UK figure painters?? (1 Viewer)

nigelhaywood123

Private 2
Looking for quality UK figure painters.
Is quite few who say they are painters, but looking for best quality painters
Anyone know in UK ??
Thanks ;)

Yo Trooper, you want to have a word with John (beating retreat) you can see his work in his albums. For my Chas Stadden models I use Kevan Darby ex Stadden painter.
Bernard.

Jeff (aujj) is pretty darn good. I would recommend him.

Here is John's (beating retreat) website.

http://www.paintedsoldiers.co.uk/

is quality workmanship. fantastic paint jobs.
looks very expensive?? but is display quality

Brad recommending Jeff(aujj)

Jeff do you have a site? or any threads?
How much reasonably should I be paying/per figure??
I have a cost in my mind, but have got over 20 new figures needing painting up, so is obviously multiplied by over 20 and then becomes quite expensive.

Have seen some quality wargame painter sites. Guns of August etc.
none quoting 1/32 although approx £3.50 for 28mm (1/72). thinking may be double or less for 54mm £6/£7???

advice would be welcome
thanks ;)

is quality workmanship. fantastic paint jobs.
looks very expensive?? but is display quality

Brad recommending Jeff(aujj)

Jeff do you have a site? or any threads?
How much reasonably should I be paying/per figure??
I have a cost in my mind, but have got over 20 new figures needing painting up, so is obviously multiplied by over 20 and then becomes quite expensive.

Have seen some quality wargame painter sites. Guns of August etc.
none quoting 1/32 although approx £3.50 for 28mm (1/72). thinking may be double or less for 54mm £6/£7???

advice would be welcome
thanks ;)

In the painting (how-to) section of the forum there are a number of threads with figures I have painted for forum members. I must add that I only paint in Humbrol gloss and now I don't paint as much as I should do.

Thanks

Jeff

In the painting (how-to) section of the forum there are a number of threads with figures I have painted for forum members. I must add that I only paint in Humbrol gloss and now I don't paint as much as I should do.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff
Humbrol gloss??
unfortunately for me, my collection is matt finished, and although very tempted re your fantastic painting quality, I think I should realy be sticking with matt finish re rest of my collection.
began collecting forces of valor few years back, and later added unpainted tssd, conte etc which I painted up myself. mediocre finish, and not to your standard, but in keeping with factory painted FOV and their figs. later again added some k&c and figarti (these all look like matt to me). and more recently just bought couple sets unpainted tssd german longcoats.

What do you think? should I mix matt and gloss or keep to matt.

thanks
Nigel

Jeff
Humbrol gloss??
unfortunately for me, my collection is matt finished, and although very tempted re your fantastic painting quality, I think I should realy be sticking with matt finish re rest of my collection.
began collecting forces of valor few years back, and later added unpainted tssd, conte etc which I painted up myself. mediocre finish, and not to your standard, but in keeping with factory painted FOV and their figs. later again added some k&c and figarti (these all look like matt to me). and more recently just bought couple sets unpainted tssd german longcoats.

What do you think? should I mix matt and gloss or keep to matt.

thanks
Nigel

Nigel,

I don't collect gloss either and my collection is purely matt. Yes I know - strange to paint only in gloss for others but collect matt for myself? :confused:

I think you should just stick to matt but I'm sure others will say collect gloss or both, that’s the joy of this hobby - so many decisions. :rolleyes::D

Jeff

Nigel,

I don't collect gloss either and my collection is purely matt. Yes I know - strange to paint only in gloss for others but collect matt for myself? :confused:

I think you should just stick to matt but I'm sure others will say collect gloss or both, that’s the joy of this hobby - so many decisions. :rolleyes::D

Jeff

Jeff.
yeah, does sound odd, particularly when collecting in matt yourself, and re your fantastic painting quality. Have you never painted in matt and always done in gloss ?? What made you stick with gloss only?? is very interesting??

Totally agree, some no doubt will mix their collections with both. I think is OK if you've got enough of each to do this, and can create independant dio displays.
Is a difficult one! But like you, I think my collection is best continued in matt particularly when taking into account all my figures are realy collected to compliment my prized FOV collection which is produced in matt, and to add to my own matt produced dios. My own feeling is might look odd mixed in, but I could be wrong!

