Toy soldiers at national army museum (1 Viewer)

graycap

Staff Sergeant
Most Thursdays the National Army Museum in London holds Lunchtime Lectures on a variety of military subjects. Admission is free. Forum members who live/work in/around near London might be interested in the following talk later this year:

From Toys to Collectables A Century of Toy Soldiers by Roger Steam, 7 March 2013, 12.30pm.

In my last visit to London, my wife and I were staying at a friends apartment on the Embankment. The Museum was an easy walk from the flat. At that time, we toured the Museum's exhibit on the Crimean War and its WWI exhibit. The exhibits were beautifully presented. Prio to leaving the museum we visited the Museum store and purchased two Tradition of London WWI TS sets (excellent price) and their limited edition cocktail table size book on the Crimean War titled "A Most Desperate Undertaking" by Alistair Massie. I would highly recommend a visit to this well organized museum.

Most Thursdays the National Army Museum in London holds Lunchtime Lectures on a variety of military subjects. Admission is free. Forum members who live/work in/around near London might be interested in the following talk later this year:

From Toys to Collectables A Century of Toy Soldiers by Roger Steam, 7 March 2013, 12.30pm.

Hi all,

http://www.nam.ac.uk/

:)

Faithfully
Valmy

As a member of SOFNAM I'm looking forward to hearing Roger Steam's lecture this coming Thursday lunchtime. Also to attending Mark Urban's talk on "Tankies" later this month and Con Coughlin's lecture on Churchill's First War on 16th April.

Out of interest, does the NAM have any "toy" or "model" soldiers in its collections? If so, they would make a great display to feature one of your revamped galleries over the coming years.

Unfortunately I will be unable to attend your Britains Greatest (Military) Victory event in April. However, I have already cast my on-line vote for El Alamein so I hope it makes it to the final cut!

As a member of SOFNAM I'm looking forward to hearing Roger Steam's lecture this coming Thursday lunchtime. Also to attending Mark Urban's talk on "Tankies" later this month and Con Coughlin's lecture on Churchill's First War on 16th April.

Out of interest, does the NAM have any "toy" or "model" soldiers in its collections? If so, they would make a great display to feature one of your revamped galleries over the coming years.

Unfortunately I will be unable to attend your Britains Greatest (Military) Victory event in April. However, I have already cast my on-line vote for El Alamein so I hope it makes it to the final cut!

As a matter of fact they have a comprehensive collection of W. Britain figures, mainly from the hollowcast era. A collection was bequested to them, cannot recall the collector off hand. We have been working with them to try and have more of this amazing collection displayed (there are a few pieces sprinkled around the museum, but just the tip of the iceberg). I wish I were around the corner, would be thrilled to attend these lectures. Enjoy!

As a matter of fact they have a comprehensive collection of W. Britain figures, mainly from the hollowcast era. A collection was bequested to them, cannot recall the collector off hand. We have been working with them to try and have more of this amazing collection displayed (there are a few pieces sprinkled around the museum, but just the tip of the iceberg). I wish I were around the corner, would be thrilled to attend these lectures. Enjoy!

It was an interesting lecture and mention was made of some of the soldiers displayed around the mueseum. They could certainly do alot more and perhaps this will be done as part of the NAM's current plans for revamping the their collections and display. H.G. Wells, of course war-gamed, with Britains soldiers - see his "Little Wars" which will be celebrating the 100th anniversary of its publication back in 1913 this year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back