'The Troubles' Series? (1 Viewer)

arnhem44mad

1st Lieutenant
How about a series depicting 'The Troubles' in Ireland and Northern Ireland?

Would be an interesting series for sure; barricades, Humber pigs, soldiers with riot gear, civilians throwing bottles and bricks. Paras and Army, some opposition.

Woth the recent Falklands series announcement it opens the door for future films too!

Scott

Would certainly be a controversial range to do and not a range that would attract a huge lot of collectors or be commercial enough I'd had thought Scott,
Obviously if it appeals to Andy he might try a few stand alone pieces, perhaps that might appeal to those who served in NI.

Least that's my thoughts on it, of course I could be totally wrong !

Steve

I think the Easter Rebellion would be an interesting one. Although I haven’t read that much about the Rebellion, Amazon has some excellent documentaries. Easter 1916, an Irish production, is quite good and looks at several persons from the Irish side such as Tom Clarke.

There is also a PBS production narrated by Liam Neeson called The Irish Rebellion. Unfortunately, it’s no longer on Amazon.

There is also a show called Rebellion. Season 1 is on Amazon, Season 2 on Netflix. I think it’s a mix of fact and fiction. Quite entertaining.

Last edited:
I think the Easter Rebellion would be an interesting one. Although I haven’t read that much about the Rebellion, Amazon has some excellent documentaries. Easter 1916, an Irish production, is quite good and looks at several persons from the Irish side such as Tom Clarke.

There is also a PBS production narrated by Liam Neeson called The Irish Rebellion. Unfortunately, it’s no longer on Amazon.

There is also a show called Rebellion. Season 1 is on Amazon, Season 2 on Netflix. I think it’s a mix of fact and fiction. Quite entertaining.

Have seen some and very one sided, tended to be aimed at the US audiences, where there is kind of a mythology about being Irish and they play on that i find. Irish history of that time is too complex for 'entertainment', which these programmes tend to do, instead of inform.

On a NI series - modern[ish] troubles, i think that would be terrible, no interest as not really a military conflict such as in the concept of toy soldiers, it was a dirty brutal conflict, i was there twice in the 1980s, South Armagh. I can see no interpretation of any soldier, policeman, vehicle, civilian, terrorist [whatever religion/side], etc that would add value to our hobby. I think it also cause some adverse publicity for whoever makes it.

Then again, i am not interested in the Falklands War stuff, where I also served, or the Gulf War, the first, not the sequel.

All companies are seeking new eras, conflicts etc, but i think this is one to give a miss.

One range i have always thought may go well is a ceremonial memorial range. Ceremonial figures at places such as the Centaph in London, Arlington Tomb of the Unknown soldier, Vietnam Wall Memorial in Washington [beautiful and thought provoking place]. Lots of opportunities for ceremonial figures and civilians.

Have seen some and very one sided, tended to be aimed at the US audiences, where there is kind of a mythology about being Irish and they play on that i find. Irish history of that time is too complex for 'entertainment', which these programmes tend to do, instead of inform.

Have you seen Easter 1916, about the seven signatories to the Proclamation of the Irish Republic. It’s also known as 1916 Seachter Na Casca. It was quite informative and made for Irish audiences (it’s partially in Gaelic) and included numerous historians talking about each man and the Irish Rebellion. Obviously it’s told from the Irish perspective. I’d be interested in documentaries from the English perspective as there are always two sides to every story.

From a US perspective, I've got to "bummer"! And please, don't anyone suggest a series of the Afghanistan "withdrawal"!

Have you seen Easter 1916, about the seven signatories to the Proclamation of the Irish Republic. It’s also known as 1916 Seachter Na Casca. It was quite informative and made for Irish audiences (it’s partially in Gaelic) and included numerous historians talking about each man and the Irish Rebellion. Obviously it’s told from the Irish perspective. I’d be interested in documentaries from the English perspective as there are always two sides to every story.

Cheers, I agree, but on that time i think there were many sides to that story, many dimentional, the signatories, the British, the different Christian groups and finally those in the IRA that disagreed with the signing of the agreement and the time in history. The personification of the time for me, is Denis "Sonny" O'Neill, who is the most likely to have killed Michael Collins at the ambush. Everything was so mixed up a simple answer/conclusion is not possible. There are no British documentries on it, would not be politically correct in todays world. The same as there has been a lot of legal proceedings against ex-British troops for potential atrocities during the Troubles, which Sinn Fein have been heavily involved in pushing, but when it comes to attrocities by the IRA and their 'soldiers' being investigated they are very quiet, such as the murder of Nick Spanos and Stephen Melrose.

It makes me smile when people talk of a united Ireland, with little understanding. Which is shown when people say they want to unite Ireland AGAIN. To which i ask, "Do you mean under British rule?" As that was the only time there was single unified Ireland under one government, but i don't think that is what they mean.

It is up to the people that live there to decide, not people from Ireland, with those in NI deciding whether or not to stay in the UK, but i think first the people who live in Ireland have to be given the decision on whether or not they want to be unified, if they don't want too then a vote by the people in NI is irrelevant. People think it is a foregone conclusion they want too, but as with any family, mine and probably yours, there are relatives you love, but you would not want to live under the same roof..... The decision may also be interesting when they have to take on their debt and costs, currently the NI deficit between income and expenditure is around £10 Billion annually [without COVID] and is subsidised by the UK. NI has been in deficit every year since 1966, so this is set to continue for a long time. Plus will the united Ireland pay Great Britain the percentage of the UK deficit that NI will have to take with them?

Anyway back to Toy Soldiers.

From a US perspective, I've got to "bummer"! And please, don't anyone suggest a series of the Afghanistan "withdrawal"!

Or a January 6th 2021 Capital series, plenty of scope there. You could do a 2 stage version and also do the 1st Battalion 44th East Essex Regiment, who in 1814 visited the Capital and White House. Look out for any dodgy looking Brits hanging about around the White House on Tuesday this week.

This is only friendly banter..............

Having grown up and gone to school there in the late 70s and 80s, I cant imagine any interest whatsoever from a toy soldier buying market.

kids with stones, teenagers lighting petrol bombs, soldiers performing a Policing role for which they were untrained and ill equipped?

Why on earth would anyone want to display that on their shelves?

I’ll stick to WW2 8th Army & Afrika Korps.

I think it would be an interesting series and I would certainly support it.

Lots of interesting moral dilemmas all round.

Maybe you’d like to see a vignette of a few balaclava’d chaps placing bombs into bins so as to kill and maim pregnant women?

I cannot think of a worse period to produce models for - 'Kneecapping' and punishment beatings vignettes anybody?

Not much difference to Vietnam and most other conflicts. All conflicts have elements of torture and terrorist actions, no need to include sets based on them imo.

Not much difference to Vietnam and most other conflicts. All conflicts have elements of torture and terrorist actions, no need to include sets based on them imo.

The ‘Pro’s and Con’s’ of such a series have already been said here…Suffice to say that, in the present circumstances,
I’ve got more than enough current and future projects on my plate to keep K&C and yours well and truly busy for the foreseeable future…

However, as I’ve often learned, never say never!
All the best,
Andy.

Maybe you’d like to see a vignette of a few balaclava’d chaps placing bombs into bins so as to kill and maim pregnant women?

Are you for real?

There are atrocities in every war. To turn one's nose up at one war range while collecting another is extremely hypocritical.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back