What figures do you collect (3 Viewers)

REDCAP1959

Private 2
Just wondered what every one else collects. I started collecting toy soldiers about 10 years ago. I have the Del Prado Men at war, Napoleon, Napoleon Cavalry, plus a lot of the medieval figures as well as the Lord of the rings collection by eaglemoss approx 450 figures in total. Of course these are all matte figures but they led me to my main love which is of course glossy toy soldiers. I collect anything WWI by Tommy Atkins or Fusilier. I also have a few of the Premier sets by Britains. Also bought a few of the boxer rebellion sets from SOW mixed with little legion red coated british infantry and king and country buildings and figures from their streets of old hong kong range to add a bit of colour. In the future i hope to get some of the french king and country buildings for my WWI figures. I have approx 200 glossy figures. Painted some Asset and Sarum castings of victorian civilians which turned out ok but i prefer to buy prepainted figures. I buy figures off ebay when funds allow usually only about four or five figures a month so i am very much a small time collector. I have been lucky enough to get to the London show a few times over the years which i really enjoy. Would love have to have collected the original king and country glossies and hopefully someday that might revisit a few of their original ranges. I have not bought a matte figure in years but the new Dickens figures could change that

I collect Britains Clash of Empire range plus 54mm FIW figure kits.I also collect 1/56 (28-30mm) FIW figures more proportion figures than wargames figures.Over the years I have collected Conte ACW,vikings and Romans,Britains ACW,KC's crusaders and John Jenkins FIW.I'm interested in almost any period from the Romans until WWI.
Mark

Staying with glossies, I collect Steadfast, Wessex, Dorset, Hiart, Hockers, and most any cottage industry or home crafted maker that is shiny enough to catch my eye..Those are the figures, as to vehicles and such, Heco aircraft, The Metal Shed vehicles..Michael

Sorry I didn't realize this was in the glossy section.
Mark

Similar to Maddadicas but also AQM, Frontline Glossy and old Britains.............

Hi Redcap,

My collection is quite diverse and includes both matte and glossy figures. However, I lean toward the glossy figures as my favorites. The glossy figures I collect are:

1.) Beau Geste - I have a fairly extensive collection of the BG Delhi Durbar series. I also have a few of the BG bands from other eras and events.
2.) Britains - The two main Britains glossy series I collect are the glossy Delhi Durbar series and the glossy Rorke's Drift.
3.) Marlborough - My emphasis with the Marlborough figures is almost exclusively the Delhi Durbar.
4.) Monarch Regalia - My collection of the Monarch Samurai is complete and I am now collecting "the Procession" series.
5.) Tedtoy - I collect Ted's ACW camp scenes.
6.) Trophy - The Boxer Rebellion range and the Mexican-American War series.
7.) William Hocker - Presently I collect the Imperial Durbar, American West, and Boxer Rebellion.

I have a few other glossy figures produced by other manufacturers (Hiriart, Frontline, Steadfast, etc.), but I do not have any extensive collection of figures produced by these makers.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

I like a gloss finish, but I also like a figure that has more detail than a classic toy soldier. I also cast and paint my own. I collect Seven Years War and Imperial Germany, so I look for Staddens/Tradition, Rose (Russell Gammage), Imrie-Risley, Scheid, Bussler, Phoenix, Puchala, Peipp, Rylit, and other makers I can't even remember now. For finished figures, I collect Guard Corps' Alexander Grenadier series, since they fit in with the rest of my collection so well, and Fred Klotz' old Present Arms! line.

I also collect King-White/Reeves figures, from their entire catalog, because I like the look and I like how these were still being produced as toys, when in the West, metal figures as toys had hit that low point between the time when metal figures were mass-produced as toys, and the rise of metal figures as collectibles.

Prost!
Brad

I collect custom painted gloss figures, like you can see in the "Collections" section on the bottom of the forum page under the thread "kogu's "John Firth" collection.
Also, when certain figures I like, do not come in gloss, I make them gloss ^&grin, like these East of India figures, showing the Toyotomi Hideoshi command set.