Hey, after seeing your work though, would instantaneously recommend you to anyone asking. I think realy should be having your own website and painting full time, but I guess probably too busy.

Anyway, fantastic work Jeff and pleasure to discuss with.
Many thanks for taking time
Nigel

Jeff.
yeah, does sound odd, particularly when collecting in matt yourself, and re your fantastic painting quality. Have you never painted in matt and always done in gloss ?? What made you stick with gloss only?? is very interesting??

Totally agree, some no doubt will mix their collections with both. I think is OK if you've got enough of each to do this, and can create independant dio displays.
Is a difficult one! But like you, I think my collection is best continued in matt particularly when taking into account all my figures are realy collected to compliment my prized FOV collection which is produced in matt, and to add to my own matt produced dios. My own feeling is might look odd mixed in, but I could be wrong!

Hey, after seeing your work though, would instantaneously recommend you to anyone asking. I think realy should be having your own website and painting full time, but I guess probably too busy.

Anyway, fantastic work Jeff and pleasure to discuss with.
Many thanks for taking time
Nigel

Nigel,

I painted 25mm wargame figures many years ago in matt complete with shading, highlighting etc and then 120mm chess pieces. My wife and I used to paint for Sarum Soldiers some years ago and that was in gloss and I've just stuck with that. I have tried (and failed :eek:) more than a few times to collect the gloss figures that I've painted but I just couldn't so I sold them instead............odd indeed! :p:D

This is one of the Traditon sets I sold years ago and some Sarum Soldiers Wild West figures.

Jeff

Attachments

• Naval4.7.jpg
    Naval4.7.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Wild West.JPG
    Wild West.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 129
Jeff
great paint work and have to say just look straight out of the box. great job.
Would Sarum describe these been 'factory painted' ???

My only concern and guess you would probably agree also been a matt collector, is the light reflection gloss gives off. Although excellent painted and no doubt more prominent, my own opinion I think detracts from realism of matt otherwise why bother intricate painting re highlighting shading etc, when is overshadowed by light reflection.
Each to their own I suppose. We all collect what we enjoy collecting and is undoubtedly great support for the gloss painted figs..so maybe I'm talking nonsense.

Would suppose majority of quality (and average like me) painters would have started out or dabbled in smaller wargaming figs firstly. I did guess you probably started here somewhere, just as I did.
Seems a logical progression from the 20+mm's upto the larger 50+mm's, added with a little nostalgia also. 'Back in the day'
I think the wargaming stuff definitely gets you hooked on the hobby, and afterwards we all return back to our childhood somewhere and begin collecting again

Anyway Jeff keep up the great work and will keep lookout for your other pics and threads
Many thanks
Nigel

Jeff
great paint work and have to say just look straight out of the box. great job.
Would Sarum describe these been 'factory painted' ???

My only concern and guess you would probably agree also been a matt collector, is the light reflection gloss gives off. Although excellent painted and no doubt more prominent, my own opinion I think detracts from realism of matt otherwise why bother intricate painting re highlighting shading etc, when is overshadowed by light reflection.
Each to their own I suppose. We all collect what we enjoy collecting and is undoubtedly great support for the gloss painted figs..so maybe I'm talking nonsense.

Would suppose majority of quality (and average like me) painters would have started out or dabbled in smaller wargaming figs firstly. I did guess you probably started here somewhere, just as I did.
Seems a logical progression from the 20+mm's upto the larger 50+mm's, added with a little nostalgia also. 'Back in the day'
I think the wargaming stuff definitely gets you hooked on the hobby, and afterwards we all return back to our childhood somewhere and begin collecting again

Anyway Jeff keep up the great work and will keep lookout for your other pics and threads
Many thanks
Nigel

Nigel,

There is certainly something about a gloss figure that "Gets you" if you know what I mean...........for me it's the enamel thinners! ;):D Only joking! Hic! :D

Thanks

Jeff

I haven't seen this thread so far and I'm thus maybe a bit late.
But I have to testify on the great paint jobs made but Jeff and that the praises made by other forum members are amply merited !
Michel

Yes ive seen some of Jeffs work and is brilliant. But Jeff only paints in gloss whereas I was looking for matt painter. but thanks anyway

Mitch does repaints K&C etc in matt.
If I dont paint up myself will send to Mitch for him to do for me. But maybe I will find time to do myself yet? Is no rush. is the hobby we're all in

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back