Uniforms of the North West Mounted Police (1 Viewer)

johnnybach

Major General
Having recently been involved with making up a Band of the RCMP, A few friends have been giving me ideas on where I might look next in the Canadian Police area, for ideas to convert into toy soldiers. One such idea was given to me below by trooper - who advised that the 9 pounder gun team below was soon to be made available as a casting by Asset Miniatures(UK).

Another idea was given to me by Martin Tabony - who wondered if I might be interested in the North West Mounted Police - the early predecessors of todays Mounties.

rcmpgt.jpg

Now here, I ran into a potential stumbling block. The above picture shows the mounted drivers wearing the familiar Mounties hat - whereas martin had advised me that these early semi-military style police, wore a military style uniform, with a white helmet!

So - who was right?

After a bit of a search - I believe that I may have come up with the answer. I found this site, which gives a concise history of the foundation of the force - and an insight into the general unpopularity of the white cork helmet, and the general wearing of the felt stetson type hat - which eventually became the standard uniform, much later on.

Read on - highly recommended

www.militaryheritage.com/nwmp.htm

johnnybach

You could've just asked!:D I do like Bob Marrion's work though. You should see his Imperial German stuff.

Martin

Nah! I like to do a bit of detective work myself sometimes Martin.

By the way - that web-site has some excellent stuff on swords, armour helmets etc etc.
johnnybach

Johnny,

2 nil to you so far on this part of the forum. ;):D

Regarding the gun team, I say go for it asap as it would compliment your excellent band no end. :cool:

:)

Jeff

Use it - or lose it?

Snag is - I have just put in an order for the Highland Party discussed as number one here. I already have a bit of a stockpile building up - and I want another WW1 Gun team first Jeff. I don't like too many jobs mounting up - stops it being fun then - if you know what I mean?

Will mark it down as a "sometime later" one - but you are right - it would look good behind the Mountie Band. Makes you wonder what sort of cops they were though. Seven pounder cannons? Wouldn't want to get a parking ticket from them!!
johnnybach;)

Reference the Mountie's gun team. The photograph shows the demonstration team at Regina c. 1970 The gun they are pulling is one of the original guns, so, the answer is they are modern police with an old gun, therefore the uniform is modern but the gun ain't. Trooper

Aha! - the article didn't make that clear - and as it was faded - it MIGHT have been an old one.

SO - one or both of the original gun team members COULD have been wearing the official white cork helmet. OR could have slung them in the back of the chuck wagon - as the book excerpt suggests, and be wearing the felt stetsons they appear to have preferred.

Do you know how Asset intend to portray them trooper? I think that I would prefer the helmets - as intended. Incidentally, the uniform portrayed in the excerpt looks very striking indeed, don't you think?

Lastly, due to the copyright warning underneath the photo - do you think that this might be the safest way to handle "posting" pictures like it for the future? I'm a bit new to this sort of thing - so would value a few views on the subject. johnnybach

Asset will be portaying them as per the photo with Stetsons. The gun team will be at the walk with whips held out over the shoulders of the off horses. If you wish to portray the older gun team you will have to convert the harness to collar type. Don't know where you get this "copyright warning" from. There is nothing on the photograph or the following text indicating such a thing. Anyway it is my understanding that as long as no financial gain is intended or attempted then such reproduction for educational purposes is acceptable. Trooper

Hi trooper - thanks for clarifying the Asset offering.

I used the wrong term - it was not your photo I was referring to - it was the coloured drawing in the Internet piece that I posted - which states that reproduction without permission is prohibited.

I'm trying to think ahead a bit here. Say someone posts an illustration - and someone sues for breach of copyright? What's the best way around this eventuality? Has it ever happened to anyone on this forum? johnnybach

I know that on the Victorian Wars Forum they post old photos etc. all the time. Mainly because someone is trying to identify a uniform. On the other hand if an illustration is needed and the book is still published and the artist still alive, then giving details of the book is probably best. Ofcourse showing one or two pictures in order to show the style is fine I think. Personaly I've never been quite sure about old magazine articles, obviously years out of print but the company still active?

Martin

Sounds a bit like - follow your own best instincts - so I think that's what I'll continue doing then. I'm guessing that MOST people who have published a book of uniforms, say - WOULD take exception if one was to post 50% of it - but one pic to clarify a point would probably be tolerated.

Just a thought I had.

johnnybach

If it's not torerated, we'll have a job showing uniforms!:D:salute::

Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back