Why not give FL more shelf-space? (1 Viewer)

mort-aux-rois

Private
I had the pleasure of visiting a toy-soldier shop for the first time this weekend. I was surprised that out of the entire store there were only a handful of FL figures. It seemed to be about 90% K&C, and then rest TG or Jon Jenkins. I could count on my fingers the number of FL figures I saw. I was curious why FL wouldn't be given more shelf space? Does the price difference matter that much when it comes to sales? Is there some reason why people buying their figures in person are more drawn to K&C? At least to my eye, within a similar genre FL figures can be so much more eye-catching. I know I was really hoping to see shelves covered in FL.

Either way, it was nice seeing the store, I'm just curious how these sorts of decisions are made.

I’m gathering you went to Sierra’s store. If so, that’s a question probably best directed to them as to how they stock and exhibit the figures they have for sale.

Many shops allocate shelf based upon demand for the product; more demand more product. I am sure demand for various Toy Soldier manufacturers products varies with location.

Some Toy Soldier manufacturers like Figarti and FL self select for exclusivity by producing only small quantities so fewer are available to go on shelves in shops. K&C produces many more products in multiple lines. Some shops only inventory some manufacturers products i.e.Treefrog does not carry TCS products. Most Toy Soldier manufacturers have online shops which reduces the incentive for a shop to carry the them.

Many shops allocate shelf based upon demand for the product; more demand more product. I am sure demand for various Toy Soldier manufacturers products varies with location.

Some Toy Soldier manufacturers like Figarti and FL self select for exclusivity by producing only small quantities so fewer are available to go on shelves in shops. K&C produces many more products in multiple lines. Some shops only inventory some manufacturers products i.e.Treefrog does not carry TCS products. Most Toy Soldier manufacturers have online shops which reduces the incentive for a shop to carry the them.

do you think toy soldier shops are catering to the collector? or are they trying to grab new first-time collectors to come in off the street? the shop i saw was in an incredibly expensive neighborhood, i was amazed there was enough business to keep it open. for comparison, a few doors down there was a store giving free champagne while you shopped...

Maybe all the First Legion product is already sold and the other products you mention are just filling up the empty shelf space :wink2:

Maybe all the First Legion product is already sold and the other products you mention are just filling up the empty shelf space :wink2:

You wish. You spend too much time with Matt P. :)

I visited Sierra two years ago and loved the store and the amazing displays. But for all practical purposes, no FL on display. The salesperson had to get the figures from my list from the back. So I asked.

I was told that for spontaneous purchasers, FL is just too expensive. So they sell other brands through display. They say they sell FL very well over the internet.

For what it’s worth.

I order my FL through them and spend my Saturdays at their shop when I am in Cali.

When you factor in location, size, inventory and staff, Sierra is the best toy soldier shop in the world.

It's funny that I'm coming across this just now. I'm one of the sales reps and assistant managers at Sierra and I just put out a whole bunch of First Legion Normandy figures into a display that were sitting on the shelf today. I'm also frequently let down by how little FL we have here. There are a number of factors as to why it isn't in regular inventory as much: The obvious reason being we only have so much shelf space. There also isn't as much demand for it as John Jenkins and King & Country. I would assume this is because of the price point. Those two companies still offer a wonderful product for a lower price, therefore it is cheaper for us to hold onto the figures until they sell. It is also more cost effective/ space effective to have them sent to us piece by piece since they are based in the US and the others have to come from overseas which means it is better if we order in bulk for the ones that come from China.

I really wish we just had more space, though. First Legion sells just as well out of the display as the other companies figures. If not, better when I think about how we can't keep the samurai in stock. I have had many dreams about having marvelous displays of line tactics from the age of gunpowder. Rows of Prussians or British Fusiliers with the colors and magnificent detail. I guess I'll have to start my own collection when I start earning more than a retail salary. I think I'll start with Frederick the Great.

Also, thanks for the praise, Panzer Ace.

It's funny that I'm coming across this just now. I'm one of the sales reps and assistant managers at Sierra and I just put out a whole bunch of First Legion Normandy figures into a display that were sitting on the shelf today. I'm also frequently let down by how little FL we have here. There are a number of factors as to why it isn't in regular inventory as much: The obvious reason being we only have so much shelf space. There also isn't as much demand for it as John Jenkins and King & Country. I would assume this is because of the price point. Those two companies still offer a wonderful product for a lower price, therefore it is cheaper for us to hold onto the figures until they sell. It is also more cost effective/ space effective to have them sent to us piece by piece since they are based in the US and the others have to come from overseas which means it is better if we order in bulk for the ones that come from China.

I really wish we just had more space, though. First Legion sells just as well out of the display as the other companies figures. If not, better when I think about how we can't keep the samurai in stock. I have had many dreams about having marvelous displays of line tactics from the age of gunpowder. Rows of Prussians or British Fusiliers with the colors and magnificent detail. I guess I'll have to start my own collection when I start earning more than a retail salary. I think I'll start with Frederick the Great.

thank you...that was an informative post...

The praise is well deserved. All of you have turned the store into a museum where everything is for sale. It doesn't matter whether it is FL, K&C, Jenkins etc., the displays are all fantastic.

Above all else, you put up with me when I am at the shop. That alone may qualify you for sainthood.

I agree with those praises for Sierra Toy Soldier. I do not get to spend nearly enough time there as I used to. But there is a massive amount of things to look at, and want. in a great location too. Mike and Myzka are two of the finest people you will ever meet! I wish I could visit as often as I want to.
If there is something your not seeing, or an era, army, battle, or brand you want, they will guide you to all the choices, and renditions. They know their history too.

I agree with those praises for Sierra Toy Soldier. I do not get to spend nearly enough time there as I used to. But there is a massive amount of things to look at, and want. in a great location too. Mike and Myzka are two of the finest people you will ever meet! I wish I could visit as often as I want to.
If there is something your not seeing, or an era, army, battle, or brand you want, they will guide you to all the choices, and renditions. They know their history too.

Hmm... I am going to be in the area 7/31 to 2/2. Will have to drop by!

.. You will enjoy yourself!!. Its is really good sized store the displays are great!!, and the selections are vast. You might just find something that you have been looking for. That
at are out of production, at Sierra..I know it has happened to me more tham a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back