What are the Forum members reading (1 Viewer)

I'm reading "The Good Regiment"a history of the Carignan-Salieres regiment in Canada 1665-1668 and Wilderness Empire byAllan W.Eckert.
Mark

Reading "Knights: Noble Warrior of England 1200-1600" by Christopher Gravett" - which is an excellent source book on information for this subject. I think it's an Osprey publication - and encompasses four of their smaller volumes - with one Chapter for each of the centuries covered. With plenty of illustrations and pictures in the 285 pages - it's a great source book for painters of knights - or just about anyone interested in the subject.

I'm reading a copy borrowed from my local library at the moment - but it's so good - I've just bought a copy online to add to my own modest library, on the subject. I think my copy is going to get well thumbed. :D jb

In spirit with the WW1 anniversary, I have received 1 new book and have several others on order. The 1 received is 'Collision of Empires: The War on the Eastern Front in 1914', written by Prit Buttar. It is 472 pages long and published by Osprey. This is the first of 3 projected volumes about WW1 on the Eastern Front, and, IMO, very badly needed. There is very little about the Eastern Front in English, so a new general history is most welcome. Just got it today so I haven't done more than examine it yet, but it covers more than just the Russo-German front. Austro-Hungary and Serbia also are covered.
The others I have ordered are 'Prelude to Blitzkrieg: The 1916 Austro-German Campaign in Romania', by Michael Barrett, 'Alvin York: A New Biography of the Hero of the Argonne', by Douglas Mastriano, and 'A Mad Catastrophe: The Outbreak of World War 1 and the Collapse of the Hapsburg Empire', by Geoffrey Wawro. As you see, 2 of these 3 are also Eastern Front related. -- Al
Have read and very much enjoyed the new book about Alvin York by Mastriano. It is very well done with info I had never known. Very good detail on the various military actions of York, not just the action of 10/8/18 for which he was awarded the CMH. The author scoured the battlefield, discovering forensic evidence of the CMH action, proving locations and weapons used. He confirms the use of the Colt .45 ACP and the 1917 Enfield by York and also details the other soldiers in the action with him, even the names of the enemy officers and their actions. Well worth reading. -- Al

In spirit with the WW1 anniversary, I have received 1 new book and have several others on order. The 1 received is 'Collision of Empires: The War on the Eastern Front in 1914', written by Prit Buttar. It is 472 pages long and published by Osprey. This is the first of 3 projected volumes about WW1 on the Eastern Front, and, IMO, very badly needed. There is very little about the Eastern Front in English, so a new general history is most welcome. Just got it today so I haven't done more than examine it yet, but it covers more than just the Russo-German front. Austro-Hungary and Serbia also are covered.
The others I have ordered are 'Prelude to Blitzkrieg: The 1916 Austro-German Campaign in Romania', by Michael Barrett, 'Alvin York: A New Biography of the Hero of the Argonne', by Douglas Mastriano, and 'A Mad Catastrophe: The Outbreak of World War 1 and the Collapse of the Hapsburg Empire', by Geoffrey Wawro. As you see, 2 of these 3 are also Eastern Front related. -- Al
Thanks to the generosity and kindness of Brad (Jazzeum), I now have a copy of Wawro's 'A Mad Catastrophe'. My book club never sent the copy I had ordered and now I don't need it, thanks to Brad. It promises to be a very interesting read. -- Al

I've just started Richard Holmes' Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket

Just picked up a good one, "Pacific Payback: The Carrier Aviators Who Avenged Pearl Harbor at the Battle of Midway", by Stephen Moore. It is a very specific story of two Douglas Dauntless squadrons, Scouting Squadron Six (VS-6) and Bombing Squadron Six (VB-6) of the USS Enterprise. It is very well researched and even identifies each crewman to the aircraft they flew in during specific actions. It follows the squadrons from the outbreak of the war through Midway and provides a terrific view of the battles from individual POV's. The detail of squadron OPs is superb. -- Al

Just finished Tranter's William Wallace which is great. Very interesting to compare to Braveheart which is definitely a stylized and mythologized version of the story. Some of Wallace's exploits actually make what is portrayed in the movie pale in comparison I understand the changes they made since it was trying to make a point rather than tell a close rendition of the history like Tranter.

Now on to his Bruce Trilology which started a little slow and choppy, but is now becoming even better than the Wallace story. The beginning of the Bruce Trilogy actually overlaps with the Wallace story so you get the same story from both characters' viewpoints. Really like this aspect.

Very historical fiction in that the characters were all real people and players in the event. In the Wallace book, the English really do get a negative brush. In the Bruce Trilogy there is much more nuance as Bruce could interact with them as an equal rather than the lowly Wallace who had a purely antagonistic relationship with them.

I'm currently reading Gettysburg The Last Invasion by Allen Guelzo; yes, yet another book on Gettysburg.

That said, it's a great read so far..................

Hi Guys

Some interesting books listed here. Here is the one I am currently reading Victory At Peleliu The 81st Infantry Division's Pacific Campaign. By Blair and DeCioccio

Pretty interesting book that details the 81st Wildcats in the pacific wont get to deep into details here but will say its well worth reading fills in a lot of details left out of the Marine Corps accounts.

DAve

I'm currently reading Gettysburg The Last Invasion by Allen Guelzo; yes, yet another book on Gettysburg.

That said, it's a great read so far..................
I enjoyed it. You can never have, or read, too many books about Gettysburg.^&cool -- Al

"1632" by Flint. If you started collecting the new "Pike and Musket" by K&C, it's an interesting read, alternate history. I read this book every few years and never get tired of it. Just bought a leather bound copy of it, autographed by the author...

I haven't updated my posts here in a while, so I'm not sure where I left off. A couple of books on the siege of Yorktown and Cornwallis' campaign in the South, and a book on France's North American colonies from their founding to the end of the Seven Years War. I also reread "The Last Stand of the Tin-Can Sailors". The past couple of days, I devoured Ambrose's "Citizen Soldiers" and I have "The Victors: Eisenhower and His Boys" queued up (though on skimming through it, it seems to have a lot of the same content as "Citizen Soldiers"), but today, I commemorate the attack on Pearl Harbor by reading Walter Lord's "Day of Infamy".

Prost!
Brad

I am currently reading John Lundberg's 'Granbury's Texas Brigade: Diehard Western Confederates'. Interesting history on how the brigade developed into something of a 'shock' brigade for the Army of Tennessee. -- Al

I m reading again " General ss" a novel by Sven Hassel, invented,but based on a real background, easy reading...

Just finished to read an excellent novel by Patrick Rambaud: "La Bataille" (The Battle) which gives like a very lively report of the battle of Aspern-Essling where Napoleon had his first major military setback. More on the synopsis of this book at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_(novel)

I picked this book up at a local used bookstore for less than $1 a couple years ago. I didn't expect much from it, but I was presently surprised.

I've recently developed an interest in the American Civil War and over the holidays I have finished/currently reading Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin, Copperhead: The Nathaniel Starbuck Chronicles: Book Two by Bernard Cornwell, and The Killer Angels: A Novel of the Civil War Novel by Michael Shaara. So far I have enjoyed all of these! I hope everyone else has had lots of time to read over the holiday season.
Cheers,
Brendan

I am re-reading the battle of Guadacanal by Eric Hammel. This is a trilogy about the land,sea and carrier battles around Guadacanal. One of my favorite reads along with Franks book on Guadacanal. J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back