Toy soldier painting tutorial from ATKM (1 Viewer)

AlltheKingsMen

Private 2
InProgress21.jpg

In the few years that All the King's Men has been in business, we've tried to usher in a resurgence of interest in 54mm wargaming. A lot of guys seem to like the size, charm and eye candy of the figures, but they're accustomed to smaller ones, like 15s and 25s. One of the most common questions I get is "What painting techniques do I use on 54s?"

So I decided to create this log of my painting process for a single battalion. Everyone uses a slightly different approach. Mine has evolved over years in an effort to achieve a particular look in the least amount of time. Here it is:

http://www.allthekingsmentoysoldiers.com/Painting54s.html

Let me know what you think, and feel free to write with any questions.

Ken Cliffe
All the King's Men

Ken:

Thanks for being so generous in sharing your painting techniques. I love painting, but am not always satisfied with my results. I will definitely experiment with some of your techniques as I have admired your figure painting for some time. I know I have seen previously some close-ups of beautifully painted figures you did earlier. I do think your wonderful instuctions would profit from a couple of close-ups, as my poor old eyes struggle to see the details.

Again, many thanks and all the best to ATKM.

Great instructions. Thanks for taking the time to share. Can people hire you to paint toy soldiers for them? That is, soldiers other than ones for sale on your website?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back