U-505 (1 Viewer)

Alexdakar

Command Sergeant Major
Has anybody seen the U-505 in Chicago? I was thinking of site seeing while I'm at the OTSN and I found out that there is an exhibit with the U-505 submarine.

Too bad Doug can't answer this one. He's an expert on the U 505.

Yes the U-505 is at Museum of science along 55th and Lake Shore Drive. Buses run regulary from downtown to museum. The U-505 sat outside for years and now they completed a million dollar plus remodelling and moved sub inside. They use to sell a nice paper book about sub. When I was a kid we went down and watched them move sub from Lake Michigan across to museum- inches at a time. Leadmen

ALEX
THE 505 IS WORTH THE TRIP TO SEE IT IS THE ONLY TYPE IXC U BOAT LEFT IN THE WORLD TODAY I HAVE ALOT OF MEMORABELIA FROM HER VISITING HER FIRST TIME IN 1957 WHEN I WAS A YOUNG BOY AND BECAME OBSESSED WITH IT MY 5 FT MODEL IS POSTED IN THE FORUM PHOTOS AND ALSO HAVE ALOT OF PHOTOS AUTOGRAPHS AND PERSONEL MATERIAL OF CREWMEMBERS FROM HER WHEN SHE WAS CAPTURED IN 1944 THEY ARE DECEASED NOW BUT THE ARTICLES AND PHOTOS ARE TREASURED HISTORY IM IN A REHAB CENTER NOW USING THE COMPUTER HERE WHEN I CAN BUT WILL BE BACK SOON AT MY HOME COMPUTER TO CONVERSE ON THE FORUM TO ALL THE SWELL FELLOWSHIP IVE FOUND HERE BRAD I FINALLY MADE IT TO A COMPUTER BUT HAVE TO TAKE TURNS ITS IRONIC THAT THE SUBJECT OF THE 505 CAME UP JUST AS I CAME ON
REGARDS
DOUG STORK
HANSU505@AOL.COM

Last edited:
I have heard that the U505 was well worth the trip. I have only been on an American Sub from that same period and it was really a great experience to see first hand how the men lived and worked under such cramped conditions. Being a Tank man I thought the inside of a buttoned up tank could be close but it was nothing compared to the Sub it took a special kind of man to do that work.

Let us know what you think when you get back from the trip.

Dave

Last Sunday's Chicago Tribune magazine wrote an article about U-505 and the 35 million it spent moving it indoors at Science Museum. Two of the seven survivors were present. I would like to mail it to Doug Stork if someone could supply his address. Thanks. Leadmen JohnERio@aol.com

Alex: that sure is an interesting site about sub. Enjoyed thr "tour". Leadmen

Alex, the sub is neat, but I believe once you get invoved in OTSN you will put touring the sub on hold.
Speaking of 505 which I have seen. In Mobile Al. I also went thru a U.S. WW2 sub, can,t remember the name and also the battleship Alabama.
If you ever get in that vicinity make sure you check it out.
While speaking of exibits, toured the DDay museum last November, it was good, but I was just a tad disappointed, just expected a little more.
Gary

Gary,

Maybe Alex anticipates blowing his wad all in one day, thereby leaving time for the sub :D . Might be joining him if that happens to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back