Trade or sell? (1 Viewer)

Sgt. 403

Private
Back in May, I stumbled across an estate sale for a WWII vet and bought some militaria. Since then, I've found something about every weekend. With the prices of soldiers going up compared to the price of actual stuff used in the war, I'm moving that way and shutting down my active buying of K&C. I am still going to list items as possible gift ideas, although I'm cutting back to just Confederates and American WWII.

That decision leaves me with a couple of British AWI, the Union generals set, the Snow Tiger, and a couple of Waffen-SS sets. Would I be better off trying to trade these for items that now match what I'm trying to collect, or would ebay be a better deal, plowing the money back into some new sets. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I can relate to that as I have a bunch of glossy's and Napolionics, Crimea, TAW, frontline, trophy, cb that I inherited and have no idea what to do with. I am tempted to just put them on consignment with a dealer. I tried a couple of posts on the forum with little to no response, and frankly the number of sets is overwhelming.

Back in May, I stumbled across an estate sale for a WWII vet and bought some militaria. Since then, I've found something about every weekend. With the prices of soldiers going up compared to the price of actual stuff used in the war, I'm moving that way and shutting down my active buying of K&C. I am still going to list items as possible gift ideas, although I'm cutting back to just Confederates and American WWII.

That decision leaves me with a couple of British AWI, the Union generals set, the Snow Tiger, and a couple of Waffen-SS sets. Would I be better off trying to trade these for items that now match what I'm trying to collect, or would ebay be a better deal, plowing the money back into some new sets. Any ideas would be appreciated.

For the Snow Tiger I would do eBay. The decision on the Waffen SS sets would depend on whether they're retired and when they were retired. The rest I'd try to trade or maybe sell on here.

I can relate to that as I have a bunch of glossy's and Napolionics, Crimea, TAW, frontline, trophy, cb that I inherited and have no idea what to do with. I am tempted to just put them on consignment with a dealer. I tried a couple of posts on the forum with little to no response, and frankly the number of sets is overwhelming.

I would definitely sell TAW and Trophy on eBay as generally Trophy is a very up market. What do you have in Trophy as some ranges do better than others. Frontline, depends what you have.

I'd be interested in the Napoleonics. If you want to sell, please PM me today (I will be leaving tomorrow).
Thanks,
Sandor

If you have a trusted dealer I would consider letting them sell it on consignment as e-bay is a flippin' pain. A good dealer would have several venues to sell your not so goodies. I would make sure to have the discussion of their commission up front though.

If you have a trusted dealer I would consider letting them sell it on consignment as e-bay is a flippin' pain. A good dealer would have several venues to sell your not so goodies. I would make sure to have the discussion of their commission up front though.

It may be a pain but on consignment, you'll end up sharing your profits with a dealer. For the additional bother, you'll do better.

It may be a pain but on consignment, you'll end up sharing your profits with a dealer. For the additional bother, you'll do better.

Though not a dealer, I have handled two nice collections on consignment for folks and have done quite well. My fee is significantly less than a dealer as I don't charge a fee, I simply picked a few sets and had fun selling the others! It takes time, but it was fun to realize value in the sales for folks who are not into ebay. One collection was about 300 sets, the other was about 20 pieces.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back