What is a big TS collection? (1 Viewer)

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

And along this line of reasoning (and hopefully supporting it)...

What is a toy soldier collection anyhow?

I must preface my comments a bit. I am autistic and therefore by nature very literal.

Many (most?) figures produced today are not toys and are not meant to be played with by children. They are contrived collectibles of limited production, replete with decorative boxes, foam padding, and are probably more correctly termed historical miniatures. This means they are not really toy soldiers and a collector of them does not have a toy soldier collection.

But what does this mean exactly?

I have been told by TS dealers (the ones who will actually take the time to reply to messages - this is a real sore spot and I bet would make for an interesting thread) that I am not a "real" collector because I buy single soldiers rather than sets and that it is not worth their time to take my $30 order, despite taking the time to list the item I want for sale in their inventory. I have been told this more than once.

I have not the space or desire to display boxes and sets (not judging or faulting those who do). I do not want to see 10 of the same soldier. If a set has an officer, flag bearer and eight troopers then I want just one of each - it saves space and it's easier to admire each for its individual qualities. All of my Mignot have pet names. I can point to my very first Mignot acquisition (a well-played-with mounted Marshall Ney that I found at a local antique show). He has his own stand high above his counterparts. It's both an homage and a reminder to me of why the rest are there and what they represent.

Do I have a TS collection? Is it a big collection now at around 100 pieces? Not according to dealers, but I suppose it really depends whom you ask.

People often ask me how big my collection is - but I can't give them an accurate figure - because I have never counted them. Why should I? I'm not interested in numbers - I like most of my collection as individual pieces - because I've either constructed, painted or repaired them (or all three) myself (mostly).

I don't really count myself as "a collector" either. I prefer restorer, repairer , refurbisher etc., so they aren't really a collection either - they are just things that I've done up myself - and can't bear to part with.

Size doesn't matter - regardless of what some may say:rolleyes: jb

I agree size is not important, it is how it is used that matters. I build dioramas and photograph them to share on the forum. I am a student of Military History from the siege of Troy to the 2nd Iraq War and I like to use figures and dioramas to reconstruct historic battles.

Why are we discussing the importance of size of a collection. Having the most doesn’t make it the best and I sometimes have the impression that people feel that.

To me, size isn’t important. A small collection can be just as rewarding as a larger one.

I agree that size doesn't matter. What matters - at least to me - is to gather pieces that you can enjoy looking at every day. In a way I see TS as a form of art like paintings, etc.

While I have thousands of figures and vehicles I never thought of it as a competition. I bought what i liked and what I could afford. I happen to get a kick out of settling up large dioramas and war games. Many of my figures were bought at a time when prices were relatively lower, many I have painted myself and some are more historical miniatures than toy soldiers.
I do collect Asian art as both enjoyable and as an investment. I never considered my toy soldier, military miniature collection as an investment but I do sell some from time to time.
We compete in school, sports and business....our "hobby" should be just that, something to enjoy, learn and teach.

To add a bit of complexity to the question, between two collectors, given the following criteria, who would be the bigger collector?

Keeping it simple for the example.:D

COLLECTOR A: Has 500 figures priced at $20 / figure?

COLLECTOR B: Has 20 figures priced at $500 / figure?

Is a plastic collector with 10,000's of figures considered a bigger collector than an Fine Russian Figure collector with 1,000 figures?

As in all questions like these, I doubt there can be a consensus on the word "BIG"

In my days writing operating systems for Microsoft, I used two programming languages named "Prolog" and "LISP"
They dealt with a field called "Fuzzy Logic."

For example, I say John (who is 6 feet in height) is tall. That might be true when compared to Bob (who is 5 feet in height).
But, John is short when compared to an NBA player. The point is, to say big or small, tall or short, hot or cold is never an absolute.

It must be defined by a set of boundaries or rules. So in these conversations all points must be considered a "Fuzzy" boundary or limit.

The lesson has ended ... (THANK GOODNESS) {sm4}

--- LaRRY (Ex-nerd)

You're confusing the two.

The question is not what your collection is worth/what you spent on it, but how big is it, ie, how many figures in total do you have?

If collector A has 500 figures he spent 100.00 each on and collector B has 5,000 figures he spent 5.00 each on, collector A's collection is worth more/he spent more, but collector B has more figures.

