What would be your ideal Toy soldier Show? (1 Viewer)

B

Bob Neville

If you could describe your ideal Toy Soldier Show what would it be like?
Would it be large with lots of traders or a small informal affair?
How often should it/they be? Where should it/they be?
Plastic, old lead, new lead all under one roof?
Should military modelling be included? Free beer? :D
Come on 'kids in a candy store'............just let yourself dream and let the rest of us know what your dream is! :)

Free wine would be nice but I'd settle for some iced water.

Now I'm not sure as to whether this is a good idea but if you're trying to tie in new dimensions to the traditional toy soldier show then why not try to use the new 'K&C unpainted' as a means of getting teenagers involved? At present I seem to be unable to move in a hobby shop without a crowd of 15 year olds passing me by with armfuls of paint and brushes to paint some sort of murder death orc thingys. Mention 'toy soldier' to them and they give you a curious look as to whether there could be any possible association between painting white metal miniatures and their everyday hobby, perhaps a vague nod as to whether it's something they might do if it were for their grandads as birthday presents but not something contemplated before as something in itself.

I'm sure there must be some way of getting them to cross-over, even if it were just for a competition of sorts held to co-incide with the December toy soldier show and to tempt some to try something different in that manner.

Just a suggestion, I'm sure there'll be plenty more in this thread.

OTSN is fine with me. Maybe 2 shows a year, but that could take some of the anticipation away.
Whoever suggested free beer would make it perfect.
Gary

Have a jeep or a tank that you can take pictures in. Also maybe a raffle for some toy soldiers.

Well what i look for at a fair(as well as the wife's credit card!)is as much info as poss.Leaflets/prices/whats going to be retired and the ability to be able to ask questions.Its one of the things i like about K&C that they don't mind you asking questions on the day even though they are busy.Some stallholders want your money and then seem to want you to move away quickly.Its great when you leave a fair to come home with some idea of your future strategy for collecting.

As cannon fodder said above free liquid of some sort is always welcome,the last fair i went to in London was really warm in there.I like seeing the Re-enactors as G.I's/Tommies/Romans but must confess to not being sure if i like seeing the Nazi re-enactors or not.Am undecided on that,can see both points of view.

I also think i am much more likely to buy stuff when i see it in a good diorama,K&C's layout is so good and its sooooo hard to resist.Really liked the fall of Berlin one a while back.I also find that the people on the entry desk at the Royal national London always polite and helpful.So to sum up for me:

Plenty of info,plenty of refreshment,lots of fun.

Take the Tank photo op a bit further with say a ride or even better a round down range! But alas I doubt we could find too many collectors that would want to part with the 76mm rounds they have hidden away. So I think a raffle for some of the newest sets from the participants like Beau Gestes latest Elephant from the Durbar or maybe a nice complete Normady Set from King and Country. I bet they would be able to sell a ton of tickets for those sets. But I would also like to see the old and the new together so we can try and fill holes in our collections. They did a raffle of sorts at one of the Britains Collectors Dinners a few years ago and gave away some very nice pieces so I dont see why the OTSB folks couldn't work up something similar.

Dave

I go to two toy soldier shows a year, OTSN in Chicago and a much smaller show in Indianapolis in March. OTSN has the advantage of being huge, but it is so big that it is virtually impossible to get around to every dealer. And, as others have mentioned in a different thread, the maze of rooms at the Hyatt is confusing, so it is easy to walk back into rooms you have already visited.

The Indy show is much more intimate, and I have gotten some of my best deals there. It is also much more relaxed. Because there are no crowds to fight, you can make a quick circuit of all the dealers, and then return for extended visits to--and negotiating sessions with--the ones that interest you most. And while there is room trading at Indy, it is usually only on Saturday, with the show on Sunday.

Because I live in Chicago, I am ideally situated for both shows. And the timing is right. When the Indy show arrives about six months after OTSN, I am ready for a fix!

