Tibute to Wilson Edwards Toy Sodiers. (1 Viewer)

Obee

Captain
My wife, who is an Arts Teacher, is plannng a series of work for her students using photogarphy as the media.

One of the themes this time of the eyar in Aussie schools is ANZAC Day and as photogaphy was the new medium in WW1 the govenment appointed an official war photographer, Frank Hurley, to capture the images of this terrible war for future generations.

One of his iconic images is this:
forward.jpg

Infantry moving forward to take over the front at evening

My wife then asked me if it was possible for her to borrow some of my 'Army Men' to use a props so her students could try to compose a similar image. Of course I wouldn't lend my metal figures, such as the WETS Aussies, but found a whole box of Chinese made 'green army men' that would suit.

Today I thought I'd see if I could take up her challenge of reproducing the Hurley image, so posed along a long ridge on the Western Front, this is my result.

h2.JPG

I know I don't have the pool of water to reflect the troops, but not bad for a 15 minute job???

Seeing these figures, it pays a great tribute to Craig Pearse, who produced such fine miniatures, and is sady missed.

Thanks, Craig,

regards,

John

Well done John with just a few minutes work too. Life at war and not at war can suck at times for all concerned, no rhyme or reason. All very sad for words. Nice of you to post this for Craig. Sat next to him for 4 hours at dinner last June, discussing our favourite hobby, a lovely person. Cheers, Robin.

I would like to add my little bit to a tribute to Craig who I dealt with often, I never met him but via e-mail and etc, he always was very helpful and willing to accommodate any requests about figures and was informative at all times, a good bloke. I have quite a few W.E.T.S in my collection, I post one pic as a mark of respect to Craig.
Wayne.

Attachments

• vghnjuio 004.JPG
    vghnjuio 004.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 296
Do you know if WETS will trade again?
If you hear of it please let me know.
With TAW, WETS, and Britains Premier gone.......we are all running short of options other than the mass produced China stuff.......
Artillery_Crazy

Do you know if WETS will trade again?
If you hear of it please let me know.
With TAW, WETS, and Britains Premier gone.......we are all running short of options other than the mass produced China stuff.......
Artillery_Crazy

No news yet, but I have been in contact with Doug Pearce of Pearce Minaitures in Geeelng who was asking me questions about the future of Wilson Edwards.

Here is a new image for you of WETS Aussie gunners in the Pacific Theatre with an unknow made 6 Pounder......

6pounder.JPG
They will be off to a new home soon :)

John

No news yet, but I have been in contact with Doug Pearce of Pearce Minaitures in Geeelng who was asking me questions about the future of Wilson Edwards.

Here is a new image for you of WETS Aussie gunners in the Pacific Theatre with an unknow made 6 Pounder......

View attachment 89319
They will be off to a new home soon :)

John

Hi John,
Thanks....and great job on the Aussie gunners and 6 punder.....
Hearing from Doug let us know.

Regards,

Luiz

Hi John,
Thanks....and great job on the Aussie gunners and 6 punder.....
Hearing from Doug let us know.

Regards,

Luiz

I would like to add these pics as a humble tribute to the great man behind WETs......we will miss Craig and his ability to create specialys from his box of spare parts.........

Cheers

Luiz aka ( Artillery_Crazy )
075.JPG066.JPG055.JPG069.JPG065.JPG

In this set I have matched WETS with artillery from Bulldog, Kingcast and another unknown manufacturer given that Craig was very light on artillery offerings.......
View attachment 92597View attachment 92598View attachment 92599View attachment 92600View attachment 92601

044.JPG042.JPG037.JPG053.JPG098.JPG

The last pic, just shows how well WETS would fit with other manufacturers offerings, in the pic you have STADDEN, LL, Mountford, Kingcast, MKL and others and the match is perfect......

This set has a special meaning to me.....It was the last set I had worked on with Craig and his sudden death lead to it being left un assembled......two years later working with Craig´s family I was able to recover the set in its pre assembly stage and Obee--- went the extra miles to assemble the set.....The first pictures of the set went to Craig´s family, and I thought I should share them here also as a tribute to a very special person......
Thanks Obee for having been the key player in making this possible....
Cheers
Luiz ( A_C )

Attachments

• 072.JPG
    072.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 226.JPG
    226.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 213.JPG
    213.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 135
And a fitting set for Craig to be remembered for. Well done to all involved.:salute::,Robin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back