Third new word game (3 Viewers)

Battle of St Jacob, 26 May 1444, a Swiss army attacked a French army led by the Dauphin that outnumbered them fifteen to one, broke the centre of the army, and while they were wiped out, inflicted so much damage on the French army that the Dauphin was forced to retreat and leave the Swiss alone.

cold harbor
We have made our way through our share of double consonants, like this one and could this one as well. However, I think they break the flow and detract from being able to concentrate on our little battle / military theme. So, I think it is time for a change. The new rule is as follows:
1) USE THE 3rd and 4th letters as the first two letters of the new word as before UNLESS both the 3rd and 4th letters are consonants. Example: fright = ig

2) IF the 3rd and 4th letters are consonants, replace the 4th letter with the next vowel in the word or if two words, the next word. Example: bother = te (t + the first vowel following in the word e; harbour = ro (r + the first vowel following in the word o), Lost Valley = sa (s + the next vowel following in the two words: a)
3) If there is no next vowel in the word, replace the 4th letter with the first vowel in the alphabet after the 4th letter. Example: both = ti (t + the first vowel of the alphabet following h: i), hill = lo (l + the first vowel in the alphabet following the second l: o)

As before, battles or military items are a bonus.

Since Cold Harbor is two words properly, the next vowel was a. If it had been cold by itself, the next vowel in the alphabet after d would have been e or le to start the next word. So I'll start with an La word, OK?

I'll lead off with
Battle of Laeffelt, (2 July 1747), a battle in the War of Austrian succession.

Battle of the Selle (17-25 October 1918)
This is one I would not have posted before but it is a walk in the park with the new rules.

Cardadeu (16 December 1808), a French victory that ended the Spanish siege of Barcelona.

Barrosa (March 1811), one of my favorite British wins on the Peninsula, despite the lack of help from the Spanish allies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back