue Max
Air Force
Strategic Air Command
Command Decision
The Battle of Britain
Memphis Belle

War-Themed:
Kelly's Heroes (nice Shermans and such)
A Time to Love and a Time to Die
Casablanca
Best Years of Our Lives

Hey Binder, any time you want to hold a film festival, I'm in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back