Valuation re: Hand-Painted (1 Viewer)

nigelhaywood123

Private 2
How do you value hand-painted figures and scenery??
I am thinking can double that of unpainted?
Any ideas??
Thanks
Nigel

When you say how do you value is that for resale or, is it for your own value expectations of what your own collection.

Different anwsers to these questions as the former would depend greatly on what your painting skills are and the latter is speculative to say the least.

I do some painting but, have seen some sites offering painting at $10 per mm and, for me, they were not that well painted
Mitch

Mitch,
Most of my figures are unpainted plastic, tssd, conte, etc of which I've painted up to reasonable average standards. I also have quite a few k&c and figarti 'premium' figures, and FOV figures.

but, if you take the unpainted tssd german longcoat figures for example, tssd also released factory painted versions 'soldiers of the world' of the same. Ok were painted up but were not brilliant.
From memory I think the unpainted set around £13 and the painted around £23. Not quite double but near.

I think my hand painted are superior to that of factory released tssd and would at very least be valued the same as.
With this reasoning I will suggest painted are valued at minimum, double that of unpainted, as valuation benchmark.
and very high quality painted, valued up to even treble that of unpainted.
Applying this logic to all scenics/accessories also.

What do you think??? is logical?

Thanks, Nigel:D

I think for insuarance purposes you have to have your figures that you have painted at the highest valuation as, they are unique hand painted figures and, as such, would command a premium.

I see where you are coming from and think you have it sorted quite logically.

I repaint K&C and other manufacturers and, the people who have them class them as one off pieces and, as I certificate them it adds to their value for insuarance purposes.

Not quite sure what their market value would be as I do not do it as a business per se and, some collectors are funny about repaints and some are not. I know treefrog did some sales from one of the customers but, do not now so, it may not be a viable thing.

You should post some of your figures sometime
Mitch

Mitch
do you paint in matt??
was looking out for a matt painter, and recommended with Jeff (aujj) who unfortunately only paints in gloss. His paint jobs were top drawer.
K&C is matt, yes?? have you got any pics/threads of?

recently bought some more tssd german longcoats to continue with my FOV dio display collection, and will be needing painting soon.
maybe getting some more tssd german elite force aswell.
My paint jobs are ok (mediocre) and in keeping with factory painted FOV, but thinking pro painted figs for displays from now on in.

Also was enquiring with foamscenes about. They not got time and advising looking for painter(s) also?? maybe something here for you?

Thanks
Nigel

I do paint in Matt and do gloss every now and then. I have some busts and stuff but have not taken pics of them as never thought about it and, they are now in the loft for lack of space. I will be posting tommorow in the suggestions some AK king and country figures in matt to Totenkopf figures so, watch for them. If I can help I will as I enjoy doing the stuff
Mitch
Mitch
do you paint in matt??
was looking out for a matt painter, and recommended with Jeff (aujj) who unfortunately only paints in gloss. His paint jobs were top drawer.
K&C is matt, yes?? have you got any pics/threads of?

recently bought some more tssd german longcoats to continue with my FOV dio display collection, and will be needing painting soon.
maybe getting some more tssd german elite force aswell.
My paint jobs are ok (mediocre) and in keeping with factory painted FOV, but thinking pro painted figs for displays from now on in.

Also was enquiring with foamscenes about. They not got time and advising looking for painter(s) also?? maybe something here for you?

Thanks
Nigel

I do paint in Matt and do gloss every now and then. I have some busts and stuff but have not taken pics of them as never thought about it and, they are now in the loft for lack of space. I will be posting tommorow in the suggestions some AK king and country figures in matt to Totenkopf figures so, watch for them. If I can help I will as I enjoy doing the stuff
Mitch

Mitch
will definitely watch out for!!
and am sure can definitely paint some figs up for me sometime. Will get back in touch later on regarding.
Like you I also realy enjoy the painting side, but just sometimes lacking the time, and with a little bit of impatience thrown into the mix

Did you contact the foamscenes re their painting???

thanks

No as I have no details off them. Did someone mention they were not a company just a brand? so, I do not know who to contact.
Mitch

Mitch
will definitely watch out for!!
and am sure can definitely paint some figs up for me sometime. Will get back in touch later on regarding.
Like you I also realy enjoy the painting side, but just sometimes lacking the time, and with a little bit of impatience thrown into the mix

Did you contact the foamscenes re their painting???

thanks

Nigel...

Ignore my last post as I was thinking of something completely different, different company on my mind and and was having what my wife calls my blonde moments. I have tentatively contacted Foamscenes asking what they are after and should I be able to assist
Mitch

No as I have no details off them. Did someone mention they were not a company just a brand? so, I do not know who to contact.
Mitch

Nigel...

Ignore my last post as I was thinking of something completely different, different company on my mind and and was having what my wife calls my blonde moments. I have tentatively contacted Foamscenes asking what they are after and should I be able to assist
Mitch

Mitch
Your blonde moments? was this moment re Formtech by any chance. I just posted out couple new threads today re their existance, and maybe you refering to these thread?? the mystery of formtech?

I am sure Foamscenes will get back to you and be able to sort you out lots of painting work from what they advising to me. I think is getting some models produced from mould and then needing painting after. Sounds like exciting stuff.
I'm in contact with them every few days recently (probably getting sick of site of me by now. maybe its time to get my credit card back out)

Nigel

Nigel...

Problems of reading to many posts and trying to remember all the different stuff. Again, in a state of calm and relative intelligence. sounds interesting stuff from foam scenes

Cheers for the heads up.
Mitch
Mitch
Your blonde moments? was this moment re Formtech by any chance. I just posted out couple new threads today re their existance, and maybe you refering to these thread?? the mystery of formtech?

I am sure Foamscenes will get back to you and be able to sort you out lots of painting work from what they advising to me. I think is getting some models produced from mould and then needing painting after. Sounds like exciting stuff.
I'm in contact with them every few days recently (probably getting sick of site of me by now. maybe its time to get my credit card back out)

Nigel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back