There's nothing "fuzzy" about it, it's black and white, no grey area.

While I have thousands of figures and vehicles I never thought of it as a competition. I bought what i liked and what I could afford. I happen to get a kick out of settling up large dioramas and war games. Many of my figures were bought at a time when prices were relatively lower, many I have painted myself and some are more historical miniatures than toy soldiers.
I do collect Asian art as both enjoyable and as an investment. I never considered my toy soldier, military miniature collection as an investment but I do sell some from time to time.
We compete in school, sports and business....our "hobby" should be just that, something to enjoy, learn and teach.

Unfortunately, I have seen posts on here, borrowing the regrettable expression that “he who dies with the most toys wins.” That’s an attitude that makes it all about greed.

The question is not what your collection is worth/what you spent on it, but how big is it, ie, how many figures in total do you have?

If collector A has 500 figures he spent 100.00 each on and collector B has 5,000 figures he spent 5.00 each on, collector A's collection is worth more/he spent more, but collector B has more figures.

Bingo.

Ah well, then a wargamer is most likely going to hold the title - thousands of hand-painted miniatures that originally cost 50 cents but really are toy soldiers because they are made for play. What could be more black and white? :)

Ah well, then a wargamer is most likely going to hold the title - thousands of hand-painted miniatures that originally cost 50 cents but really are toy soldiers because they are made for play. What could be more black and white? :)

Correct.

I have about 20,000 20mm Napoleonics, ACW, Franco Prussian War and WWII wargaming figures, all hand painted, they cost anywhere from .10 cents each to 2.00 each, not a huge investment, but a huge number........................

Correct.

I have about 20,000 20mm Napoleonics, ACW, Franco Prussian War and WWII wargaming figures, all hand painted, they cost anywhere from .10 cents each to 2.00 each, not a huge investment, but a huge number........................
Well done. It really is a large and ever expanding hobby when we stop trying to put it into a small box. I have many memories of the fun days war gaming. And there are so many new avenues opening daily that warrant exploring; one hardly has the time to keep up. What a great hobby!

Unfortunately, I have seen posts on here, borrowing the regrettable expression that “he who dies with the most toys wins.” That’s an attitude that makes it all about greed.

Come on, that's a bit harsh on fellow collectors isn't it ?

Just because collectors are interested in how big collections are I don't think it means per se that there is a dysfunctional morality like greed at the root. I would say it's just about an interest in the scope of the hobby. Much the same as the thread in this section on how many collectors there are in the world. Isn't that why both this thread and the thread on numbers of collectors get a 5 star rating on the forum....... because they address big questions on scope that are intrinsically interesting?

I don't believe there are collectors who think it's a competition. it's the passion for history which drives us all.

Best
Andrew

Come on, that's a bit harsh on fellow collectors isn't it ?

Just because collectors are interested in how big collections are I don't think it means per se that there is a dysfunctional morality like greed at the root. I would say it's just about an interest in the scope of the hobby. Much the same as the thread in this section on how many collectors there are in the world. Isn't that why both this thread and the thread on numbers of collectors get a 5 star rating on the forum....... because they address big questions on scope that are intrinsically interesting?

I don't believe there are collectors who think it's a competition. it's the passion for history which drives us all.

Best
Andrew

I wasn’t addressing all collectors but those who have the attitude, unless you feel you are one of those. So no, it’s not harsh at all.

Practically every thread gets a five star rating, for whatever that’s worth.

Speaking from experience, I have met some collectors over the years who do think it’s a ompetition and go by the unfortunate adage that I mentioned.

I wasn’t addressing all collectors but those who have the attitude, unless you feel you are one of those. So no, it’s not harsh at all.

Practically every thread gets a five star rating, for whatever that’s worth.

Speaking from experience, I have met some collectors over the years who do think it’s a ompetition and go by the unfortunate adage that I mentioned.

I don't think there's a morality tale here.
Feel you are reading too much into it.

The usual "whats it worth "from non hobbyists seeing the collection

Agree, its interest and passion we all have and enhpy talking and seeing other passionate collectors collection, I my myself love the hobby have a dedicated room for it, and mate and collectors enjoy seeing it and talking about figues etc etc

all the best to all

we collect because we love history

Users who are viewing this thread

Back