Tips for casting. (1 Viewer)

Thanks Brad:
The top one is the ACW Bucket guy from LA. I took off the head and put the head for the 24th on him. The middle two are of the Zouave with the fez lopped off and a kepi put on in place. The bottom picture is the same guy, 'au naturale.'

Very nice work. I have been away for a few days. Thank you for the pics. Let me know if you want more of the pics posted.:)

Got another 'pose' for you. On the 24th Foot molds you got, take the kneeling torso, the firing pistiol arm and the left arm that's not doing anything. Have him kneeling, firing to the right. Place head appropriately. Put arm down about half way on left side. Put the crate from the mule in his hands and you've got a guy trying to get into a box of ammo but 'interrupted'. I'll send you a pic of mine!

Got another 'pose' for you. On the 24th Foot molds you got, take the kneeling torso, the firing pistiol arm and the left arm that's not doing anything. Have him kneeling, firing to the right. Place head appropriately. Put arm down about half way on left side. Put the crate from the mule in his hands and you've got a guy trying to get into a box of ammo but 'interrupted'. I'll send you a pic of mine!

Sounds good! Looking for it and will post it here. I have been casting and painting. Mostly painting. Need to post pics of work.

Please do! I always like seeing other work other than my own. It inspires me...often I go in a direction I hadn't considered. It's funny how one can cast a figure, with all the variation one can think of yet see another's work and think, 'wow, why didn't I think of that????'

I wish I could cast that cannon. That is an Imperial. Just the four guys in the forground. They are from Lil Army Molds

Sparks:
I like the kneeling/firing LA figure. I see that he's a re-sculpt, differing from the catalog yet again. Very nice. I notice that you have/had the same problem with the bayonets that I did...the connection point is incredibly thin and fragile. I had to strengthen it by cutting slightly into the mold this added more metal and balanced the rifle out better. Othwise, you have this hourglass figure with a very small taper. I've only ever done the standing figure as a Union paintjob. The CSA looks good. Isn't that head on the Zouave office a bit...odd? Try replicating it yourself!

Sparks:
Isn't that head on the Zouave office a bit...odd? Try replicating it yourself!

What do you mean odd? Shape? Replicate how do you mean. Very curious. Took a mexican LA figure and put him on a Conte plastic. Coming out really well and makes up for the small head on the plastic figure.

No, I mean the pose on him is hard to duplicate in real life. He's cool...I would just turn the head to the left slightly. Helpful tip on the 24th foot. When you do the firing figures, put the right arm on first. That way you can make it level with the base. I take a soldering irong and put a dimple where the arm meets the body. Then juse JB weld to fill any gaps and finish the epoxying. If you do that, the rifle is nice and level and you're working on 1 plane vs. 2 if you're trying to put the left arm on. The left arm goes on well with very little manipulation. Put the head on last so you can line up the face like you would yourself if holding a MH rifle. Otherwise LA guys have a tendency to be firing on an angle. That bugs me.
....I'm really liking that kneeling guy..... maybe next.... The TS Online Gallery last month used the Indian Army marching sepoy...I'm liking that guy too...

No, I mean the pose on him is hard to duplicate in real life. He's cool...I would just turn the head to the left slightly. Helpful tip on the 24th foot. When you do the firing figures, put the right arm on first. That way you can make it level with the base. I take a soldering irong and put a dimple where the arm meets the body. Then juse JB weld to fill any gaps and finish the epoxying. If you do that, the rifle is nice and level and you're working on 1 plane vs. 2 if you're trying to put the left arm on. The left arm goes on well with very little manipulation. Put the head on last so you can line up the face like you would yourself if holding a MH rifle. Otherwise LA guys have a tendency to be firing on an angle. That bugs me.
....I'm really liking that kneeling guy..... maybe next.... The TS Online Gallery last month used the Indian Army marching sepoy...I'm liking that guy too...

I think that guy did that pose in Men in Tights. But, I can see what you mean.
I will try that on the 24th ft guys. They were somewhat difficult and to be succinct disappointing. I did buy some more lead today. I will be firing up the melting pot soon. Have lots of Conte Plastic Napoloenics with small heads. Going to replace the heads with metal ones.

New tip: If one is using an old bullet melter for your casting. You will want to make the nozzle is totally clear. I got a really good stiff metal rod and clear it. What a difference. Casts are really much better. Things that did not come out are working great.

Michael:

How about a couple of photos of your casting area. It might be nice to

see your operation!

Njja

New tip: If one is using an old bullet melter for your casting. You will want to make the nozzle is totally clear. I got a really good stiff metal rod and clear it. What a difference. Casts are really much better. Things that did not come out are working great.

Hi, KV, is that the large pot with the spigot at the bottom that you're referring to? Holds a couple of pounds of metal? I was thinking of upgrading to one, from my electric ladle.

Prost!
Brad

Hi, KV, is that the large pot with the spigot at the bottom that you're referring to? Holds a couple of pounds of metal? I was thinking of upgrading to one, from my electric ladle.

Prost!
Brad

Yes it is. I belive you can find it as Lee Products. Shooting supplies.

Here is a picture of the set up. I would not do this unless the ventilation was good. Also there is a light above it. The plywood is a must. The foil is a shield for keep lead of the stove.

The idea of casting your own figures is very interesting! Thats quite an

operation you have there, I'm certain I would set the entire neighborhood on

fire were I to attempt such a venture!

Is that a spare stove? Or is the wife about to come at you with a rolling pin?

Njja:eek:

The idea of casting your own figures is very interesting! Thats quite an

operation you have there, I'm certain I would set the entire neighborhood on

fire were I to attempt such a venture!

Is that a spare stove? Or is the wife about to come at you with a rolling pin?

Njja:eek:

No wive , ergo no rolling pin!;) GF has her own place.:D

Thanks, KV! I got my ladle from a similar source, a sporting goods store that sold black powder supplies.

@njja--I think casting my own is fun, and there are some really good molds available commercially, too. Prins August, Li'l Army (I think KV is using those), plus, you can make your own, too.

Prosit!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back