If I ever would be asked to make a choice between matte and glossy finished figures, the decision will be for glossy :wink2:

Happy Collecting!

Konrad

Attachments

• PB-029-F.jpg
    PB-029-F.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 244
  • PB-030-F.jpg
    PB-030-F.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 243
  • PB-31-F.jpg
    PB-31-F.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 242
  • PB-032-F.jpg
    PB-032-F.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 243
  • PB-035-F.jpg
    PB-035-F.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 235
The answer to this question, for me, is anything Glossy that I like and can afford - though usually the things that I buy come as castings - eventually to be converted to a Glossy Toy Soldier finish - 'cos that's the way I like them. I often say that my hobby is really painting - and collecting just comes as an added bonus.

I also like to buy older figures - sometimes in need of a little Tender Loving Care (TLC) - in the shape of repairs, conversions and/or repaint. Some of the figures that find their way to me - are often older than me - and sometimes in excess of 100 years plus! Hardly surprising then that they may have encountered a few bumps along the way.:D

By genre - I like to collect and paint Knights of Old , Cowboys and Native Americans, Military Bands and Colour Parties - (with my favourite era being the Victorian) - and then - anything else that catches my eye - regardless of what they are - such as Flats, which I sometimes flirt with. I cheerfully admit to being a bit of a magpie, in what I like.

I might add that due to punitive import taxes and postal charges for figures purchased from overseas - which are getting to be ridiculous - and can frequently double the price of the goods originally ordered, once you tot up the costs - I mostly confine my purchases to UK suppliers now - and collect them personally, wherever possible. As an added bonus, the human contact encountered at collection time - can often result in friendships - and enhanced knowledge of products and techniques being made.;) jb

I collect Gloss painted parade figures for the following themes;
1.Trooping the Colour - W Britain, Ducal (parade markers), MKL, S&S and W Britain Ceremonial Collection conversions (regimental bands other then Cold Stream Guards).
2.Coronation Procession 1953 - W Britain, ASSET, DUCAL (street liners), S&S, Tradition of London, RP World Models and W Britain Ceremonial Collection conversions.
3.British regiments on parade - W Britain, ASSET, DUCAL, Front Line Figures, RP World Models and W Britain Ceremonial Collection conversions.
4.Regiments of the world - W Britain, Dorset Soldiers, DUCAL, ASSET and W Britain Ceremonial Collection conversions.
5.Bands of the world - W Britain, Colonial Factor, RP World Models and W Britain Ceremonial Collection conversions.
6.Military Academies/Schools of the world - W Britain, DUCAL, G&W and Hiriart.
7.Delhi Durbar 1903 - W Britain, Tradition of London, Replica Models, King Cast and Beau Geste.
8.Trooping the Colours Bangkok - W Britain Ceremonial Collection conversions.

I started this hobby when I was 5 years old and received my first Britain, a Scots Guards Officer marching sheeted sword. I'm now 68 and still collecting. My wife is asking me often "Are you still not done?" and that's so. I always come up with new ideas for a new theme. Can't help it. Its in my genes.

Peter

I collect WBritains "Redcoats" and "Bluecoats" from the Napoleonic and War of 1812 era. I also collect Scott J. Dummit Presents' "Pride of the Nation," which are mostly modern Canadian Armed Forces ceremonial figures but also include the Fort Henry Guard. When I was nice, I got my first set of toy soldiers, which was a set of marching RMC cadets made by Scott.
Cheers,
Brendan

Since this is a glossy thread, I collect

King & Country Glossy, except Streets of Hong Kong; never took the plunge with that.
Trophy - Not everything. Focus on Crimea, the Wild West, Mexican War, Alamo, Civil War and Town & Country. I have a smattering of Egypt & Sudan, about eight sets.

Imperial Productions, to me they are the best, period.

Paulo

When I have the money or opportunity, I add a Somerset figure here and there to my collection. I also have some of the excellent Soldiers of the World Indian Lancers and some of the Britains Premier WW1 sets. -- Al

Somerset is top stuff, the best glossies, in my opinion, made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back