Trouble along the Schoharie (1 Viewer)

Re: Trouble along the Schoharie -- Part 4. Prisoner's Tale

Major Smythe couldn't believe what he was hearing from the prisoner, but at least half was true. The prisoner, a Marine of the Compagnies Franches, was a Scot! He spoke Gaelic and, of necessity, French. A garrison interpreter, Sargeant Mackenzie from the 42nd Foot or Royal Highland Regiment translated the prisoner's Gaelic to Smythe. Mackenzie spoke in his hoarse manner: "His name is MacPherson, a jacobite to the core. When he was a lad of 13, his Father, a survivor of Culloden, and his cousin all escaped to France. They sought service with the exiled Prince and eventually the King. That's how he and his cousin wound up in Canada as part of a Scots company in the French Marines." Smythe took it in, seems incredulous but quite possible. "Why should we believe he deserted", Smythe asked of Mackenzie. Mackenzie translated the question in Gaelic and after a few minutes repeated the prisoner's story: "My cousin and I were privates in the French Marines. My cousin died at Carrillon (Ticonderoga), a highlander's musket ball through the neck while we defended Montcalm's right flank. I was never passionate about the French cause, I tagged along with my cousin who was older. Now he's dead. I'm a fisherman as was my Father. I want to go back to Scotland, but I could stay here too and fish, raise a family; I'm done with war. There are many Scots like me in your colonies, no?"

prisonerinterrogD.jpg

The major still not full believing the story, did pass on to the garrison commander the vital information the the French/Scots prisoner conveyed. General Varreiulle and his forces from Montreal plan to join up with a French and Huron force from Detroit, take the ouposts along the Mohawk and Schoharie and eventually Albany itself. It was a desperate offensive thrust to catch the British off-guard and even draw their forces back from Canada. Fort Hunter has fallen, next Forts Steward and Schenectady.

The rescue party was being pursued by Abenaki and French militia. Several in the party had died in the first volley of musket fire from the French, a few more as they cut their way through the Abenaki and, now, only twenty remained - a few of the volunteers from the 78th Highland and the rest Rangers. As they approached the blockhouse where they had started that morning, they stopped to discuss options and what they observed. Ranger ensign Thompson speaking hurriedly said, "I know where those warriors are from, a village very close to St. Francis. If they take prisoners, they'll be at Red Scar's village." Captain Cameron of the Highlander contingent cut him off, saying. " That may be true, but we need to get back to the Fort. Should we hole up in the Blockhouse or keep going?" "Back to the Fort", Thompson responded with authority, "They'll burn us in that blockhouse; we need to keep going even if takes all night to get back." That's what they did, as rapidly and quietly as possible with eyes forward and backward.
ambushskeedadledark.jpg
ambushskeeddark2.jpgambushrearguard.jpg

Attachments

• ambushskeeddark3.jpg
    ambushskeeddark3.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 95
Re: Trouble along the Schoharie -- Part 4 cont.

The rescue party, now being pursued, was approaching the bridge at the upper Schoharie, no more than creek at this point. Rangers in the advance, vigilant as ever, could hear whoops and hollering across the river. Captain Cameron of the 78th Highlanders ran up to the advance party, indicating that he and his small Highland contingent will advance at a run over the bridge and give covering fire as the Rangers crossed the bridge. Then it would be a matter of a few hundred paces to the watergate of the Fort and to safety.
Frasershighlanderatbridgehead.jpg
frasersatfortcoveringfire.jpg

French militia and Abenaki were harrassing the far southwestern corner of the Fort. Is this a small but brazen raiding party or a detachment from a larger force threatening the Fort? Will the rescue party make it safely back to the Fort?

Stay tuned....

Joel

Very nicely told and photgraph an the Conte British Officer blended in very nicely. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us next.....The Lt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back