Mike Bennett

Well, I can't speak from OTSN or other toy soldier events, but I am very familiar with gun shows, plastic model meets, and model train shows. Rather than the secretive world of room trading, I enjoy the idea of everyone in the hall for open, honest trading. I like the model shows or train events that have "how to" seminars, contests, and display space as well as vendors. Obviously the vendors are the big draw. I like the opportunity to see what's available and make purchases without wandering all over a hotel complex. I enjoy seeing new products and/or prototypes. As far as content, that's the advantage of a big open hall, I can see what each vendor offers. If he/she has lead Napoleonics or D&D figures then I move right along to the person with WW2 stuff that I want. As far as content, I find all toys interesting (I never grew up) but try to limit my spending to WW2, mostly Allied, mostly plastic (due to costs and the fact that I enjoy some customizing). My interest in customizing is why I like the idea of display areas. I could take a few items for "show and tell" and meet and exchange ideas with others who share my interests.

That's my ideas on a good toy/model show.

Gary

I think you have the wrong slant on room trading, Gary. For one thing, it's not an either-or situation. Toy soldier shows have both room trading and the open hall. Room trading takes place on the days leading up to the show, but the show itelf is the kind of "big open hall" event you prefer.

I have heard dealers say that the opportunity for room trading often determines whether or not they make a profit from the show. As a buyer rather than a seller, I like the extended hours room trading provides. Those who only attend OTSN on the day of the show will be hard pressed to see everything in the time allowed.

Another positive of room trading is that some of the larger dealers take a suite of rooms, and this often allows them more set-up area to display their products. I have seen enormous World War Two and Alamo dioramas that would not fit a vendor table at a show, but could be displayed in a room.

I would agree with you that "how to" and "show and tell" sessions would be a nice addition. These are often parts of shows designed for modellers as opposed to collectors, but since there is often no difference between them I think toy soldier show organizers might consider this.

Mike

Last edited:
I have to say that room trading is one of our favorite parts of the whole OTSN show weekend. The show itself is always crazy and chaotic and is geared more towards buying and selling. The room trading is much more relaxed, allowing us the chance to get to know customers better. Nobody would be able to hang out at a vendor's table for 1/2 hour, but they've been known to do that during room trading. Especially as an internet only business we relish the opportunity to meet customers (and this year, Forum members :) ).

For me personally, the ideal toy soldier show would be one that I would actually plan to attend; and then, be at. Any show. I have heard of the various shows for the past four or five years and still am not able to function sufficiently enough to plan and attend at least one, especially the Chicago Show.

Anyway -

As my wise old grandmother once told me when she tenderly held me in her arms when I was but a little babe rocking me gently on the front steps as the sun sets brightly in the west, "ya know Michael, there are the seven P's of life and you should always live your life by them."

So, with my childish eyes looking up to her for guidance in my young life, I said, "Pray tell Grandmother-of-mine, what are the 7 P's."

She looked at me wisely and said, "Why Grandson, they are something everyone should know and follow. They are positive planning prevents piss poor preformance - probabily."

I have yet to follow that wise woman's words. :)

Next year Michael!

Block off the whole week of the Chicago Show and put it on the top of your vacation list for next September and ask for it off now--there are also a variety of other good shows in various places throughout the year, you just happen to live closest to the biggest and best so you may as well go for it.
And if you still end up being scheduled for a work-related conference the last weekend in September, just suggest a good hotel such as the Hyatt-Regency in say, Schaumburg IL to have it at. :p

Shannon

Shannon, speaking of scheduling an event at the Hyatt Regency on the same weekend as the Chicago Show, have you ever seen the looks of horror on the faces of brides who happen to have their wedding reception on the same weekend? :eek:

And then there are the awkward elevator rides with our myriads of boxes of stock on two-wheelers with the couples in evening wear going to the wedding receptions. We always cart our stuff in ourselves and there seems to be no other elevators available than the main ones so away we go with the dressed to the hilt people. See you there!

Shannon

I actually scored some boxes from those wedding people which helped in the shipping process for mailing all my purchases back home ahead of me last year. Your right though,very awkward time to plan a wedding at the Hyatt with one of the largest Toy Soldier shows going on.It would be a bonus if you were a collector or invited to the wedding. Honey,look what I bought you.Its the new Limited Edition Tiger. :D

Woke up on my own at 0500 this morning, should be on the road by 0630 heading north to Schuamburg. I feel like an idiot 59 years old and I,m more excited than a 5 year old on Christmas morning.
OTSN this is my ideal show.
See you all in a matter of hours.
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back