Where are your local huntig grounds for Toy Soldiers ? (2 Viewers)

Wolfgang_UK

Sergeant
Based on the beautiful and successful Thread "What Toy Soldier items Have You Acquired in the Last 2 Weeks?" I had this idea for a new Thread after just returning from the local flea-market here in Bonn Germany.
As Toy Soldier Stores are disappearing more and more I wonder if members would like to share their experiences in searching and hopefully finding our little treasures. Perhaps best leaving out the online puchases at EBAY etc. and direct orders from known dealers. This is common knowledge but how about your local chances of finding interesting things for the hobby (Tools, books paints can all be very interesting).
This could proof to be a nice recommandation for travelling members as well as a pleasant look insight what your region or country has got to offer in this respect. Rather than the credo of the quoted Thread, what items could you not purchase (for various reasons) but still find worthy of sharing here with other members. Be a patriot and let other members see what part of the world - that you call your home - has on offer.

I will start not spareing you the chit-chat plus unsolicited (had to look up this one) tourist information. So here is my totally bias brew of WHERE, WHAT,and HOW.

The Location: Rheinauenpark Bonn right at the banks of old Father Rhine

282_99659_Rheinauenpark_Bonn_klein.jpg

Every three weeks there is the Flea Market stretching over all of the area. It is on the bigger ones in Germany.
It can be reached by public transport, car or the White Fleet.

f99.jpg

Obviously it is "Open Air" but the Bonner will hold out even when rain want´s to spoil the day.
Season is from April to Oktober every third Saturday. No rain this season! Stalls all along the footpaths,- no cars,- this is Germany!

floh2.jpg

You find food and drinks and you may simply leave the footpath if you whish for some quiet moments.
floh1.jpg

Now here it comes. Found this guy with a brilliant collection of old german Tin-Plate
Toys. Scale is 1/24 I could identify Tipco, Arnold, Elastolin and Gescha. These biests are huge.
Superb craftmansship still standing up after almost 100 years.

f4.jpg

f7.jpgf8.jpgf9.jpg

Prices asked where grazy, yet very well worth looking at - see what I mean?
Got myself some cheap tools for my own Tin-plate workshop

ftools.jpg

As my wife could not accompany me due to bad health I found something to cheer her up.
At the age of 58 she decided to love and collect Schleich dinosaurs.
I am a very good husband!

f6.jpg

I hope you like the idea and emjoyed the pictures. The Figures I actually found and bought for
myself today, I will post
with the other thread.

Thank you for your interest
Regards
Wolfgang

Lovely post Wolfgang, very nice!

For me in the UK the yearly toy soldier shows are the best place to get stuff. All the manufacturers come together with their toy soldier products for sale;

As you said the amount for sale on ebay is slowly disappearing. so new stuff from the manufacturers direct is also a must - from Thomas Gunn Miniatures here in UK, K&C, JJD, WP, FL, CS etc. You need to buy stuff as it comes out because sometimes it disappears quickly!

Saimex in Italy is also a good place. They have lots for sale and are always buying collections.

Cheers,

Stefan

I live in a popular Australian Coastal Tourist area, almost Zero chance of finding any Toy Soldier stuff locally.

Went again today for the September market. Saw these Elastolin composition Wild West figures.
Did not buy any as I already got all of them. But I found a few hollow casts and that seated figure.
It is not a hollowcast and I wonder if somebody does know who made it. It is 1/32 (54mm) scale.

Any information on it is very welcome.

xx.jpg

xxx.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back