Toy soldiers in movies (3 Viewers)

Obee's post made me think of "Lovejoy". Are there any other "Lovejoy" fans out there, and do you remember if there were toy soldiers featured in any episode? I can't remember, but I don't think there were. And that would be relatively odd, for stories about a crime-solving British antiques dealer. You would think he'd come across the odd set of old Britains or Johillco, at least once.

I may have to dig out my old VHS tapes and have a "Lovejoy"-thon...

Prost!
Brad

Yes Brad, there was one episode concerning a flag from the AWI and the claims and counter claims as to who could claim title to it. Model soldiers were used to demonstrate the moves of a particular battle and were then auctioned at the end of the show. Can't remember the details or title but there was a bombastic American Air force officer, two conflicting lawyers, and a womanising odd job man. Trooper

Yes Brad, there was one episode concerning a flag from the AWI and the claims and counter claims as to who could claim title to it. Model soldiers were used to demonstrate the moves of a particular battle and were then auctioned at the end of the show. Can't remember the details or title but there was a bombastic American Air force officer, two conflicting lawyers, and a womanising odd job man. Trooper

Thanks, Trooper! Now I will have to have a marathon over the holidays and look for it.

Prost!
Brad

do these count.......^&grin

Attachments

• 12755448591 (2).jpg
    12755448591 (2).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 266
  • dinner00006small.jpg
    dinner00006small.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 268
  • David Letterman vs. Steve Carell's Mouse Diorama-Late Show Interview 2.jpg
    David Letterman vs. Steve Carell's Mouse Diorama-Late Show Interview 2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 284
  • David Letterman vs. Steve Carell's Mouse Diorama-Late Show Interview 1.jpg
    David Letterman vs. Steve Carell's Mouse Diorama-Late Show Interview 1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 274
In the Columbo movie, the scene that the soldiers that were being set up,I believe was Gettysburg, what toy soldier company was being used?
Not exactly a military history trivia question, but a trivia question nonetheless. I thought of this, after seeing Joachim's (plasmapulse) post elsewhere about the maker of figures shown in a Columbo movie.

How many different movie references can we name, in which toy soldiers appeared?

Joachim has given one already, the Columbo movie, "Grand Deceptions".

I can think of a couple:

"Toys" with Robin Williams, Joan Cusak (features old Barclay and Manoil figures)

"The Living Daylights" (Joe Don Baker's lair has several dioramas and displays, some of which were from the Forbes collection. In fact, I think scenes were shot in the Palace Mendoub in Morocco, which housed the collection).

"Murder at 1600" with Wesley Snipes

Can anyone else think of any?

Prost!
Brad

In Galavant, they make fun of the character Syd for collecting "Dolls" - he then corrects them and says they are "detailed figurines" :)

If you haven't seen it, the show is quite entertaining

Just watched Diary of a Wimpy Kid with my children. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. In fact I got a couple good chuckles out of it. The dad is really into the civil war and has a ACW diorama going in his basement. I tried finding a clip of the diorama but was only able to find this one of dad taking his son to a ACW reenactment.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...twIwAA&usg=AFQjCNGgxufOyurFuZUq3st3gYPBUx9bBw

Any one know ???

I just checked since I have the whole series. The boxes are red and have "Traditional Toy Soldiers" written on it. That's the only 2 things you can spot from the first scene...

Unknown figures in "Son of the Morning Star", Custer is shown in the attic of his Munro home after being court martialled looking at a table full of soldiers. Possibly Imrie-Risley. Trooper

Right you are, Vic, right you are! He's painting a hussar in that scene, and I agree, I think it's a Stadden casting.

Prost!
Brad

Brad,
I too believe they are Staddens as demonstrated their bases. Also Von Sydow uses I/R (Imrie/Risley) paint which was a great paint. I wish it was still made.
Feldkappe

Brad,
Also I remember Mel Gibson's kid in The Patriot was playing with them when he was killed....And a cheater....Toy Story:eek:
Mike

Movie Fans,
The figures which appeared in "the Patriot" were Wollners which were of Austrian manufacturer and in the wrong uniform of the time. About 1 century after the American Revolution. The Smithsonian which supposedly helped research the movie really missed their mark on this. I forget which unit they are as I do not have a copy of the letter I wrote to the producers at the time citing the correct unit that was shown on the screen. I never received any response to my letter. As I do not have my uniform books in front of me or readily accessible I believe they are either Trabantenleibgarde or Arcerienleibgarde in the uniform of 1890s or so. I will try sometime to find my copy of the movie and my notes to clear this up. I had pointed this out to my Austrian friends when the movie was out.
Feldkappe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back