U-96 Additions (1 Viewer)

Hi All,

Did anyone else see the "sneak peek" announcement of the re-release/new conning tower for the U-96?

Says there's some add-ons that look like three new figures based on the picture. Looking forward to these.

Great piece, although I'm still hoping for an additional front and rear end to finish off the sectional sub.

Time to dust off the old sub. ^&grin

attachment.php

attachment.php

Awesome setup, Rob 😎

I also got the same email announcement from TCS about the additions to the U-96 set. Mine is packed away at the moment, but I need to pull it out again. The new figures are a definite must!

Awesome setup, Rob
I also got the same email announcement from TCS about the additions to the U-96 set. Mine is packed away at the moment, but I need to pull it out again. The new figures are a definite must!
Thanks Tman, this is one of my "center piece" displays. Looking forward to adding a few figures.

Certainly a spectacular piece as illustrated by you Rob.
Thanks much Robin.

A little "dust off" of the real deal and a newly photo-edited image (from a previous image):

attachment.php

Akelei::::::::U-99::::::On::::::Station:::::::Attacking
Robin.

Attachments

• DSCN4698.jpg
    DSCN4698.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 176
Random question, namely for WesternOutlaw or anyone else that has the U-96 set out on display currently: what are the inside and outside dimensions of the frame that came with the set? Just curious.

I got my complete U-96 a few years ago from a retailer for a good price, but it didn’t come with the display frame… Retailer didn’t have any as supposedly the frame only came with orders shipped from TCS directly. I’ve always wanted to create a base for the set with a frame around the edge that I could then mount the hull and water sections in. The base/tray would allow me to move the set around while the l frame would keep things together and prevent them from sliding around.

Akelei::::::::U-99::::::On::::::Station:::::::Attacking
You've joined the Wolf Pack, Robin. Excellent!

Random question, namely for WesternOutlaw or anyone else that has the U-96 set out on display currently: what are the inside and outside dimensions of the frame that came with the set? Just curious.
Hey Tman,
The dimensions are:
30 x 12 1/2" (outer)
28 x 10 1/2" (inner)
So basically, the frame is 1" wide all around with a little play at both long ends.
Here's a picture:

attachment.php

Fantastic shots Rob, certainly a stunning boat. Robin.

Attachments

• DSCN4699.jpg
    DSCN4699.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 188
Have a feeling the additions are figures and the original conning tower. The email says the expected conning tower is due in a few weeks to supplement the existing 10 sets of 88 gun section and Aft section that remain in store at the moment. These sections are not going to be produced again, so Brian is suggesting if you wish to complete the sub as shown in his photos, you should snap up the last of the available sections or miss out. Robin.

Hey Robin, I've used a few of those Kriegsmarines in some of my older shots. They look great on the deck of the U-96 as you've pictured. Cool idea to add the rear section to the front.

In re. to the add-ons, sounds like no new sections this go-around but rather two new conning towers, one with revised green 9th Flotilla Laughing Sawfish for historic accuracy and a variant for a different sub. In addition, new figures and some sort of accessory/add-on set. I'm hoping for some provisions/cargo but we'll see.

A little "away raft" with some men would be really cool but just part of my wish list. ^&grin

Robin, here's a couple of older shots for you:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hey Tman,
The dimensions are:
30 x 12 1/2" (outer)
28 x 10 1/2" (inner)
So basically, the frame is 1" wide all around with a little play at both long ends.
Here's a picture:

attachment.php

Fantastic! Thanks WesternOutlaw! Those measurements are incredibly helpful…

Your original scenes Rob, inspired me to go down the same path all be it gold plated. Robin.

refueling on the surface, always risky.

Attachments

• DSCN4700.jpg
    DSCN4700.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN4701.jpg
    DSCN4701.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 168
Fantastic! Thanks WesternOutlaw! Those measurements are incredibly helpful…
You're most welcome. Please share an image or two if you set it up.

Your original scenes Rob, inspired me to go down the same path all be it gold plated.
Looking good, Robin. Love seeing the inclusion of the Seehund in your diorama and the raft is a very nice touch.

EDIT: but why gold?

Back at you, Buddy:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks Rob. Gold equals expense, at the end of this I will have spent $3500 Australian. ^&grin, Robin.

Thanks Rob. Gold equals expense, at the end of this I will have spent $3500 Australian. ^&grin
Oh, I see. I thought you were talking about a gold plated Seehund. The color in the picture has a bit of a goldish hue. :eek:

EDIT: I understand though. I purchased the U-96 in its entirety upon release, but not the case with my submarine base (at least in regard to the K&C pieces). Purchased most from the second hand market all over the country (US) attempting to collect the entire set. Took me over a year and quite a bit of $$$ but it was a lot of fun.

attachment.php

Last edited:
No doubt about it you have Showcased, pardon the pun, this series so well and possibly inspired others to follow Rob. All your scenes excel and bring the sub to life. Such an iconic piece for WW2 and a big task for any collector to grace their shelves with. I will post some more scenes after Brian’s release scheduled in a few weeks. Robin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back